Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Larrabee213

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 27, 2009
It has been almost two weeks since the release of the new 2015 13" rMBPs and I am curious what people thing of it so far?

On a whim I picked up one of the 512GB models yesterday while in the Apple store to see if I could downsize from my 15" as I am doing lots of travel now for work. The smaller footprint and weight would make a big difference.

I have been throwing some Adobe Premiere editing at it and it runs super smooth. Exporting takes about 1.8x as long as my late 2013 15" rMBP, but I am totally able to do other work while it is exporting in the background. And it still stays pretty cool throughout the export above and below and the fan's aren't very loud. I am going to try and put it through the paces this week, but I think I am sold.

What kind of difference with the 16GB RAM upgrade make? I am guessing that the CPU is the thing really working on the exceeding/exporting of videos.

Also the force touch trackpad is really great. I have been a tap to touch person, but the first click is just right and quiet while feeling like a click.

So new 13" rMPB owners, what have you been throwing at your new machine? What do you think?

Last edited:

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
It gets a little Warner than I'm used to but stays very quiet. I'm dealing with a little bit of uneven screen tint with parts of the middle a very slight yellow compared to the rest. It's only apparent when staring at pages with white backgrounds for several seconds, but yet it's one of those things you can't un-see once you see it. Debating whether or not to get an exchange just given all the horror stories on here.

FutureDancer

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2015
I find it runs much hotter than the Macbook Pro Late 2013. I have one of those as well. I'm finding it quite uncomfortable to use. My palms are sweating alot :(

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I have the 2015 rMBP 13" with the 512 GB storage, 8 GB, 2.9 GHz i5 Broadwell, which I purchased at Best Buy. Mine has no issues whatsoever, no uneven tint/screen. I find it that it runs a lot cooler than my Early 2011 model cMBP. No heat issues, no fan noise issues as well. Everything is just perfect.

As for the force touch trackpad, this is one of the reason why I decided to upgrade from my 2011 cMBP to the 2015 rMBP. But It's awesome that I can push anywhere and it will click, unlike my old one it's a diving board mechanism, which was okay.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
I have the 2015 rMBP 13" with the 512 GB storage, 8 GB, 2.9 GHz i5 Broadwell, which I purchased at Best Buy. Mine has no issues whatsoever, no uneven tint/screen. I find it that it runs a lot cooler than my Early 2011 model cMBP. No heat issues, no fan noise issues as well. Everything is just perfect.

As for the force touch trackpad, this is one of the reason why I decided to upgrade from my 2011 cMBP to the 2015 rMBP. But It's awesome that I can push anywhere and it will click, unlike my old one it's a diving board mechanism, which was okay.

On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 feeling like a genuine click, how does the Force Touch feel when you click down? I'm curious because I heard the Force Touch only mimics a click, and doesn't actually click.

diesel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2007
On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 feeling like a genuine click, how does the Force Touch feel when you click down? I'm curious because I heard the Force Touch only mimics a click, and doesn't actually click.

Feels like a real click to me though I don't need to press as hard to feel the "click" as compared to the previous mechanical touchpad but I definitely "feel" a click even if it's not real.

baxxx

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2015

I'm no expert, but it feels like a click to me. I'd say a 9 or a 10. I was a bit iffy after reading about it, but I really love it so far.

hsloo

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2015
Hi, i am actually hope to get the 2015 rMBP 13" for its weight and size. However, I wish to load in my Adobe CC ie; Premier Pro and After effect. I believed Premier Pro should be run good, how about After Effect? Did anyone try? Mind to share? I believed people will ask me to go for 15" for Quad Core but the weight is quite a killing. Am I really push too hard on 13"?

Larrabee213

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 27, 2009
Hi, i am actually hope to get the 2015 rMBP 13" for its weight and size. However, I wish to load in my Adobe CC ie; Premier Pro and After effect. I believed Premier Pro should be run good, how about After Effect? Did anyone try? Mind to share? I believed people will ask me to go for 15" for Quad Core but the weight is quite a killing. Am I really push too hard on 13"?

I have been doing a lot with Adobe Premiere. Adding effects during playback of 1080p uncompressed video is butter smooth. The only real hit I have seen is at the export due to the dual core i5 vs the quad core i7 of the 15".

