Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Jan 28, 2003, 03:22 PM   #1
law guy
macrumors 6502a

Are the new Dual G4s Quiet?

There are hints on the rumors news discussion page that Apple has stated it has made these new powermacs quiet, or at least quieter, than the prior offerings. Has anyone seen Apple address the noise issue with regard to the new powermacs? I haven't seen anything yet and assumed Apple just doesn't want to highlight the problem - even if in the past. Are there any technical specifications that would hint at it - a larger (lower frequency) cooling fan and/or sound insulated cases?

I'm hoping for some relief for the poor folks on the g4noise.com site.
law guy is offline   0
Old Jan 28, 2003, 03:33 PM   #2
law guy
macrumors 6502a

The press release on maccentral contains a claim that the noise has been addressed anyway - not specific as to how.

"The noise level was one of the biggest complaints many customers had with the previous generation Power Macs. According to Apple, this problem has been fixed and customers will be happy with the results of the work put into correcting this issue.

'We worked really hard and went over the systems to find every possible way to make the system quieter,' said Tom Boger, Director, Power Mac Product Marketing. 'I'm happy to tell you that we've done that -- when the systems get out in the marketplace, I'm sure our customers are going to be delighted at how quiet these systems are.'

'They are significantly quieter -- these will answer the critics,' added Joswiak."

Hmm.

That "working really hard" appears to have resulted in a non-notebook-friendly-design gigantic heat-sink as seen on the apple site view of the open case. There's also a new - and satisfying -benchmark against a Pent. 3.06 GHz system on apple's tech. specs. page.

Last edited by law guy; Jan 28, 2003 at 05:04 PM.
law guy is offline   0
Old Jan 29, 2003, 09:22 PM   #3
newsguy
macrumors newbie

Replacing Dual 867 fans?

Anyone out there been successful in replacing the stock LOUD fans on the dual 867 with aftermarket products? Gotta go...sounds like a 767 taking off next to me.
newsguy is offline   0
Old Jan 29, 2003, 09:38 PM   #4
Freg3000
macrumors 68000

Re: Replacing Dual 867 fans?

Quote:
Originally posted by newsguy
Gotta go...sounds like a 767 taking off next to me.
It is very loud. I think there are replacement fans but I haven't really heard much about them. Oh well, at least it's fast.

P.S. I bet this next line of Powermacs are just a little less noisy or equally noisy.
Old Jan 29, 2003, 09:42 PM   #5
iJon
macrumors 604

i have the dual ghz with the acbell powersupply. i have had no problems or not hardware replacements. my pc is way louder and its not even loud. my powermac is about 2 feet diagnol from me and i cant hear a thing, silent as a mouse. so are all the new powermacs at work. i have never been around a new powermac that was loud, not that im saying you guys are liars, i am just really lucky.

iJon
iJon is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers