Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imac2015

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2015
I have a 2013 iMac and would like to be able to hook it up to a DVR cable receiver (Time Warner Cable -- NYC). I'm not looking to record television programs on my iMac since I already have a DVR cable receiver -- I just want the iMac to be able to show live programs on it as if it were a regular TV hooked up to a cable receiver .
There are two issues that I see --
1. Being able to hook it up as the DVR cable box uses HDMI, and my iMac only has USB and Thunderbolt inputs.
2. What program I would have to have to have to allow the output of the cable receiver to show on the iMac.
Thanks.

matreya

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Without additional hardware you cannot use your iMac to watch your cable TV shows.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Most cable TV in the US is encrypted, so you need something that can process the signal. Some DVRs and such that work with the particular service have cablecards (which is used to verify the decoding) and maybe features to beam to your iMac. I think some TiVos can do this. Or Slingbox.

Your iMac isn't a monitor, so you can't plug it into the HDMI port as one (some Macs can use iMacs as monitors, but only Macs). The DVR-to-Mac solutions usually involve some sort of streaming over your local ethernet or wifi network, not video cables.

But since internet TV has become more prevalent, these solutions are falling away. Time Warner, for instance, has a streaming feature you should be able to use without any hardware, just a fastish internet connection. Rather than stream from a box in your home, it streams from the internet. But not all programs may be available.

matreya

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009

jmantn

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2012
Tn
Dish Network's Hopper with Sling makes this a reality on any web enabled device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.