Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Noctilux.95

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
LA
Hey guys,

Is paying a higher premium for OWC over Crucial worth it? OWC sells their 16gb ram on sale for $160 vs $115 for Crucial.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Hey guys,

Is paying a higher premium for OWC over Crucial worth it? OWC sells their 16gb ram on sale for $160 vs $115 for Crucial.

Absolutley not. If the memory meets the specs and is from a vendor who will be around if you have a warranty issue, just get whatever is cheapest.

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
Hey guys,

Not really unless customer service is critical to you. IMHO OWC's customer service is the best around, however for a RAM upgrade the bottom line is it works or it doesn't.

shaunp

Cancelled
Nov 5, 2010
I've always used Crucial in several laptops and a nMP. Never had an issue with any of it. I wouldn't buy anything else as they have always been reliable and the price has always been good.

kant

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2004
UPS just dropped off my 5k purchased from BH.

I came very close to buying the crucial 2x8 for $114 but there was one review that said that his Apple ram didn't play well with the Crucial. It worked fine with one or the other but not together.

So I'm going to fly for a couple of weeks with just the Apple ram (16gb) and if I see any lag*, I'll buy 32gb of the Crucial and do something with the OEM sticks.

*if I see any lag, first I'll tear up a bit, then I'll buy the Crucial. :)

aesc80

Cancelled
Mar 24, 2015

I came very close to buying the crucial 2x8 for $114 but there was one review that said that his Apple ram didn't play well with the Crucial. It worked fine with one or the other but not together.

So I'm going to fly for a couple of weeks with just the Apple ram (16gb) and if I see any lag*, I'll buy 32gb of the Crucial and do something with the OEM sticks.

*if I see any lag, first I'll tear up a bit, then I'll buy the Crucial. :)

I read a couple of those posts too. Though one found that the CT2C8G3S160BM Crucial did well at 32GB, while another found that having the old Apple ram with the same Crucial worked reliably as well. Sounds like the late 2013 27" is finicky with memory. That being said, I still ordered 32 GB today - hoping the forum recommendation is right.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
I was getting crashes and the wake from sleep crashes etc with Crucial. I switched to OWC about 3 weeks ago and its been fine. A few others have had to do this too.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan

I have 16 gb of Crucial playing happily with 8 gb of Apple.

I haven't noticed any problems.

And I have 16GB of the Crucial coexisting happily with 16GB of Apple Elpida and no problems at all. I've been using it for over a year now.

fuchsdh

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2014
Not really unless customer service is critical to you. IMHO OWC's customer service is the best around, however for a RAM upgrade the bottom line is it works or it doesn't.

This is my thought as well. RAM from Crucial or OWC are pretty rock-solid, so I don't see the point in paying the premium to OWC for something as basic as RAM. One the occasion one of the old '06 Mac Pro sticks went bad OWC was damn fast with replacements, but I can't think of any RAM I've had go bad from either of them aside from that across all my and my company's Macs.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
This is my thought as well. RAM from Crucial or OWC are pretty rock-solid, so I don't see the point in paying the premium to OWC for something as basic as RAM.

Crucial RAM has a lifetime warranty and their support is actually quite good in my experience. They also actively monitor and participate in their own user support forums.

As rare as it is, bad RAM is usually immediately identifiable. If purchased through Amazon you need never deal with Crucial at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.