Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
Oh man. This is how you should NOT carry your phone.

Obviously, it hit the floor when she got up. Looks like a 5 or 5S model.

Attachments

• Bad Move 1.jpg
    Bad Move 1.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 458
  • Bad Move 2.jpg
    Bad Move 2.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 446

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
My wife often carries her iPhone 6 in her back pocket and I warn her about it all the time. She won't listen so it will take a crunch for the lesson to be learned. I think the issue is a lot of female jeans and some men's jeans don't have deep front pockets. I can only just fit my iPhone in the front pocket of 2 pairs of mine (skinny/slim fit jeans). This tempts people into using the rear pockets. Phone's have just got too big in many cases and the garment industry hasn't quite adapted yet. Women don't tend to wear baggy trousers or jeans and there is only so much a designer can do with this in mind. :)

Ke1ington

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2009
My girlfriend carries her 6 in her back pocket as well. We work in a maximum security mental institution so if she happens to walk onto a secure unit with it sticking out of her back pocket it wouldn't even take an unnoticed swipe. If a patient were to get a hold of it and there was effort involved in getting it back she would likely lose her job.

I've warned her several times and it hasn't stuck so I've taken to trying to swipe it out of her pocket without her noticing. She usually catches me but one of these times I'll be successful and the ensuing freak-out will hopefully be enough to change her ways.

eldo33

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2010
i usually carry the IP6 in my back pocket all the time...this is why we buy cases to protect the phone doesn't it? if not whats the purpose then?

i dropped my IP6 like 5-6 times to the ground already but i'm not worry cuz i have bumper case and glass front cover.

if u have no case then it's a whole diff issue.

she has a case too so no biggie

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Am I the only one who has put a phone in his back pocket since 2001 and NEVER once sat down with it in my back pocket????? <cringe>

Ke1ington

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2009
i usually carry the IP6 in my back pocket all the time...this is why we buy cases to protect the phone doesn't it? if not whats the purpose then?

i dropped my IP6 like 5-6 times to the ground already but i'm not worry cuz i have bumper case and glass front cover.

I wouldn't get too comfortable with your setup. The one time I shattered an iPhone screen (iPhone 6; I've had all models excluding the 4s) it was in a Speck Candyshell Grip case and had an Invisible Shield glass screen protector. I've carried all models naked and dropped every single one.

It's all about how it lands. Sure, having a case probably helps but it surely doesn't make it indestructible.

Russiaone

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
Boggles the mind (mine, at least) how some pay upwards of a grand for a phone and treat it like a Snicker's bar.

And the phone doesn't melt and become as yummy as the candy bar.

kupkakez

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Austin, TX
I guess I don't see the big deal. I do carry my phone in my back pocket on occasion and have sat on it more times than I care to admit.

It's a phone... if it breaks due to my negligence it's on me and I'll replace it and then maybe I'd learn a lesson. I've carried a cell phone for a good 12 years and have never broken one or cracked a screen. /knock on wood

To each his or her own though.

Woochifer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
Ugh. I don't get why anyone would carry a smartphone in their back pocket. Aside from the obvious issues with pickpocketers (since they stick out more than a wallet), yes sitting on it can and will damage the phone. These issues predated the iPhone and "bendgate."

John Legere (T-Mobile CEO) had the perfect response for "bendgate."

This thing is an amazing supercomputer in your hand. What the ******* are you putting it in your pants and sitting on it for?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yYsNdZhHxU

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom

The only iPhone screen I've managed to crack is my 3GS, and ironically that was the phone that had the largest case than any other iPhone I've owned and a screen protector.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Unfortunately, most Women's jeans/slacks either have very small front pockets or no pockets at all so it is common for us to carry phones in our back pockets.

If we tried putting a 6+ or similar phone in what little front pockets we had, it would stick out more than half and look weird.

MattXDA

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2014
UK
It's much easier for phones to get stolen from back pockets too, not recommended!

Last edited:

CPx

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2013
You know, this is where Apple Watch can help, especially for the ladies. Leave the phone in your jacket or purse, and let the watch tell you when you need to look at your phone. Women's clothes don't have a lot of usable pockets.

/Just sayin.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Boggles the mind (mine, at least) how some pay upwards of a grand for a phone and treat it like a Snicker's bar.

And the phone doesn't melt and become as yummy as the candy bar.

Happens to a lot of people. To people here on a tech forum some of us might cringe at seeing someone mistreat their Apple products. That person may not be a techie and actually use the phone as a tool rather than a delicate jewel.

Same with cookware. There are people that buy very expensive cookware and burn up the pots, mistreat them and don't take good care of them. I cringe at that because I grew up in a commercial kitchen and have very good cookware.

Last edited by a moderator:

5enohpi

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2012
Philly/Vegas
Actually I respect the fact that she kept her phone in her pocket and chose to socialize with her friend. Don't see much of that happening anymore

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
Did you warn her ?

No. I thought it was funny. I was actually looking forward to the phone falling. That may sound harsh, but it's the truth. She cares more about tight pants than treating her expensive phone with respect - but that's her business.

----------

My wife often carries her iPhone 6 in her back pocket and I warn her about it all the time. She won't listen so it will take a crunch for the lesson to be learned.

Agreed. Hence the reason for my post.

----------

Last edited:

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
Actually I respect the fact that she kept her phone in her pocket and chose to socialize with her friend. Don't see much of that happening anymore

While I agree, remember that I have only posted a very small slice of what she did while she was there. She may have had the phone there for easy access, and been on it for much of time she was there... I was there for only a few minutes before she left.

She could have interacted with the person she was with, but still kept the phone relatively safe by putting it into a pocket that it actually fit into, her pocketbook or even on the table.

Last edited by a moderator:

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
No. I thought it was funny. I was actually looking forward to the phone falling. That may sound harsh, but it's the truth. She cares more about tight pants than treating her expensive phone with respect - but that's her business.

You are honest , and I kinda see where you are coming from.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado

----------

Agreed. Hence the reason for my post.

----------

It has nothing to do with tight pants but everything to do with the phone not being able to fit in a front pocket because it would stick out half way in a front pocket.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.