Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
:mad:

I have a MBPr. I came from 3 windows laptops.

I love it. It's great. Mail, calendar, etc are all very convenient.

But when this thing dies, I'm going back to Windows.

I paid $1585, and I'm sick of the the little things.

For example, it was running hot because of dust.

Then I opened it, cleaned the dust and now it runs faster and cooler, but now it creaks.

I rather just spend $500 bucks so if it creaks crackles and pops, I won't care.

For $1585, it just annoys me so much. Now that I'm no longer under warranty, they want $29 just for talking about it.

FML

Windows For Life, seriously y'all this is too much for me. I've had it with Apple.

Last edited:

winkosmosis

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2012
Hawaii
What do you mean it creaks? Like you press on it and the body creaks?

Good luck finding a Windows laptop with better build quality

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN

Then I opened it, cleaned the dust and now it runs faster and cooler, but now it creaks.

For $1585, it just annoys me so much. Now that I'm no longer under warranty, they want $29 just for talking about it.

FML

Windows For Life, seriously y'all this is too much for me. I've had it with Apple.

I've had my late-2013 13" rMBP since its launch (i7/16/512) and I have yet to come across a single issue (aside from a tiny dent I made on it entirely due to my fault).

It's running fine, running in clamshell mode most of the time, normally with a VM running in the background plus Photoshop and a small FCP X instance. I've never opened it up to clean it out, I've only run a vacuum cleaner along its vents but that's about it. Idle temperatures are about 47-55ºC normally.

It's more like you're just too nitpicky on everything.

You should not have opened it in the first place, they're not meant to be opened. It creaked entirely due to your own fault.

Almost every post I've seen you post in the forums are rants/complaints.

Last edited:

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA

FML

Did you tighten everything properly? Where is it creaking?

If only you had gotten that extra rMBP you mentioned in your other thread, then you could open it up and be running creak free.

Good luck finding a Windows laptop with better build quality

For sure.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Did you tighten everything properly? Where is it creaking?

If only you had gotten that extra rMBP you mentioned in your other thread, then you could open it up and be running creak free.

For sure.

At the Palm rest.

And you should be able to open it, clean out dust, and put it back without creaking.

Anyone who seriously thinks this isn't an issue search on this forum for creaking.

The late 2013 has a design problem for MANY users.

I had 3 windows. Were there problems? YES!

Was the build quality not nearly as good? YES!

Was it dirt cheap and worked excellent 99% of the time? YES!

There you go. Windows laptops, many of them are garbage compared to Macs in terms of quality yadda yadda

But they're dirt cheap, and work just fine almost all the time. That's the difference.

With Macs you pay the money, then find yourself at the genius bar.

Don't believe me? Visit one. Good luck getting an appointment

steve1960

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2014
Singapore
I think the OP has kind of mixed up software and hardware in his rant. Back in 2000 when I got divorced I spent a considerable amount of time collecting my daughters Windows computers and fixing software issues for a whole variety of reasons. In 2005 I bought her first Mac laptop. She is now on her third and in all this time I have never ever had to touch the software.

Despite this (well at least in my view) irrefutable evidence it took me until 2013 to buy my first Mac laptop. I have to use Windows at work but for my home computer and my wife's I would never go back. OSX is just so much more stable and hassle free and I find it a pleasure to use.

The hardware, at least for me has been more of a worry. No events just a worry. In my entire life the only PC failures I have experienced were worn out hard disc drives.

It was not until after buying my used early 2011 15 inch MBP that I joined this forum and found out about Radeongate and the issues that have plagued the later NVidia GPU laptops. Nothing has gone wrong with my laptop as yet but that worry is always in the back of my mind.

On the flip side we have two MBA's and three iPad's none of which have the spectre of failure hanging over them. Based on those experiences I would say that I will stay with Apple hardware even if the 2011 logic board dies at some time soon.

nobodyjustwalks

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2013
The fact that there was so much dust that it impacted performance seems strange to me. Things don't just get like that. Dust doesn't just build up and clog vents by by itself.

What really happens is that consumers and users are ignorant of their usage habits and these habits negatively impact the products in question. To vent about something that, by your post, seems entirely of your making is silly. Take responsibility for how the dust ended up in there.

