Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
No Al Powerbook can natively boot OS 9, although I think there are some hacks floating around that might allow it to work.

You're much better off with a Titanium Powerbook if you want to boot OS 9. Both my 1ghz Tis are rockets with OS 9.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
On the AlBooks you can only install OS9 as Classic and it can only be used up to 10.4. 10.5 does not support Classic.

Generally how it's done is simply moving over the system folder from a different Mac that's already had OS9 installed.

You cannot boot into OS9 with an AlBook.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Ah, no wonder there is no option for OS9 drivers in Disk Utility under 10.5.
So what would moving the system folder over in 10.4 achieve if you can't boot, does it emulate OS9?

Guess I'll have to find Windows versions of the games-- wanted to juice some extra nostalgia out of my Powerbook. Oh well.
Yes.

OS9 runs similar to a VM inside OS X. OS9 apps will display just like OS X apps except that the icon in the dock will be low res.

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
10.4 and older have the "Classic Environment" which is like parralells or something like that. The OS 9 windows appear with the OS X windows, and the OS 9 apps appear in the dock too. When you select an OS 9 window the menu bar switches to the OS 9 menu bar, and when you select an OS X window it switches back to OS X.

If you need OS 9, one place you can get it is here:
https://winworldpc.com/product/mac-os-9/92

Drag the System Folder anywhere you want (preferably in the root directory) and select it in the Classic preference pane.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.