Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Ahead of the Apple Watch's upcoming April 24 launch, apps that include Apple Watch support are beginning to be released in the App Store. As of today, several popular iOS apps have been updated with built-in Apple Watch apps, including Evernote, Dark Sky, Things, and Target.

Additional apps with Apple Watch support will be rolling out over the course of the day, giving us a first look at how many of the apps on the device will function. We'll be updating this post with a list of Apple Watch apps that are available as they come out in the App Store.

Apple has already shared information on many third-party apps that will be available for the Apple Watch, but the updates coming today will give us a lot more information on how some of our favorite apps will take advantage of the App Store.

According to Evernote's app description, for example, users will be able to dictate notes into the Apple Watch, which will be transcribed and synced to Evernote. Users will also be able to see recently created, updated, and viewed notes, and get reminders about items that are due. Dark Sky's weather information will be brought to the wrist, and according to the app release notes, it's been designed from scratch to fit on the smaller screen of the Apple Watch.

thingsevernote.jpg
As we've mentioned before, Apple Watch apps are bundled into existing iPhone apps because the iPhone powers the app while a UI is extended to the Apple Watch. This helps to preserve battery and it controls the amount of access developers have to the watch. Apps that run fully on the Apple Watch are coming in the future, but are not available yet.

The Apple Watch will be available for pre-order and try-on sessions at Apple retail stores beginning on April 10. Third-party Apple Watch apps have likely started popping up today to allow Apple Store employees to install content on demo Apple Watches that will be shown off to customers.

Here's a comprehensive list of Apple Watch apps available with a brief description of what they'll do:

Click here to read rest of article...

Article Link: Apple Watch Apps Begin Showing Up in the App Store Ahead of Apple Watch Launch

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
I'm a developer and wasn't aware Apple was accepting builds with Watch extensions!?

I haven't received any email yet....

heeloliver

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2014
Awesome. Will be cool to see a lot more soon.

My wishes are for Spotify and Voxer.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
I'm with Dark Sky. Yeah, where are the flying cars, power laces, size adjusting cloths, HYDRATING PIZZAS? Well we do have pay with your thumb (Apple Pay)

As a scientist, I R disappoint.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
So app sizes will continue to grow, even if those assets will never be used by the user?

I also don't like it that each app includes all the assets for all supported screen sizes. (A universal app will contain iPad assets even if its downloaded to an iPhone).

To some degree this makes sense. Apps are simpler to manage, but at the expensive of app sizes. Eventually it becomes inefficient to pack all those assets into a single app when only 10% of them will be used. I think that time is approaching now that there are 3 categories of devices (tablet, phone, watch).

Maybe it's time to update the app store to be smarter, where it can package the app downloads with only the relevant assets for the device downloading it, on the fly. Shouldn't be too hard, aren't .app files just containers anyway?

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
I hope they expand the headline on the App Store to add Apple Watch next to iPhone and iPad so we don't have to go looking for the apps. It's hard enough to find what you're looking for on the iTunes Store as it is. Still think iWatch would have been a better name for it.

ObsidianKt

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2008
I'm a developer and wasn't aware Apple was accepting builds with Watch extensions!?

Same here. How are these developers already on the store if Apple isn't accepting submissions? Are these just Apple's chosen few that they've given special access to?

Daalseth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Honestly, though I've been skeptical of the Apple Watch, indeed the whole wearable concept I like these. IMO while everyone was wasting time with fashion discussions and fitness apps that I really don't think many will use, and reading a 1000 word email on a 1 inch screen this is what they should have been talking about. Apps that really could do something. Still pretty sure I'm not interested in the Apple Watch. Pulling out the phone to check the Target App on a screen I might actually be able to read is more to my taste. But the Apps listed here sound a LOT more useful to me than anything the industry Hype machine has been crowing about until now.

ttss6

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2014
California
I'm excited to see how game developers utilize the  Watch to improve their gaming experience. For example CoD Zombies could have the watch "tap" you to alert you that there's a zombie behind you.

Bathplug

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Dictation, siri etc is stupid. Unless your blind or don't have fingers to type then just get your phone out and type.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Kitchen Stories also got an Apple Watch extension update.

Q8ebCIg.jpg

Dictation, siri etc is stupid. Unless your blind or don't have fingers to type then just get your phone out and type.

My mom is not a U.S. native, she speaks english well (slight accent) but she struggles with the typing/spelling/writing but she's able to dictate her messages to me using Siri, she finds it a tremendous tool to not just sent me a text but look up an address on Maps, take notes or set reminders to name a few.

Open your mind just a bit.

Last edited:

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
So app sizes will continue to grow, even if those assets will never be used by the user?

I also don't like it that each app includes all the assets for all supported screen sizes. (A universal app will contain iPad assets even if its downloaded to an iPhone).

To some degree this makes sense. Apps are simpler to manage, but at the expensive of app sizes. Eventually it becomes inefficient to pack all those assets into a single app when only 10% of them will be used. I think that time is approaching now that there are 3 categories of devices (tablet, phone, watch).

Maybe it's time to update the app store to be smarter, where it can package the app downloads with only the relevant assets for the device downloading it, on the fly. Shouldn't be too hard, aren't .app files just containers anyway?

So true.

Don't forget language files, those should be installed when you choose to and not preinstalled as it is now.

Ambush083

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2008
Hawaii
I'm excited to see how game developers utilize the  Watch to improve their gaming experience. For example CoD Zombies could have the watch "tap" you to alert you that there's a zombie behind you.

Bro / Sis, this is a really good idea.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.