Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Hey, I just took my iMac apart with X installed. I took out the cache, and put it back in. My computer seemed to boot up FASTER after messing around with everything. Do you guys know how to Zap the PRAM in X?:confused:

voicegy

macrumors 65816
Have you tried to do it the same way one does it in OS 9?

Shutdown your computer. Startup and hold cmd-opt-p-r (all 4 keys) until you hear at least 3 chimes.

I understand that it works the same for both operating systems...but I'm not in front of a X box at the moment to check it.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Yup, the good old Command (Apple) + Option + P + R combo still works.

Zapping the PRAM takes place independantly of the OS, so it works equally for OS 9 and X.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
what it does...

it's resetting the parameter ram on the computer....

Contents of PRAM are as follows. Some Macintosh computers may not have all the settings described below:

Status of AppleTalk, Serial Port Configuration and Port definition, Alarm clock setting, Application font, Serial printer location, Autokey rate, Autokey dela, Speaker volume, Attention (beep) sound, Double-click time, Caret blink time (insertion point rate), Mouse scaling (mouse speed), Startup disk, Menu blink count, Monitor Depth, 32 Bit addressing, Virtual Memory, Ram Disk, Disk Cache

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
speaking of resetting pram, im wondering what all of you X users out there are doing for maintenance on your machines. im in os9 23 hours a day so i havent bothered to look into maitenance for my x partition. but i have noticed that it seems to get slower ever day. only utility i can find of x is mac janitor. i run those scripts occaisonally but it really doesnt feel like im doing anything. i often use my 10 partition as for file storage when my 9 partition fills up. when ever thing is full i burn. my 9 partition gets pretty fragged during the process so i optimize often, but im not aware of any way to do this in x besides buying drive10 and im not about to shell out money to do maintenace on osx when it barely runs on my little g3.

moby1

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2002
Sunny San Diego
Try Norton Utilities 6

I use Norton Utilities 6 from OS 9 to optimize all my partitions inc. the OS X part. I've had no problems so far.

After running Norton I always delete/rebuild the desktop file with TechTool Lite.

M1

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
Re: Try Norton Utilities 6

Originally posted by moby1
I use Norton Utilities 6 from OS 9 to optimize all my partitions inc. the OS X part. I've had no problems so far.

After running Norton I always delete/rebuild the desktop file with TechTool Lite.

M1

thats really interesting, i didnt know we could use norton to optimize a osx partition. if i recall norton said that x was "severe" immediatly after i installed osx on a clean partition, made me think things were just different. also i had heard of people using norton to optimize x before and then being unable to use x. im kinda hesitant to do this unless some more of you can make me feel a little better about using norton.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.