Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As of April 10, Apple will begin scheduling appointments in its retail stores for customers who are interested in trying on the Apple Watch before deciding to pre-order or make a purchase. We've known that most try-on appointments will be scheduled in 15-minute intervals to allow Apple employees to get to as many customers as possible, but it seems that customers who are interested in purchasing the Gold Apple Watch Edition will get some extra time with the device.

According to the International Business Times, two Apple Stores in Manhattan have confirmed that customers looking to spend upwards of $10,000 on an Apple Watch Edition will get 30 minute appointments with Apple employees instead of 15 minute appointments.

applewatchedition-800x440.jpg
Given the high price of the Apple Watch Edition, it's no surprise that employees plan to dedicate more time to those who plan to spend a lot of money, as it's a bigger purchasing decision. In fact, the purchasing experience for a Gold Apple Watch may be quite a bit different from the experience purchasing a standard Apple Watch or an Apple Watch Sport, as Apple is said to have a dedicated group of employees that have undergone special training serving customers who are buying the Apple Watch Edition.

Apple employees, including those who will work with customers interested in the Gold Apple Watch, are being trained to offer fashion and styling advice to customers. 9to5Mac shared some details on this training yesterday, suggesting employees will use each customer's fashion sense to make Apple Watch recommendations. Apple employees are being given example customers to train with, to help them develop the skills to make suggestions to customers.

applewatchsalesstuff-800x445.jpg
Apple retail stores will be transformed overnight ahead of April 10, adding Apple Watch try-on stations that consist of glass-covered display tables that have the Apple Watch underneath. The Apple Watch Edition will only be available at select Apple Stores, and in limited quantities. Stores where the high-end watch will be sold are being outfitted with safes, where the devices will be kept at night to protect them from theft.

Apple wants the Apple Watch Edition buying experience to mirror other luxury shopping experiences, and in addition to selling the device in Apple retail locations through specially trained employees, Apple is also assembling pop up shops around the world in locations like the Wonder Room in Selfridges, a special section of the store that houses other high-end jewelry and watches. Other pop up shop locations include the Galeries Lafayette in Paris, and the Isetan Department Store in Tokyo.

Apple Watch pre-orders and try-on appointments begin on April 10, with the official launch coming later in the month, on April 24.

Article Link: Gold Apple Watch Buyers to Get Special Purchasing Experience With 30 Minute Appointments

markgpearse

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2010
Is it April Fools Day?

We give you 30 minutes and then you have to tell us if you are going to give us $17,000!

I think Tiffany would give you more than 30 minutes.

Xultar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2010
Everything I want to type as a response to this nonsense is against Macrumors policy.

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
Gonna charge it to my Amex for the special experience. Then use that nice return policy. ;)))

Bahamut Eos

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2008
Los Angeles
If a server was always checking their phone while serving me, I would not be pleased. So same should hold true if he was checking his watch for phone updates....

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
I'm interested to hear the tactful version of the response "You're a restaurant server, so either you shouldn't be buying an Apple Watch, or you should only get the Sport version with the Sport band" from an Apple employee...

Wow. Just because someone is a server at a restaurant doesn't mean he or she is broke.

SteveJobs2.0

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Apple wants its store employees to give out fashion advice? Sounds like a really bad idea.

You can thank Angela for that. Apple store employees are generally not competent enough to sell electronics and electronics accessories let alone give advice on fashion trends. That's what happens when you hire someone to run your stores based on star power rather than legitimate ability to make the purchasing experience at Apple stores a better experience.

i5pro

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
NNJ
um..no. It's bad enough to get an appointment for the genius bar. Please let me sign up for personalized kool-aid drinking experience to buy a device for solution to a problem that doesn't exist. If I'm going to buy it, I already drank the kool-aid and the experience will be to validate my desire for the watch.

PowerBook-G5

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2013
Apple wants its store employees to give out fashion advice? Sounds like a really bad idea.

I can't wait to go to the Apple Store on the 13th and see what kind of fashion advice they give me. I wonder what they would say to me, a student, as I usually wear a plain hoodie, bluejeans, and grey sneakers.

I want to buy a Sport 42MM, silver, with a Milanese Loop. Can't wait to her what they suggest...

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
This is where the system may breakdown to a degree. Apple Stores are busy and very loud. If I wanted to spend that kind of money, I'd want to be in a private space that is more calm.

I understand that dedicating 50-100 sqft of retail space to a small, quiet room for these appointments may not look great on the balance sheet, but it feels like it is necessary to deliver the type of experience customers might be looking for when they're about to drop $10-$20k on a watch.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
Wow. Just because someone is a server at a restaurant doesn't mean he or she is broke.

Interesting point actually. One could argue for different sides.

1. Somebody on a low wage "wasting money" on trivial consumer products. Escapism, opiate of the masses, capitalism gone mad etc. "Keep you doped with religion, sex and TV. You think you're so clever and classless and free..." - John Lennon

2. Who is anyone to judge another for how they choose to spend the money the earned? If they have excess earnings then why not spend it on something they like, as long as they can afford it. I know I buy loads of tech gear, despite earning practically nothing as a student.

But that said, it's the "as long as they can afford it" part that is the key issue. Disregard for that idea led us to the economic crash around 2007-2008...

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
$700 is a lot for a watch, yes, but it's not unobtainable for a waiter... that's like saying that a waiter can't afford a computer.

It's certainly a questionable choice, but I think it's a luxury that pretty much anyone with a job could afford.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.