25 years of using Macs and I've yet to have a Mac run poorly because of an excessive accumulation of dust. Other problems I get. And we see them constantly posted on these forums. But to say the machine runs poorly because it's clogged with dust? Well then don't use it in dusty places. Or clean it more often. It's not the machine's fault.

Don't mean this in a mean way. Just saying...

steve1960

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2014
Singapore
I think the OP has kind of mixed up software and hardware in his rant. Back in 2000 when I got divorced I spent a considerable amount of time collecting my daughters Windows computers and fixing software issues for a whole variety of reasons. In 2005 I bought her first Mac laptop. She is now on her third and in all this time I have never ever had to touch the software.

Despite this (well at least in my view) irrefutable evidence it took me until 2013 to buy my first Mac laptop. I have to use Windows at work but for my home computer and my wife's I would never go back. OSX is just so much more stable and hassle free and I find it a pleasure to use.

The hardware, at least for me has been more of a worry. No events just a worry. In my entire life the only PC failures I have experienced were worn out hard disc drives.

It was not until after buying my used early 2011 15 inch MBP that I joined this forum and found out about Radeongate and the issues that have plagued the later NVidia GPU laptops. Nothing has gone wrong with my laptop as yet but that worry is always in the back of my mind.

On the flip side we have two MBA's and three iPad's none of which have the spectre of failure hanging over them. Based on those experiences I would say that I will stay with Apple hardware even if the 2011 logic board dies at some time soon.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
The fact that there was so much dust that it impacted performance seems strange to me. Things don't just get like that. Dust doesn't just build up and clog vents by by itself.

What really happens is that consumers and users are ignorant of their usage habits and these habits negatively impact the products in question. To vent about something that, by your post, seems entirely of your making is silly. Take responsibility for how the dust ended up in there.

25 years of using Macs and I've yet to have a Mac run poorly because of an excessive accumulation of dust. Other problems I get. And we see them constantly posted on these forums. But to say the machine runs poorly because it's clogged with dust? Well then don't use it in dusty places. Or clean it more often. It's not the machine's fault.

Don't mean this in a mean way. Just saying...

Oh yes it is. It's completely Apples fault- 100%

I used 3 Windows laptops and were there issues?

Yes. As someone said, mainly software. Hardware was great.

For my MBPr, software is flawless. Love it.

But the hardware sucks.

Why is it creaking?

I didn't make it creak. Apple did.

I'm not ignorant. That's an insult. Apple is ignorant for making a laptop that creaks.

I challenge you to search this forum for creaky late 2013 MacBooks.

Why does this cost $1585 again? I could've bought a laptop for $500 bucks- no creaks.

Software bugs, probably. But that's every Windows laptop. Get a cheap one. Done.

nobodyjustwalks

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2013
Oh yes it is. It's completely Apples fault- 100%

I used 3 Windows laptops and were there issues?

Yes. As someone said, mainly software. Hardware was great.

For my MBPr, software is flawless. Love it.

But the hardware sucks.

Why is it creaking?

I didn't make it creak. Apple did.

I'm not ignorant. That's an insult. Apple is ignorant for making a laptop that creaks.

I challenge you to search this forum for creaky late 2013 MacBooks.

Cherry picking what to respond to I see. I'm referring to the issue that started this whole mess--dust. Excessive dust by your description. And how did it get there? Magic? Are you really not going to take responsibility for that? Great...have fun with that.

The comment about "ignorance" was not meant as an insult to you. But take it however you like. There was nothing negative implied. Only my reasoning that we as consumers are not always "aware," hence "ignorant," of how we use our devices, hence the wear and tear issues that crop up over time.

Creaking laptop? I could care less that your laptop is creaking. Why? Because that's your laptop, your issue. Try reading carefully and slowly next time instead of with the obvious anger and frustration that was the impetus behind your original post.

Great. It's all Apple's fault. Go grab a Windows laptop. You win. I'll keep my MacBook Pro. Seems to work like a charm for me.

Sorry to see you go. Hooray Acer and Dell! Lolll. Jeez.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Cherry picking what to respond to I see. I'm referring to the issue that started this whole mess--dust. Excessive dust by your description. And how did it get there? Magic? Are you really not going to take responsibility for that? Great...have fun with that.

