Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jope76

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2005
Got my new iMac today, and boy was I excited. Byt now that I unpacked it and turned it on I'm not so thrilled anymore...

1: I installed more memory before turning it on, and when unscrewing the screws I noticed that one of the screws didn't "fit" the hole, it was to small and was just spinning round in the hole, and I could see that it had been unscrewed before. Well, installed it anyway since the other screw fitted nicely and the hatch was securely locked.

2: Turned it on. The noise! The whole computer is vibrating, making a terrible "hhhuuummmmmm". I can feel my desk vibrating. it's the hard drive, because when it spins down everything is quiet. If this is the noise an iMac make I can't live with one....

3: The plastic on the front has small scratches and "smudges" on it, not silky smooth like I expected from a new iMac. Is this normal??

So, what do you guys think of all these problems? Should I send it back? I'm really not liking my new iMac right now, and the vibration noise is driving me mad! damn :(

jope76

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2005
Does Apple handle these things, or should I contact the store where I bought it? Something tells me Apple would handle this thing faster than the store...
Thanks guys!

mmmcheese

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2006
jope76 said:
Does Apple handle these things, or should I contact the store where I bought it? Something tells me Apple would handle this thing faster than the store...
Thanks guys!

Talk to both the store and Apple...see what the policies are

chaos86

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2003
OP didn't mention if it was bought from Apple directly. I hope he didn't buy from some dodgey company that sells refurbs as new. I've seen that happen on the wintel side, but not in our world.

jope76

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2005
I will contact the store on monday. The strange thing is that all the packaging looked new, even the iMac was in a sealed white soft cover. Must be a bad new one I guess. I really hope the store will take it back...

XIII

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2004
England
jope76 said:
I will contact the store on monday. The strange thing is that all the packaging looked new, even the iMac was in a sealed white soft cover. Must be a bad new one I guess. I really hope the store will take it back...

They'll take it back, no worries. Its just a bad one - they happen.

jope76

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2005
Got a reply from the store telling me to take this through Apple since the iMac was new and untouched when they sent it to me.
So I will have to create a case through Apple and wait for them to pickup the iMac, have a look at it, decide what to do, and so on..... Sigh.

cyberddot

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2003
in a forest
Just curious. What helped you to decide to go to a store that sells Apple products, but isn't an "Apple Store" to buy your iMac, rather than buying it from Apple directly?

jope76

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2005
cyberddot said:
Just curious. What helped you to decide to go to a store that sells Apple products, but isn't an "Apple Store" to buy your iMac, rather than buying it from Apple directly?

There are no real Apple Stores here in sweden, just reatil stores/apple dealers (or what you might call them). This is one the big ones.

This iMac was bought for me through the company I work for, and they only wanted to buy through that retailer. I've only had good experiences with the online Apple store, so if I hadn't bought this one through my company I would have used the online Apple store...

cyberddot

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2003
in a forest
Ahh...well you might get a raise if you showed your company the error of their ways and lead them to making Apple purchases through Apple :D.

I've been lucky too...3 macs and multiple software and iPod purchases, and no problems yet buying from Apple online.

jope76

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2005
The company that handles repairs for Apple in sweden declared my iMac DOA today, so I will receive a new one next week.
Keeping my fingers crossed that the new one will be good... :)

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
jope76 said:
The company that handles repairs for Apple in sweden declared my iMac DOA today, so I will receive a new one next week.
Keeping my fingers crossed that the new one will be good... :)
Good for you, sounded almost like you got a refurb or something. A new machine should be in perfect shape and the consumer shouldnt except anything less.

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
cyberddot said:

I bought my powerbook from John Lewis, their an authorised apple reseller and gave me an extra years warrenty for free.

my experience with the apple store is mixed, when tiger came out, they sent me it for about £11, all was good, but recently i bought a dock for my ipod with colour screen, and the line in on it was bust...naughty apple

Agathon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
OnceUGoMac said:
Step One: Get offline.

Step Two: Call the store.

Step Three: Profit!

Haha Applen00b!!!111

You forgot:

[goldblum]THERE IS NO STEP THREE!!!

There's no step three....[/goldblum]

Shame on you...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.