Any other impressions from others? I am pretty on the fence about making this my main machine. I love the size and it is a hell of a machine.

katit

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2015
My first MakBook. And I'm impressed. I got 16/512 configuration. Unless I run VM with Windows in normal use (checking internet :)) it's not heating and battery lasts forever.

Trackpad is a first one EVER on laptop when I actually like it and don't feel like plugging mouse right away. Click is amazing. I can't tell it's not actually "clicking". Just cool.. Really impressive, almost no regrets on money spent

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Back in November I got a 2014 13" Air and loved it, even chose it over the retina 13" Pro at that time due to Log Me In retina issues. I visited my local Apple store today after work to check out the new 13" retina MBP and walked out with one! Went with the 2.7/8gb/256gb model. Damn you Apple!

The retina screen is just so darn nice compared to the Air, I can't justify using the Air anymore as great as it is. Especially now that the 2015 retina MBP gained a bit more battery life compared to last year.

I was giggling like a kid when trying the new trackpad, to me it feels just like the old mechanical trackpad and I couldn't believe it. To answer another poster's question, on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being "feels like a real click" it is absolutely a 10. I have it set to "firm." The click feels just a bit shallower than using the old mechanical trackpad, but difference is negligible. It feels like a click and sounds like a click. Unbelievable. Maybe I get amazed easily, haha.

Got home and did my obligatory dead pixel and screen uniformity tests and all is well. The weight difference between the Air and MBP isn't bothering me yet and I don't think it will be an issue. My Log Me In retina resolution issues are tolerable I decided, considering everything else about the retina Pro 13" is awesome to me. I haven't had it long enough to gauge battery life so can't comment on that. If I get 9-10 hours with light usage (internet, office) I will be very happy.

First impulse buy I've made in many years. So worth it :D

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
I've used a MBA for several years, and this MBP is like a breath of fresh air. Honestly, the day before I bought it I was happily using my 2013 MBA debating whether or not I should even get the new MBP because there was really nothing wrong with my old laptop. Today I was getting the Air ready to be shipped to the dude I sold it to on eBay, and looking at the screen made me cringe. I can't believe how quickly that low resolution became unacceptable to me after using the MBP.

It's fast, it's beautiful, and I absolutely think it's the best computer I've ever owned. Even plays WoW at a respectable clip (before anyone asks, I limit my framerate to 34fps and have the graphics set to Fair; it's good enough for me and the fans don't kick on much).

I have been a tap to touch person, but the first click is just right and quiet while feeling like a click.

Exact same; the click feeling is amazing and having it set to medium feels right. I never clicked on my MBA trackpad; I wouldn't not want to click with my MBP. It's crazy.

technosix

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2015
West Coast USA
I find it runs much hotter than the Macbook Pro Late 2013. I have one of those as well. I'm finding it quite uncomfortable to use. My palms are sweating alot :(

Apple has always had a preference for engineering their laptops to run hot. In turn they set the allowable temp specifically very high so most Macs don't exceed the number. Finally, if a Mac does run up to the spec it's designed to shut down to prevent damage. That's how Apple chooses to do things, it's up to users to become acclimated to the heat accordingly. Usually one gets use to the Apple way.

dexterbell

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2015
Had it for a day, bought a mid 2014 rMBP 15 off CL and returned the 13. The new trackpad is cool but its sadly underpowered for a $1300 laptop in 2015 when it comes to photo/video editing IMO.

fenskezen

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2011
I have had my 2915 rMBP for a week now and it is amazing. I am coming from an early 2008 white MacBook, so of course it is a big move up. My little white MacBook is still running perfectly so I was not even sure if I wanted a new machine. Now, there is no going back. The trackpad is unreal. From 1-10, 10 being s real click, it is a 10. And being able to click anywhere is a plus.
My screen is perfect. Nothing but love here.
Ps I think it really clicks. Joke is on us.

nj-mac-user

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2009
TX

If you can, go into an Apple Store or Best Buy and try it out for yourself. I guarantee you won't realize that it's not actually clicking. The click sensitivity can be adjusted, and when on the firmest setting it feels almost exactly like the old diving board trackpad of previous models to me. Truly an amazing trackpad. I say 10.

addictzz

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
Tried the force-touch gimmick and I must say it's very hard for me to differentiate with normal hinged trackpad. I checked and observed the trackpad a few times when I am clicking because I was not sure I am testing the new rMBP.