The comment about "ignorance" was not meant as an insult to you. But take it however you like. There was nothing negative implied. Only my reasoning that we as consumers are not always "aware," hence "ignorant," of how we use our devices, hence the wear and tear issues that crop up over time.

Creaking laptop? I could care less that your laptop is creaking. Why? Because that's your laptop, your issue. Try reading carefully and slowly next time instead of with the obvious anger and frustration that was the impetus behind your original post.

Great. It's all Apple's fault. Go grab a Windows laptop. You win. I'll keep my MacBook Pro. Seems to work like a charm for me.

Sorry to see you go. Hooray Acer and Dell! Lolll. Jeez.

You don't have the answer. I don't see how this ISN'T 100% Apple's fault.

Also, why are there scores of threads with unhappy people with creaky laptops.

Some people just want to believe Apple is perfect and they do everything right. They can't admit that Apple makes mistakes too like every other company because it's how they get their self-confidence.

Yes Windows laptops like Acer, etc aren't nearly as nice. There will be problems too.

But you get to save about 1,000 bucks. And they run great almost all the time.

Last edited:

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
I will say this:

The software is *perfect* on my MBPr. It's extremely great to use. I love it.

I did have software issues with Windows in terms of malware and spyware because of the sites I'd visit hehe :D

The hardware though is better than MacBooks.

nobodyjustwalks

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2013
If you came from Windows, how do you like your MBPr and would you go back? (R...

You don't have the answer. Explain to me why my laptop creaks and why this isn't Apple's fault. You're just dodging my question. I don't see how this ISN'T 100% Apple's fault.

Also tell me why there's scores of threads with unhappy people with creaky laptops.

Some people just want to believe Apple is perfect and they do everything right. They can't admit that Apple makes mistakes too like every other company because it's how they get their confidence.

Yes Windows laptops like Acer, etc aren't nearly as nice. There will be problems too.

But you get to save about 1,000 bucks. And they run great almost all the time.

I'm not dodging your question. I don't care to answer it. Do you read my response before typing away yours. I DONT CARE THAT YOUR LAPTOP CREAKS. You're talking about the "effect" I'm talking about the "cause."

QUIT GETTING YOUR LAPTOP DUSTY AND MAYBE YOU WONT HAVE TO OPEN IT IN THE FUTURE.

I don't think Apple's perfect but youʻre sitting there on your computer trying to win an argument with your 101 reasons why PCs are a value buy to someone who could care less about "your" reasons.

You keep asking me to explain this and explain that? What are you 12?

Yawn. Goodnight. Goodluck with your Mac. :)

Last edited:

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
I'm not dodging your question. I don't care to answer it. Do you read what my response before typing away yours. I DONT CARE THAT YOUR LAPTOP CREAKS. You're taking about the "effect" I'm taking about the "cause."

QUIT GETTING YOUR LAPTOP DUSTY AND MAYBE YOU WONT HAVE TO OPEN IT IN THE FUTURE.

I don't think Apple's perfect but your sitting there on your computer trying to win an argument with your 101 reasons why PCs are a value buy to someone who could care less about "your" reasons.

You keep asking me to explain this and explain that? What are you 12?

Yawn. Goodnight. Goodluck with your Mac. :)

Deep down inside you know you care because here you are talking about it.

Last edited:

Gofre

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2011
You don't have the answer. Explain to me why my laptop creaks and why this isn't Apple's fault. I don't see how this ISN'T 100% Apple's fault.

Correct me if I've gone wrong and misread your OP, but didn't you say that the creaking only started after you opened up your computer and tried cleaning it out? Without knowing exactly what's causing the creaking it's difficult to assign blame, but it sure as hell doesn't sound like it's entirely Apple's fault or even the majority their fault.

If there's an issue with your laptop, get in touch with Apple and get it resolved- you paid a hell of a lot of money for your machine and if the defect is their fault then hopefully they'll rectify it.

wct097

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2010
I started with a Powerbook back in the 90's, then went to PC's. I came back in 2011, then switched to a retina in 2012 due to a bad screen on my 2011.

Now I'm about to have my retina's logic board for the second time.

