Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today officially announced April 10 grand openings for its three dedicated Apple Watch shops located in high-end department stores in London, Paris, and Tokyo. As previously outlined, the store-within-a-store locations are at Selfridges in London, Galeries Lafayette in Paris, and Isetan in Tokyo.

apple_watch_selfridges_opening.jpg
The new locations appear set to handle only Apple Watch viewing and sales, with customers being directed to other Apple retail stores for their support needs.

The Selfridges Apple Watch shop will be located near the entrance to the iconic Wonder Room, a massive shopping hall that houses a wide selection of luxury jewelry and watch brands alongside a concept store and mezzanine wine bar. Apple has reportedly been drawing employees from other retail stores in London to staff the new shop. The Galeries Lafayette shop will take over four balcony sections overlooking the main rotunda of the department store.

Paris-Galeries-Lafayette-Apple-Watch.jpg
Apple Watch shop at Galeries Lafayette in Paris (Source: Getty Images via iGen.fr)
Apple will begin in-store previews and pre-orders for the Apple Watch on April 10, with launches in the first wave of countries coming two weeks later. The high-end gold Apple Watch Edition models will only be available at select Apple retail stores, and the dedicated Apple Watch shops at these luxury department stores will almost certainly also be featuring the gold watches, which are priced from $10,000 to $17,000.

Article Link: Apple Announces April 10 Grand Openings for Apple Watch Shops in London, Paris, and Tokyo

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Well I guess that answers the question of "How are they going to store/sell these in existing Apple Stores?" They aren't. I assume eventually at least some of the larger Apple Stores will, but probably need a lot of modification first.

charlieroberts

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2007
So, it'll be launched at these stores on april 10th but you won't be able to buy it until te 24th?
Seems weird to showcase it without letting people buy it!

the 10th can t come soon enough.

ksuyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
Oh nice. I am contemplating to camp out the Apple store. This piece of beautiful jewellery, my body is ready!

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Well I guess that answers the question of "How are they going to store/sell these in existing Apple Stores?" They aren't. I assume eventually at least some of the larger Apple Stores will, but probably need a lot of modification first.

All Apple stores are getting the watch. According to 9to5Mac the night of 8th and/or 9th will be used to get stores ready. These are just dedicated Watch store-within-a-store.

ttss6

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2014
California
It'd be such an interesting experience to go into one of those stores and pay for the $17k yellow gold watch with midnight blue strap by slapping down 170 $100 dollar bills

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
There is very little buzz for the apple watch

Apple watch finally releases a dud product

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
So, it'll be launched at these stores on april 10th but you won't be able to buy it until te 24th?
Seems weird to showcase it without letting people buy it!

the 10th can t come soon enough.

This is because Apple has no idea how many of what kind will sell where.

The pre-order helps Apple to dispatch and shift supplies to those locations on an as needed basis as opposed to shipping a lot of stock into the store channel (which would assure some stores had too many of a type and other stores had too little.)

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Apple watch finally releases a dud product

You mean Apple releases a dud product? Because Apple Watch is a product itself.

Everytime there is a new product from Apple, comments like yours keep flourishing, and years after they become embarresing and yet funn to read :D

Last edited by a moderator:

entropys

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
So at these upmarket locations will they still have the blue t shirt for staff?
Maybe they get a special Apple suit?

Same colour blue, shawl collar, Steve Jobs bow tie from the eighties. Velour?

RockSpider

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
If they had a Gold one with a half decent battery life I'd be willing to risk paying $50 for one.

Trapezoid

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
These apple watch threads are going to be so hilarious to read if the apple watch end up being a huge success. I think I will bookmark this one as a matter of fact lol. Only three pages in and there's potential to be some funny stuff to look back at once a year rolls around.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
These apple watch threads are going to be so hilarious to read if the apple watch end up being a huge success. I think I will bookmark this one as a matter of fact lol. Only three pages in and there's potential to be some funny stuff to look back at once a year rolls around.

You don't need to wait a year, mate. Some idiot said the Watch will fail within three months!

Last edited by a moderator:

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
It'd be such an interesting experience to go into one of those stores and pay for the $17k yellow gold watch with midnight blue strap by slapping down 170 $100 dollar bills

That would be a slight problem in a shop in the UK or Paris, especially since they may not be equipped to detect forged $100 notes.

----------

If they had a Gold one with a half decent battery life I'd be willing to risk paying $50 for one.

You should start saving then.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
This I habe to see, gonna pop into self fridges and have a look once it's setup.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
You would also need 20,042 of those US Dollars to pay for it in the London store and 19,504 in Paris. ;)

People paying in US$ will probably qualify for a VAT refund. But you are right, that would be a refund, you first have to pay the full price. And you may have looked at official exchange rates; you won't get that many pounds if you exchange bank notes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.