Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

e93to

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 23, 2015
Toronto
With all the newer features being introduced to other Apple devices, I was wondering whether there is room for cool new features that can be added to iMacs to enhance the user experience. I actually like the fact that each iMac update doesn't bring crazy new features because it doesn't make my current iMac feel obsolete just yet :p, and it adds timeless aspect to iMacs. But I wouldn't mind seeing iMac becoming the technological trailblazer of all-in-one desktop segment.

First, I would love to have an iMac with battery. It would allow me to carry it around my room/house even though the iMac lasts a short period of time on battery (hopefully it lasts at least an hour).

Second, Minority Report style virtual gestures would be awesome. I'm sure such feature would be implemented in the near future, but I hope it starts with iMac lineup.

Well, that's all I can think for now. What other features would you wish to have on your new iMac?

aesc80

Cancelled
Mar 24, 2015
I'm including 2 practical features that would automatically be rejected thanks to the reasoning of "money, money, money".

1 - Accessible hard drive bay
This is me wishing I had a way to keep my iMac cost low, while still having my 32 GB memory and SSD cake too. There are a number of AiO machines that offer accessible HHD bays (one for certain is HP's Envy Recline series, where a single plate is all it takes to access the memory and HDD bay). While PCIe, at least what I imagine, would be slightly harder to work with, at least a SATA III accessible bay would have been awesome.

2 - Target Display Mode + same peripherals
Maybe I'm doing it all wrong, but I haven't been able to work on my iMac's keyboard and Trackpad with my MBP through TDM. Having to switch one set of equipment for another just to interact is a pain!

imanidiot

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2011
Denver, CO
First, I would love to have an iMac with battery. It would allow me to carry it around my room/house even though the iMac lasts a short period of time on battery (hopefully it lasts at least an hour).

I'm trying to understand this. Why would you want to carry an iMac around with you? It's a desktop machine. Where would you go carrying your battery-equipped iMac, trailing it's power cord? To the nearest Starbucks? For a jog perhaps?

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
A removable back panel would be nice.

Sorry, it just isn't practical on a desktop machine with power-hungry components. Plus, have you ever tried to carry a 27" iMac with keyboard and mouse for an extended period of time?

I'm happy with my 13" rMBP being my only battery powered machine. However, you can always invest in a battery backup (just don't expect it to last an hour).

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
Accesable hard drive /ssd bay ,non proprietary ssd support , user upgradeable memory in all models , and most importantly , get rid of that damn glossy display .

e93to

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 23, 2015
Toronto
I'm trying to understand this. Why would you want to carry an iMac around with you? It's a desktop machine. Where would you go carrying your battery-equipped iMac, trailing it's power cord? To the nearest Starbucks? For a jog perhaps?

I'll definitely carry this thing to Starbucks, and show these MacBook Air users what a real computer is!

Sometimes I wish I could move my iMac closer to edge of the desk so I can watch something while sitting on my couch. Or make my iMac face the bed. Or maybe I can work in a different room. Like I specifically mentioned, I just want to carry it "around my room/house."

One of my friends used to have a battery-equipped all-in-one desktop (I forget which brand..). He used to carry it around here and there around his house.

CChevW

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2014
I'll definitely carry this thing to Starbucks, and show these MacBook Air users what a real computer is!

Sometimes I wish I could move my iMac closer to edge of the desk so I can watch something while sitting on my couch. Or make my iMac face the bed. Or maybe I can work in a different room. Like I specifically mentioned, I just want to carry it "around my room/house."

One of my friends used to have a battery-equipped all-in-one desktop (I forget which brand..). He used to carry it around here and there around his house.

Can't you move the current iMacs to another room and just plug it in to a different socket?

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
For most of us, the iMac sits in one place to be used. Given this, I'll have to agree it would be nice if -

1) easy access hot swap of drives via a slot bay on the back as an addition or a similar method to add a drive.

2) While elegant in simplicity, it would be nice to be able to rotate the screen.

3) Change the footing so it includes a Thunderbolt based set of ports such as USB3/3.1, Firewire 800, any video that is relevant etc.