I'd switch back due to shoddy quality of the Apple machines, but i just can't find anything that comes close to the total package of size, performance, and battery life.

Next time around, I'm going to be certain to get the extended warranty. Apple really is a ripoff when you consider the price vs shoddy quality, but when they work, they're great machines.

I doubt I'd ever buy a desktop though.

technosix

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2015
West Coast USA
There's no such thing as the perfect computer. When I step back and look at the big picture as it pertains to the last two decades of my cross platform Mac/PC laptop use for truly demanding, resource intense engineering work, my choice is Apple. Hands down, no hesitation, MBP's have served me in an exemplary fashion.

windywalks

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2004
This is the most pointless thread I have ever seen.

You're complaining, that a laptop that should have been taken apart by qualified personnel creaks because you've taken it apart and haven't been able to put it back together properly i.e. follow the guide on how to replace screws in the right order and apply anaerobic glue to keep the screws tight at all times.

The title of your post suggests that you are trying to provoke a discussion on software and then you complain about creaking. Buy a 1.5k Windows machine, take it apart and see how it goes.
You are either a troll or someone who retired to early and has too much time on his hands and none to clean your home hence all the dust in your computer.

I suggest that you just sell it and buy a Gateway (or three) and stop complaining about what is clearly your ineptitude and lack of serious problems.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013

FML

You probably should have waited a couple of days before you posted your message, I think you may have reflected on it differently. As it is you come across as a little crazy.

I'm not sure how your laptop got so dusty you felt it had to be cleaned, my mid-2012 rMBP (which is the same build design as yours) has no problems with dust. You must be using it in a particularly dirty environment.

When you think about it, the fact it's now creaking after you took it apart is your fault. And is it really a big deal anyway? Just relax.

DiCaprioAngel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
New York
I've had Windows most of my life and I most definitely will not be returning to the POS ever again. I've always had problems with Windows computers. My rMBP has lasted longer than any Windows desktop/laptop I've had and based on that experience, I will not be spending a dime on any Windows computer anytime soon. I want a computer that does what it's supposed to without me having to worry about "blue screens" or "viruses" or it "breaking down" after normal use. You would think that I was a gamer or used my computer heavily, which I don't! I just browse the web, type up papers for school, watch movies, listen to music ... that's about as extensive as my usage gets, yet, a Windows computer hardly lasted me more than 2 years without breaking down at some point. I'm sorry Apple has let you down, but good luck with Windows. I know for sure I will be a Mac girl for as long as I possibly can.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
In answer to your question

No I would not.

I changed 4 years ago in 2010. My first macbook pro is still awesome, upgraded myself with SSD and more RAM it is now my brothers main computer and still as good as the day I bought it. After opening it a couple of times it did creak a bit but careful reseating of the base stopped that.

My current rMBP I have had for well over a year and it is brilliant not a single issue.

I would never go back unless I had no choice. I would rather buy a 3 year old mac than a brand new cheap old windows laptop by one of the big producers, HP Lenovo Samsung or Acer.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
I came from Windows, and honestly, I dont think I could ever go back. The small things that bother you about the Mac are nothing compared to my window problems! Constant BSOD and hardware failures when I had my own tower. It was a much higher upkeep changing the hardware that in the end, I spent way more money than a mac. So once the mobo died, I went to the mac, and I havent looked back since! :D

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
This is the most pointless thread I have ever seen.

You're complaining, that a laptop that should have been taken apart by qualified personnel creaks because you've taken it apart and haven't been able to put it back together properly i.e. follow the guide on how to replace screws in the right order and apply anaerobic glue to keep the screws tight at all times.

The title of your post suggests that you are trying to provoke a discussion on software and then you complain about creaking. Buy a 1.5k Windows machine, take it apart and see how it goes.
You are either a troll or someone who retired to early and has too much time on his hands and none to clean your home hence all the dust in your computer.

I suggest that you just sell it and buy a Gateway (or three) and stop complaining about what is clearly your ineptitude and lack of serious problems.

Taking the back cover off a MBP is not something that should only be left for qualified personnel. Anyone who can turn a screwdriver should be able to do it without any problems.

That said, if the OP still somehow managed to do it wrong, then I agree he has nothing to complain about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.