Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Big Stevie

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 20, 2012
UK
Im in the process of using Handbrake to convert lots of video files from .mov to .mp4 so I can put them on an external hard drive and view them on my PS3, But I'm finding it a slow and laborious task...

Is there any way of selecting multiple files to add to the queue? Im finding that I'm having to manually select an individual file, add it to the queue, then select the next etc etc... Im also having to delete the files in the queue individually before starting a new queue, is there a way of highlighting all the files and deleting them all in one go?

This is taking time, is there a quicker way please?

Last edited:

andyp350

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2011
I used to use a program called HandBrakeBatch which would allow you to queue jobs and select one of your handbrake presets to encode them with. Apparently Handbrake now supports batch processing natively, I haven't used it in a while so can't instruct you on how to do this but i'm sure others on here can and there must be tutorials online.

Big Stevie

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 20, 2012
UK
I used to use a program called HandBrakeBatch which would allow you to queue jobs and select one of your handbrake presets to encode them with. Apparently Handbrake now supports batch processing natively, I haven't used it in a while so can't instruct you on how to do this but i'm sure others on here can and there must be tutorials online.

Thanks, I've just had a look on their website and they say their software is now pretty much redundant as Handbrake now allow batch conversion on a mac...

When you open HandBrake and it asks for a source, select the folder containing your movies

From the File menu, select Add All Titles To Queue

HandBrake will add all the movies in the selected folder to the queue.

Just need to find out if theres a way of batch deleting from the queue.

lederermc

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
Seattle
Im in the process of using Handbrake to convert lots of video files from .mov to .mp4 so I can put them on an external hard drive and view them on my PS3, But I'm finding it a slow and laborious task...

This is taking time, is there a quicker way please?

Steve: Handbrake always transcodes the video. If the movie is already using the correct codec then this is a big waste of time. The easiest way to batch convert is to use an app called smartconvert from the Apple app store. It will only transcode if the out file format requires it. The non-batch version is free I believe. For a small fee you can batch lots of files. Handbrake is a great program but does not have the ability to just "copy" the video stream.

Big Stevie

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 20, 2012
UK
Steve: Handbrake always transcodes the video. If the movie is already using the correct codec then this is a big waste of time. The easiest way to batch convert is to use an app called smartconvert from the Apple app store. It will only transcode if the out file format requires it. The non-batch version is free I believe. For a small fee you can batch lots of files. Handbrake is a great program but does not have the ability to just "copy" the video stream.

Thanks for that, Ill take a look:) If that speeds up the process then this would be good.

In the meantime I've figured out how to batch upload to Handbrakes queue, simply select the folder that contains the files you want to convert, then > File > Add all items to queue

To make this easier, this may require you to first create a new folder and add the files you want to convert, then open Handbrake and perform the above.

It seems I dont need to empty the queue after conversion, I can leave it as it is and just add more to the queue and carry on converting without the previous files being converted again.
----------

[/COLOR]
Batch converting video files on a Mac using Handbrake

This capability only appeared a few versions back, maybe 2012?, so be sure you've updated your copy of Handbrake.

Just seen your post, thanks :)

Last edited:

andyp350

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2011
Smart Converter 2 and iFlicks 2 are both great tools for if the video doesn't actually need to be transcoded.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.