4) Ability to add RAM

These are just a few items I would like to see. While the iMac has started to look more like an iPad on steroids, it is a shame when form is so far ahead of function.

MindsEye

macrumors regular
May 3, 2010
Echo easy access to HDD/SSD. Also two front USB ports would be an unexpected welcome.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
True multi-display support over DisplayPort, with an extended desktop. And better support in the Displays Preference Pane.

I want to use my two Dell 4k displays with my shiny new riMac after it's refreshed.

xlys

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2015
Thinner bazzels / ability to use 2 sata ssd or two pcie ssd / space grey colour option (optional ) / hight , swivel adjustments

xlys

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2015
What features would you like to see added to future iMac?

SATA SSD? Why would you want to go backwards? Also, I would have picked 4-lane PCIe which is definitely coming on future models.

Then drop the sata SSD ... Just remain dual pcie SSD for easy access ... That would be sweet ...

The same running in 2013 mac pro ????

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Then drop the sata SSD ... Just remain dual pcie SSD for easy access ... That would be sweet ...

I doubt the PCIe bus in future iMacs would have enough bandwidth for 2x 4-lane PCIe SSDs. 2x 2-lane maybe, but that would be pointless when a 4-lane can be used. Also, I don't see how this would make for "easy access".

The same running in 2013 mac pro ????

4-lane PCIe SSDs are already present on the early 2015 13" rMBP and 13" MBA. There's no doubt it will appear on future iMac models.

joe-h2o

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012
Purely a wishlist (I know some of these are going to be niche!)

* Accessible door on the back that would allow you to swap out SSDs (either an Apple PCIe blade type and/or a SATA port with a 2.5" bay)

* Optical in (toslink) separate from the optical out (the older iMacs had this and I miss it now and again)

* Detachable Magsafe cord to charge my work MBP from the iMac's PSU (i.e., magnetic on both ends - the iMac would have a 'power out' mag port)

* Height adjust.

* Breakout box with TB/USB etc ports on it (pretty much a thunderbolt dock).

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
height , swivel adjustments

* Height adjust.
I ordered a Herman Miller Flo Plus just for this. I bought one with a laptop attachment for my current rMBP, and will put my riMac on it when it's refreshed. Get the VESA option, just like the one I'm planning to buy. I've read that Ergotron makes a non-VESA option, seen it on YouTube, but don't have a link to it.

http://www.hermanmiller.com/products/accessories/technology-support/flo-monitor-supports.html

----------

After today's announcement by Intel/Micron about their new SSD tech, I'll add a massive 3TB SSD to my list of wants.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/03/intel-and-microns-3d-nand-promises-ssds-greater-than-10tb/

https://www.macrumors.com/2015/03/27/intel-micron-3d-nand-ssds/

cycledance

Suspended
Oct 15, 2010
- desktop class gpus
- 4k display for the 22" imac
- user replaceable storage/ram
- plenty usb 3.1 ports
- thinner, lighter, no bezels
- it should float and stay in front of my eyes

xlys

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2015
I ordered a Herman Miller Flo Plus just for this. I bought one with a laptop attachment for my current rMBP, and will put my riMac on it when it's refreshed. Get the VESA option, just like the one I'm planning to buy. I've read that Ergotron makes a non-VESA option, seen it on YouTube, but don't have a link to it.

http://www.hermanmiller.com/products/accessories/technology-support/flo-monitor-supports.html

----------

After today's announcement by Intel/Micron about their new SSD tech, I'll add a massive 3TB SSD to my list of wants.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/03/intel-and-microns-3d-nand-promises-ssds-greater-than-10tb/

https://www.macrumors.com/2015/03/27/intel-micron-3d-nand-ssds/

not everyone has 200$ to spent on just for the mount .. i paid 10$ for the vesa mount and mounted my u2711 on it and does the job pretty damn well :)

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
not everyone has 200$ to spent on just for the mount .. i paid 10$ for the vesa mount and mounted my u2711 on it and does the job pretty damn well :)
Nice - and cheap. But my arm was free - I wrote it off, and I also know that it will actually hold up the iMac unlike 90% of the monitor stands on the market. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.