Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Elle is the first magazine to feature the Apple Watch in Australia with a fashion shoot starring the publication's in-house fashion editor Sara Smith. The multi-page style guide in the latest April issue offers women tips on how to make the Apple Watch work with different wardrobes depending on the time and place, such as during the weekend, at a cocktail party or in the workplace.

Elle.jpg
Apple continues to carefully curate the Apple Watch's image and exercise control over the way it's portrayed in magazines, positioning the wrist-worn device as a fashion item first and a technology device second. Apple wants the Apple Watch to be seen as trendy and sporty, perhaps in an attempt to avoid the device being viewed as overly technical and unfashionable as some people have opined about other wearables.
"For a cocktail party: Wear with a tuxedo suit and sexy heels (think Le Smoking Saint Laurent style with Alexander Wang black heels), or if you have the legs for it, a killer cocktail dress. Mix statement jewels with your watch. Try a fabulous cocktail ring and Cartier's Love Bracelet would look great sitting side by side with your Apple Watch. It will be the perfect conversation starter at a party."
Apple Watch has been featured in several fashion and fitness magazines worldwide in recent months, including Self, Vogue, Style, East Touch, YOHO and Fitness Magazine. The wrist-worn device will be available April 24, with pre-orders starting April 10 in the United States, Australia, Canada, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan and United Kingdom. Apple Watch starts at $349 for the Sport model, while the 18-karat gold edition will retail for upwards of $10,000.

Article Link: Apple Watch Makes First Australian Magazine Appearance Inside 'Elle'

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
Looking very much forward to getting an Watch.

Not accustomed to reading Elle, but the "what to wear to match your watch" seems vapid to the point of being patronizing.

NIKKG

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2012
This thing is gonna be a dud. It'll sell well initially for the diehard Apple fans than it will fizzle out. Its not Apple's fault, people just don't wear watches anymore as they used to, so I don't think Apple, Google, or Samsung are going to reverse that trend no matter what they try.

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
I'm sorry, but this thing just doesn't look premium or attractive in the least. All I see is an ipod nano worth a wrist band.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I'm sorry, but this thing just doesn't look premium or attractive in the least. All I see is an ipod nano worth a wrist band.

Why, because it's square and not round? What would make it "premium" to you?

solipsism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2008
This thing is gonna be a dud. It'll sell well initially for the diehard Apple fans than it will fizzle out. Its not Apple's fault, people just don't wear watches anymore as they used to, so I don't think Apple, Google, or Samsung are going to reverse that trend no matter what they try.

I can imagine you in 2010 saying, "This thing is gonna be a dud. It'll sell well initially for the diehard Apple fans than it will fizzle out. Its not Apple's fault, people just don't want to use a large iPod Touch when they have a real computer to use, and if tablets with a real OS weren't successful for 3 decades before the iPad I don't think Apple, Google, or Samsung are going to reverse that trend with a mobile OS no matter what they try."

Last edited:

sputnikv

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2009
Why, because it's square and not round? What would make it "premium" to you?

He has no idea. He, like all of us are browsing a tech site. We don't know jack about fashion. At least some of us don't pretend to

armandxp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
Orlando, FL
I can't wait till after the apple watch comes out. I can finally do the 'Told ya so' dance from Will and Grace, after it's the best selling Fashion accessory ever. LOL.

chasemac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2005
In a house.
I just dont get the appeal of apple watch. Maybe I'll want one when they get it to work without an iPhone. I haven't worn a watch in years.

A MacBook lover

Suspended
May 22, 2009
D.C.
Dark gray sport and black band for me, if I get one. Going to want to actually see it work first...something tells me I'm going to fall in love.

DanielSw

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2009
Clearwater, FL
The  Watch is not for everyone. Neither is the iPhone, nor any given Apple product, for that matter.

They're way too smart to succumb to clever Apple marketing; way too smart and committed to spending the least for the most; way too smart to enter "the walled garden."

But the  Watch is destined to disrupt at least several industries. Can't wait to get mne.

solipsism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2008
Dark gray sport and black band for me, if I get one. Going to want to actually see it work first...something tells me I'm going to fall in love.

1) If I get one, that's what I'm looking at, too. I'll have to give it a full test in the store before I make that jump.

2) I wonder if they'll have test iPhones in which they are pre-paired, if you use your own iPhone for the demo, or if the Watch have some demo setup that allows it to mimic having an iPhone paired without actually needing one.

3) I'm surprised Watch Sport doesn't cost more (and I kind of wish it did) since it's the one I want. Because (in each size) there are 4 with the silver aluminium and only with the black aluminium I think that in the 42mm size is going to the hardest one to come by.

Jakexb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2014
The writing there sounds like parody-level stuff. Is that really what Elle is like?

Mascots

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
2) I wonder if they'll have test iPhones in which they are pre-paired, if you use your own iPhone for the demo, or if the Watch have some demo setup that allows it to mimic having an iPhone paired without actually needing one.

While I don't have a definite answer, I have a guess to number 2. They will probably have iPhones prepaired or a custom set up to handle the In-store models.

That gives them control over the content marketed at you (like Apps on iPhone and iPad now) and guarantees the customer can use it.

As far as technical evidence - when pairing and unpairing an  Watch, it will wipe data and prompt for a set up similar to iOS setup that allows you to restore a backup or set up a new device. While it'd be useful In the store setup (watches always have wiped data between pairs), I think that the overhead would eat into preview time or discourage window shopping.

As for #3, I'll be at the gate with you ready to race to that "Buy" button :p

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
So, they give advice on what to wear and how to complement your Apple Watch, but no advice on where to put your iPhone?

'Remember ladies, you'll need at least a clutch purse no matter what.'

Or perhaps your partner/date will have to carry your phone?

SteveJobs2.0

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Um, most of the colour and material options are neutral enough to match almost any outfit. How much advice do women need to pick it out their outfit with something as benign as an apple watch? :/

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
Um, most of the colour and material options are neutral enough to match almost any outfit. How much advice do women need to pick it out their outfit with something as benign as an apple watch? :/

Most lifestyle magazines recycle the same 20 or so stories all the time. And of course most people don't read them. I imagine most people buying fashion magazines like to see the new clothes and ads.

Elle has a worldwide circulation of 6 million. That leaves literally billions of women who aren't seeking its advice.

If I were writing a fashion article about the Apple Watch I'd focus on how you can use different straps for different occasions.

solipsism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2008
While I don't have a definite answer, I have a guess to number 2. They will probably have iPhones prepaired or a custom set up to handle the In-store models.

That gives them control over the content marketed at you (like Apps on iPhone and iPad now) and guarantees the customer can use it.

As far as technical evidence - when pairing and unpairing an  Watch, it will wipe data and prompt for a set up similar to iOS setup that allows you to restore a backup or set up a new device. While it'd be useful In the store setup (watches always have wiped data between pairs), I think that the overhead would eat into preview time or discourage window shopping.

I agree with that. The simplest and most consumer friendly experience is simply to have an iPhone paired with each Watch inside the display table so that all the apps they are currently advertising (like we've seen with demos of iDevices) with Watch apps will simply work without.

As for #3, I'll be at the gate with you ready to race to that "Buy" button :p

Then you'll beat me. I know which one I'd likely buy but I'm not sure I'll buy anything until I can put it on first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.