Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

os_x_yosemite_round_icon.jpg
Apple today seeded the fifth beta of OS X Yosemite to developers, almost a month after seeding the first OS X 10.10.3 beta and just a week after releasing the fourth beta to developers.

The new beta, build 14D113c, is available for registered developers through the Software Update mechanism in the Mac App Store and through the Mac Dev Center. Yosemite Recovery Update 3.0 is also available.

With today's update, Apple has continued polishing the Photos for OS X app, and there are just two remaining known issues with the software, including an issue with favorites and a problem with missing thumbnails when restoring an Aperture-upgraded Photos library with Time Machine.

Earlier betas of OS X 10.10.3 have brought several new features to Yosemite, including the new Photos for OS X app. Designed to integrate with iCloud Photo Library, Photos for OS X is a replacement for both iPhoto and Aperture and is on track to see an early 2015 public launch. Reviews have suggested that while Photos is a suitable replacement for iPhoto, with more advanced tools and performance optimizations, it may leave professional users disappointed.

Along with the new Photos for OS X app, the first two OS X 10.10.3 betas introduced a redesigned emoji picker that consolidates emoji into a single page with clear labels, new diversified emoji and emoji skin tone modifiers, new flag emoji and updated emoji for the iPhone, iMac, and Apple Watch, and support for Google 2-step verification when setting up accounts in System Preferences.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Fifth OS X 10.10.3 Yosemite Beta to Developers, Public Beta Testers

darnovo

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2009
is 5 betas typical for a dot release? I was actually hoping this would get pushed live today but I guess not.

NMBob

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2007
New Mexico
is 5 betas typical for a dot release? I was actually hoping this would get pushed live today but I guess not.

They are either having problems or fixing problems. I don't think there is any "rules" these days. They seem to be doing more testing these days which isn't a bad thing. I know selecting a word, right-clicking, and using Look Up... is broken in b4. Downloading...

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
They're getting more frequent, so release is a imminent. It's been relatively stable for me. I like Photos and how it took my iPhoto events and seamlessly imported them.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
Why is new emoji a major highlight of an OS update? I'm sure you could find something significant to highlight. This is silly nonsense. The whole making it more diverse thing is ridiculous, emoji originated in Japan, so it was culturally correct for people in that country, it was later brought to the US and other countries, and, years later, some weirdo complains that the "people" are yellow (smiley faces are typically yellow, emoji are smiley faces). Arg.

Kadang

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2015
Denmark
They're getting more frequent, so release is a imminent. It's been relatively stable for me. I like Photos and how it took my iPhoto events and seamlessly imported them.

Yep - same here - but still - The Look-up-Lockup (tm) is still happening for me on B4 - Hope this fixes that!

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Hopefully this solves my wifi problem that was not present in any other betas.

When waking from sleep, there is about a minute delay before internet access works.

scottct1

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
Connecticut USA
A big thing for me is that it has Yosemite Recovery Update Built in, so hopefully it works and I can reinstall over the top of my existing version as Safari tells me that I need to reinstall it every time I try running it.

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
Did anyone have to turn off the HTTP, and HTTPS, network settings; and turn on Auto Proxy Discovery with the last beta?

I'm assuming it had to with WiFi issues that everyone keeps complaining about, but right after I turned on the Auto everything started working fine....

Hopefully, this update is better.

DaveTheRave

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2003
Does anyone know if the new Photo app does anything to reduce the bloat of iPhoto libraries? I heard iPhoto takes up more space due to thumbnail images, maybe other stuff too.

rhysmorgan

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Why is new emoji a major highlight of an OS update? I'm sure you could find something significant to highlight. This is silly nonsense. The whole making it more diverse thing is ridiculous, emoji originated in Japan, so it was culturally correct for people in that country, it was later brought to the US and other countries, and, years later, some weirdo complains that the "people" are yellow (smiley faces are typically yellow, emoji are smiley faces). Arg.

Because Emoji have become ubiquitous, for better or worse, in the rest of the world.
And why shouldn't they be more representative of people if they can be? The ability to add modifiers doesn't even apply to every Emoji. Many of the standard yellow emoji aren't even able to have skin-tone modifiers.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
May 1.

Early: January - April
Mid: May - August
Late: September - December

Exactly. Think about ages.

Life expectancy: 71 years
Someone 0 - 24 is in the early years in their life (Jan Feb Mar April)
Someone 25 - 49 is in the prime of their life (May June July Aug)
Someone 50 - 71 is in the late years of their life (Sept Oct Nov Dec)

To the OP (not the one I'm replying to), you're telling me someone 17 (late March) is not early in their life?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.