Definitely feels just like normal trackpad. 10/10 for me.

Now what lacks is the discrete GPU but if it runs hot with integrated GPU, can you imagine how it will be like with discrete GPU?

CJM

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2005
U.K.
It has been almost two weeks since the release of the new 2015 13" rMBPs and I am curious what people thing of it so far?

On a whim I picked up one of the 512GB models yesterday while in the Apple store to see if I could downsize from my 15" as I am doing lots of travel now for work. The smaller footprint and weight would make a big difference.

I have been throwing some Adobe Premiere editing at it and it runs super smooth. Exporting takes about 1.8x as long as my late 2013 15" rMBP, but I am totally able to do other work while it is exporting in the background. And it still stays pretty cool throughout the export above and below and the fan's aren't very loud. I am going to try and put it through the paces this week, but I think I am sold.

What kind of difference with the 16GB RAM upgrade make? I am guessing that the CPU is the thing really working on the exceeding/exporting of videos.

Also the force touch trackpad is really great. I have been a tap to touch person, but the first click is just right and quiet while feeling like a click.

So new 13" rMPB owners, what have you been throwing at your new machine? What do you think?

I think if I bought a new Mac now, I'd want 16GB of RAM. I burn through 8GB on my Air with a few (read - 15-20) Safari tabs. Chuck in a Parallels VM on top and it starts chugging.

Going to be ordering one of these new Retinas for my grandfather as he just called wanting to buy his first laptop. Good to know the trackpad feels normal.

Larrabee213

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 27, 2009
I am so torn on sticking with my 15" late-2015 rMBP or moving to the 2015 13" rMBP. I just love the size of the 13" especially knowing I am going to be doing lots of travel across the country, Japan, and Germany in the next few months...

From what I have throw at it the 8GB of ram seems to be good, and I can always by a newer model in a year or 18 months if I need it. I am able to still do plenty of stuff while I have video encoding in background with Premiere's media encoder queue.

Anyone want to tip me one way or the other?

Eldiablojoe

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2009
West Koast
I am so torn on sticking with my 15" late-2015 rMBP or moving to the 2015 13" rMBP. I just love the size of the 13" especially knowing I am going to be doing lots of travel across the country, Japan, and Germany in the next few months...
How do you have a late-2015 rMBP if this is only March?

madflava54

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2011

From what I have throw at it the 8GB of ram seems to be good, and I can always by a newer model in a year or 18 months if I need it. I am able to still do plenty of stuff while I have video encoding in background with Premiere's media encoder queue.

I returned my 2015 13'' rMBP and got a 2014 15'' rMBP. Same amount of ram. I am loving the extra screen real estate. Running smoother so far. I read a lot of PDFs for work and I couldn't stand the lag with scrolling through pages when I would refer back. I was able to maximize the student discount and 10% movers coupon at Bestbuy. It was an extra $220 to go up to the 15'' for me. I hope I don't miss out on the Force touchpad in the future....but I couldn't stand the UI lag on a brand new 2015 rMBP with 16 GB of ram.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009

I'm in the same boat! I love the power of my 15" quad-core, but I used the 13" for a while and the portability of it is making me think about downsizing to the 13" for good.

Larrabee213

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 27, 2009
DO you really need 16GB of Ram if the heaviest stuff you will be doing is Adobe Premiere?

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
Tried the force-touch gimmick and I must say it's very hard for me to differentiate with normal hinged trackpad. I checked and observed the trackpad a few times when I am clicking because I was not sure I am testing the new rMBP.

Definitely feels just like normal trackpad. 10/10 for me.

Now what lacks is the discrete GPU but if it runs hot with integrated GPU, can you imagine how it will be like with discrete GPU?

The force-touch thing is strikingly convincing. I tried one at the store and it feels just like a regular click, but maybe a bit "softer." A couple times it had an extraneous click though when I wasn't even pressing.

Now, I'm one of those weird people that likes "tap to click" so I rarely click my trackpad anyway. But I could definitely see the benefit of force touch especially as more app developers come up with creative ways to use it.

Meanwhile I'm holding on to my haswell model, and will probably upgrade once Skylake versions come out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.