Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kupkakez

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
Austin, TX
Right now I'm living off a 6 year old Windows computer. It runs okay but I'm looking to replace it with an Apple something. I purchased a MacBook thinking that would be the ticket but now I'm not so sure! I'm stuck between should I just stick with an iPad or do I "need" a Mac. I'm coming to you for opinions!

I have very basic computing needs: web browsing, online shopping, casual games (think Facebook-esque games which can be achieved through the app store), banking/bill pay, youtube, movies, music (spotify/pandora). I don't do any work on my personal computers I have a separate work provided Windows laptop for all work tasks.

Is it worth it to splurge on a Mac, and if so which model? I do not have a budget. Or am I better suited saving a few bucks and doing it all on the iPad with possibly a keyboard? I do like the idea of just having an iPad but somewhere I have doubts hence the question.

Thoughts/opinions?

z31fanatic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2015
Mukilteo, WA USA
Macbook Air 11" in my opinion.
iPad would work for you too but I hate web browsing on tablets so I don't recommend it if you spend a lot of time browsing the web.

Airboy1466

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2015
Right now I'm living off a 6 year old Windows computer. It runs okay but I'm looking to replace it with an Apple something. I purchased a MacBook thinking that would be the ticket but now I'm not so sure! I'm stuck between should I just stick with an iPad or do I "need" a Mac. I'm coming to you for opinions!

I have very basic computing needs: web browsing, online shopping, casual games (think Facebook-esque games which can be achieved through the app store), banking/bill pay, youtube, movies, music (spotify/pandora). I don't do any work on my personal computers I have a separate work provided Windows laptop for all work tasks.

Is it worth it to splurge on a Mac, and if so which model? I do not have a budget. Or am I better suited saving a few bucks and doing it all on the iPad with possibly a keyboard? I do like the idea of just having an iPad but somewhere I have doubts hence the question.

Thoughts/opinions?

You should get the new retina MacBook it actually uses a core m processor which Intel intiallly created for tablets but is actually quite powerful so I think you will enjoy it best of both worlds

qcmacmini

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2014
The Netherlands
Macbook Air 11" in my opinion.
iPad would work for you too but I hate web browsing on tablets so I don't recommend it if you spend a lot of time browsing the web.

+1 for MacBook Air 11"! Only because you suggested you wanted to use the iPad with a keyboard.

However, for your basic tasks you would get by with an iPad Air 1, which I think is the best value iPad right now.

fedeARTPOP

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2015
Montevideo, Uruguay.
MAC!

since you already have a big portable screen (your iPhone 6+) , I think you will enjoy better a laptop...MBAir or maybe the new MB (which I found expensive for that specs), the better option would be the MBAir 13", light, thin, beautiful and portable ♥.♥

PS: I have an iPad and I was thinking about selling it ´cause now I want a MBPro,,,and let me tell you...I think iPads may be the worthless Apple product xD

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
PS: I have an iPad and I was thinking about selling it ´cause now I want a MBPro,,,and let me tell you...I think iPads may be the worthless Apple product xD

Worthless Apple product? Obviously you are entitled to an opinion, but I wouldn't go as far as calling it a worthless product.

I have an iPad.. And I would recommend he go with that mainly for the convenience of it. I enjoy my iPad... Has a great choice of apps designed specifically for it. I'd say go with the Air 2.. 2 GB of ram makes for solid iOS peformance.

fedeARTPOP

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2015
Montevideo, Uruguay.
Worthless Apple product? Obviously you are entitled to an opinion, but I wouldn't go as far as calling it a worthless product.

I have an iPad.. And I would recommend he go with that mainly for the convenience of it. I enjoy my iPad... Has a great choice of apps designed specifically for it. I'd say go with the Air 2.. 2 GB of ram makes for solid iOS peformance.

well it can be kinda worthless, almost every iPad app you can get it on your iPhone or in any Mac, and shes comparing iPad to a Mac, and a Mac will be always more productive than an iPad ;)

NYCkid

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2015
NYC
well it just boils down to whether you'd prefer to hold a handheld, or something bigger?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.