Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After talking with Tim Cook onstage at the March 9 "Spring Forward" media event, model Christy Turlington Burns has kept a weekly blog on Apple's official website with updates on her preparations for the London Marathon next month.

In this week's post, Burns mentions in passing that the Watch will not only learn a user's stride after a few exercises when paired with an iPhone, after a while the Watch will be able to act independently in tracking fitness-related stats without needing to be tethered to an iPhone at all (via MacObserver).

Screenshot-207-800x489.png
Burns shows off the ease of exchanging Apple Watch bands in this week's blog post

The post, titled "The Art of Vacation Training", finds Burns on a bit of a break from her usual training regimen while on vacation with her family in the Caribbean. Still finding time to put in a 14-mile run in one day, Burns discusses how her personal Apple Watch has since learned her stride and speed, the Watch becoming less reliant on the iPhone in the fitness-tracking departments the more she uses it.
I switched up my runs between the treadmill at the hotel gym and outside. After you run with Apple Watch and your iPhone a few times, the Workout app knows more about your stride. So you can run on a treadmill or outside without your phone and still get a really accurate workout summary.
Apple's presentation of the device, ever since its reveal last September, has been of a Watch in nearly constant need of contact with an iPhone. Although Burns' blog post only appears to confirm the Watch's fitness-focused apps can sufficiently work sans iPhone, it's still an interesting piece of information, especially for users planning to use the wearable as a sole workout device.

Check out the rest of Burns' blog post, and her earlier entries, on Apple's official website.

Article Link: Apple Watch Learns Runners' Strides Over Time, Becoming More Independent From iPhone

finnns2000

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2006
Pineapple under the sea
According to the experts who have never worn the thing, you constantly need the iPhone around it so this can't be true!

experts who have never worn the thing

have never worn the thing

experts

never

JuryDuty

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2014
Texas
That's EXCELLENT for the tracking side...but I'm still tethered if I want to listen to music, track my run by GPS, etc.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
So after a few runs with my iPhone and Apple Watch I can start to leave the iPhone at home? If so then I'm leaning a little more towards buying one.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
As a runner and triathlete I'm quite curious to see how well it works.

Though I can't imagine the watch alone can be as accurate as a GPS based watch, regardless of the algorithms and measurements it's using.

Hoping to see GPS in future versions, but I don't think I'll replace my TomTom watch for workouts just yet.

TheRealTVGuy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
Orlando, FL
I'm more interested in the grayish area of the sport band she's attaching in the first picture.

Could the bands be smarter than we thought? Will they have some form of proprietary tech that limits what kind of after-market bands you can use, similar to the lightning connector?

Maybe I just accidentally put on my tin foil hat this morning...

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Except, it still can't tell my route w/o a GPS, that's a show stopper for me.

green94

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2009
Exactly what I was waiting to hear...

Sick of running with my 6+, so this is great news.

Multiverse223

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2015
Except, it still can't tell my route w/o a GPS, that's a show stopper for me.

I get that it's cool to know your route, but how is that a show stopper for anyone?! Having GPS to know your route is 100% useless data as far as anything but motivation is concerned, it's only convenient data.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I get that it's cool to know your route, but how is that a show stopper for anyone?! Having GPS to know your route is 100% useless data as far as anything but motivation is concerned, it's only convenient data.

Because it shows how fast (or slow), I'm doing on a particular area. To me, I don't want to spend 500 dollars for a pedometer, but rather 250 for product that can map my runs without the need of a phone.

Also I don't always know my route, I run in the city and take different streets, it's a nice feature to have it mapped out when you finish up.

chocolaterabbit

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2008
Because it shows how fast (or slow), I'm doing on a particular area. To me, I don't want to spend 500 dollars for a pedometer, but rather 250 for product that can map my runs without the need of a phone.

Also I don't always know my route, I run in the city and take different streets, it's a nice feature to have it mapped out when you finish up.

It'd be cool if the accelerometer can track how fast or slow you go on the run, and also track direction so that when you get back to your phone it can plot out the run without needing the GPS. I think this is definitely a possibility.

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010

Knowing your route is not the biggest thing these GPS devices can do. Often is critical to know your pace, speed, or elevation.

I'm not stating that Apple Watch should have GPS on it, they can do whatever they see fit. But seriously, please don't try to pretend or fool yourself in thinking that these derived data can give you what the GPS can. They are merely derived information.

WrQth

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2010

How do you know it won't be able to tell you your pace for a given duration? Doesn't the :apple: Watch detect elevation change as well? This would only leave you not know where ran that particular occasion.

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007

Have any data is only convenient data using that logic... Having your speed/HR mapped onto the route is very useful.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
How do you know it won't be able to tell you your pace for a given duration? Doesn't the :apple: Watch detect elevation change as well? This would only leave you not know where ran that particular occasion.

It might be able to me my pace on a given split, but it won't show me on a map where that occurred.

Sounds like the apple watch is a good product of you, which is great. For me the lack of a GPS is a show stopper. I don't know why trying to convince me that the GPS is a feature that isn't needed. I'm a runner who enjoys lots of running and having it mapped out is a major feature. I bought a fitbit surge, which works great. It does what I want it too, the apple watch does not do what I want it too.

odds

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2014
Los Angeles
For anyone in here complaining or just plain concerned about not being able to use the Watch to its full capacity without also carrying their iPhone with them during their physical activities, I have the perfect solution for YOU!

Here it is... Presenting...

71UF6luV3DL._UL1500_.jpg

YES! The FANNY PACK!

Used by athletes around the world, the fanny pack has become an essential carrying tool for active people who need quick, convenient, and out-of-the-way mobile storage!

neon_fanny_pack_3.jpg

TXCherokee

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2012

I'm much more likely to get one because of the feature mentioned, but I also ride a bike in addition to running. For me a lack of GPS is not a show stopper (because I'll do as I do now and put my phone in a case mounted on my handlebars).

But you are incorrect in saying the GPS is only motivational. Biking cannot be measured with an accelerometer.

....unless you attach it to your ankle. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.