Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
There is a Kickstarter campaign on now to revive Descent...I was so excited, I broke out my old stuff and started playing D1X Rebirth, and then pledged:

Descent Underground Kickstarted page

There will be a Mac version, it isn't just a stretch goal. There is a ton of info on their Kickstarter page, and their own own homepage

Also, this isn't just a multiplayer game...they have a very in-depth single player game planned, but that will take time to develop, and they plan on bringing the multiplayer game up first, to get people excited and have something to play.

This is great news...I've been taking a break from funding Kickstarter games, but when something like this comes along, I feel almost obligated to support it, esp. since the dev's have a great track record in making games professionally. Also, as they point out on one of their posts, the original Descent came out just around when the first Sony Playstation came out and console games started taking off...in any event, there was some awesome gameplay with the Descent series that kind of got overlooked/forgotten with all the FPS and console game movements, and it would be great to get this game revived and extended.

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
...bump...

I have to say, I have had a great time digging up my Descent game stuff and playing D1X Rebirth. I hope these guys can recapture that old style fun, but bring it forward to the modern era. It looks great so far!

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
GREAT!

Thanks for the heads up - will look into it this weekend...

I love Descent - still have all my PC/Mac copies Complete In Box, also bought the Steam package - but they don't seem to run well on modern PC's so play the console version now and then.

Hopefully, popularity will take off - imagine this on a PS4 or XBox One... :eek:

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Contributed! Still quite a way short of the target with 36 hours to go (never contributed to Kickstarter before, so I'm not sure if there's normally a late flurry..)

It's criminally under-funded compared to other sci-fi Kickstarter games like Elite Dangerous and Star Citizen.

NeonKingKong

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2008
Portland, OR
hell yea

----------

before i join, how the hell did they get around interpol's, i mean interplay's copywrite police? They've shut down anybody else who tried to do something like this?

----------

before i join, how the hell did they get around interpol's, i mean interplay's copywrite police? They've shut down anybody else who tried to do something like this?

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
They didn't "get around" anything; Interplay specifically asked them to do it.

--Eric

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
12 hours to go, still a bit short. If they don't make the goal, do they normally try again later with a different goal, or try different funding means? (Or drop the project)

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
hell yea

As mentioned above, Interplay heard they were going to do an "update" of Descent that would get around copyright issues (they had a working title of "Ships That Figiht Underground," or ****, ha ha)...Interplay heard about that, and licensed the *name* Descent to them.

There are (apparently) a lot of other rights holders who aren't on board...this has killed a lot of previous attempts to revive it. To get around the remaining issues, they are designing Descent: Underground as a pre-quel, and won't be using any of the old ship models, but will have "progenitors" of the later ships...like the new game's Torch will be the origin of the later Pyro, etc.

Last edited:

jabbott

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2009
Just supported the Kickstarter, and I've let a couple other friends know about it. Thanks for the info!

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
Just supported the Kickstarter, and I've let a couple other friends know about it. Thanks for the info!

No prob!

I'm watching their YouTube video about the single-player game...everybody has been focusing on the multiplayer, and whether it will be more like Descent 1/2, or Descent 3...the group is using the mulitiplayer excitement to fund the ongoing development of the Single-Player game, which they detail here:

YouTube Descent Underground Design Update

It's about 20 min.

Renzatic

Suspended
Man, I hate these close call kickstarters. 7 hour to go, and it still has $40,000 to earn before crossing the finish line. I hope they make it.

Though considering how popular Descent was back in its heyday, I'm surprised to see this struggling to pass its initial goal. I figured this one would've ended up floating around the million dollar mark by its final hours.

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
Man, I hate these close call kickstarters. 7 hour to go, and it still has $40,000 to earn before crossing the finish line. I hope they make it.

Though considering how popular Descent was back in its heyday, I'm surprised to see this struggling to pass its initial goal. I figured this one would've ended up floating around the million dollar mark by its final hours.

I was surprised they have been struggling, too. My theories:
a) many gamers today are too young to remember the Descent heyday, the mid-90's (that's 20 years ago!), so they don't know what they are missing
b) Kickstarter overload?

??

Renzatic

Suspended
I was surprised they have been struggling, too. My theories:
a) many gamers today are too young to remember the Descent heyday, the mid-90's (that's 20 years ago!), so they don't know what they are missing
b) Kickstarter overload?

??

I think it might be B. All the games that were hugely popular during the initial Kickstarter rush were things that hearkened back to the glory days of the '80's and '90's (Wasteland 2, Broken Age, Pillars of Eternity, etc.). If I were to take a guess, a lot of people already have a lot of money invested in a ton of games that have yet to come out, and are probably too burnt out to invest in more.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
It allows you to play your old Descent game...you just need the mission files and other stuff from the CD, but it has an updated executable...see this link here

WoW! That is fantastic! I didn't know about that one. I got all three Descent games from GOG and played the first two back in the day when they were released. I hadn't gotten around to playing my GOG versions yet. This will be great.

Thanks again!

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
WoW! That is fantastic! I didn't know about that one. I got all three Descent games from GOG and played the first two back in the day when they were released. I hadn't gotten around to playing my GOG versions yet. This will be great.

Thanks again!

Yeah, the games were great, but if you play the GOG versions you get them in all their 640x480 "glory." Having D1X (and the others) Rebirth lets you enjoy them in 1920x1080 (or better!) resolution.

Glad to help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.