Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Do the keys come in contact with the screen when you close the lid?

I was putting my laptop in a leather sleeve and the fit was snug. The lid was being pushed down onto the keyboard. It made me wonder, will that pressure cause the staining?

AliMacs

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2014

I was putting my laptop in a leather sleeve and the fit was snug. The lid was being pushed down onto the keyboard. It made me wonder, will that pressure cause the staining?

If it was due to the keyboard, you would see stains resembling the keyboard keys. I say it's just defective AR coating.

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis

Do you not see the black buffer around the edge of the lid which prevents the screen touching the keys? It's a defective AR coating (the application of it) and there are many people with this issue including myself. Apple have agreed to replaced the whole screen at not cost to me - taking it in on Monday. I have heard whispers of an official programme soon in regards to this issue. A lot of people are emailing tim cook (tcook@apple.com) with pictures and getting a phone call 2 days later from Executive Relations, who authorise replacement with no cost.

Thunderboltedge

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2014
Milan
You are freaking me out with this staingate. I have my mid 2014 macbook pro which is going to expiring the 1 year warranty and I have to take the decision to go for the Applecare or not.
I never like this kind of insurance but these threads are giving me so many doubts.

I look at my mac and keep thinking the day he'll die:(

TekGuy

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2014
You are freaking me out with this staingate. I have my mid 2014 macbook pro which is going to expiring the 1 year warranty and I have to take the decision to go for the Applecare or not.
I never like this kind of insurance but these threads are giving me so many doubts.

I look at my mac and keep thinking the day he'll die:(

I get freaked out to. My first Apple product, rMBP (mid 2014) bought in December 2014. I bought AppleCare with mine but still worried it's going to happen to me. I get anxious listening about this staingate. I bought my rMBP in December 2014 direct from Apple store with Yosemite preinstalled so hopefully it's recent enough that mine won't get the problem as in hopefully they sorted whatever it is that causes it.

I keep mine on my desk 24/7, it never goes out or been put in a bag or anything so hopefully that will help and at the moment it looks perfect, I use organic, all natural, chemical free Eco+ screen cleaner (made in britain) from Amazon UK. I've used it now for about 3 years on my TV and mobiles etc and only product i use and so far i've never had no ill effects, it's expensive but it does last ages and i wouldn't buy a cheap cleaning product for an expensive rMBP.

I don't like buying any kind of insurance either but the cost of a repair/replacement it's just not worth leaving the apple care out to be honest, It gives me such peace of mind (sort of) lol but can be bought much cheaper online, just do research on the seller in question and ask questions if you go down this route.

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis
You are freaking me out with this staingate. I have my mid 2014 macbook pro which is going to expiring the 1 year warranty and I have to take the decision to go for the Applecare or not. I never like this kind of insurance but these threads are giving me so many doubts. I look at my mac and keep thinking the day he'll die:(

This issue usually starts on the black bezel of the system itself. Starts with a couple of spots and when you use a lint-free cloth and tap water it gets worse and spreads. It's the actual coating itself. You wont' need AppleCare as this would be covered under your original 12 month warranty, and there are plenty of people who have had their displays replaced completely free even outside the original warranty.

My MBPR is a Late 2014 15" and its screen replacement is starting on Monday - no cost to me - Apple's paying the $1,400 repair bill not me. I simply rang AppleCare, sent pictures of the issue and they approved the free replacement display.

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis
I get freaked out to. My first Apple product, rMBP (mid 2014) bought in December 2014. I bought AppleCare with mine but still worried it's going to happen to me. I get anxious listening about this staingate. I bought my rMBP in December 2014 direct from Apple store with Yosemite preinstalled so hopefully it's recent enough that mine won't get the problem as in hopefully they sorted whatever it is that causes it.

I keep mine on my desk 24/7, it never goes out or been put in a bag or anything so hopefully that will help and at the moment it looks perfect, I use organic, all natural, chemical free Eco+ screen cleaner (made in britain) from Amazon UK. I've used it now for about 3 years on my TV and mobiles etc and only product i use and so far i've never had no ill effects, it's expensive but it does last ages and i wouldn't buy a cheap cleaning product for an expensive rMBP.

I don't like buying any kind of insurance either but the cost of a repair/replacement it's just not worth leaving the apple care out to be honest, It gives me such peace of mind (sort of) lol but can be bought much cheaper online, just do research on the seller in question and ask questions if you go down this route.

You don't use any cleaning chemicals, solvents, alcohol rubs, etc as these can scratch (etch) the glass display itself. The issue is the coating coming off which should never happen. All you need is a lint-free cloth and tap water. This issue usually starts on the black bezel of the system itself. Starts with a couple of spots and when you use a lint-free cloth and tap water it gets worse and spreads. It's the actual coating itself. You wont' need AppleCare as this would be covered under your original 12 month warranty, and there are plenty of people who have had their displays replaced completely free even outside the original warranty.

My MBPR is a Late 2014 15" and its screen replacement is starting on Monday - no cost to me - Apple's paying the $1,400 repair bill not me. I simply rang AppleCare, sent pictures of the issue and they approved the free replacement display.

Thunderboltedge

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2014
Milan
This issue usually starts on the black bezel of the system itself. Starts with a couple of spots and when you use a lint-free cloth and tap water it gets worse and spreads. It's the actual coating itself. You wont' need AppleCare as this would be covered under your original 12 month warranty, and there are plenty of people who have had their displays replaced completely free even outside the original warranty.

After your message I am freaking out even more.
Mine is a mid 2014 macbook pro 15" 512ssd bought in November with installed Mavericks.

Now I keep watching the black bazel looking for the signs of its illness. That's not a life. If I am going to see any of these signs I think I will put an end to his pain throwing it out of the window. Better a short high pain than what you have described, we won't be able to bare it.:(

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis
Mine is a mid 2014 macbook pro 15" 512ssd bought in November with installed Mavericks.

Now I keep watching the black bazel looking for the signs of its illness. That's not a life. If I am going to see any of these signs I think I will put an end to his pain throwing it out of the window. Better a short high pain than what you have described, we won't be able to bare it.:(

To see any marks look at the bezel and screen in direct light and move you head around the whole screen on different angles because when the coating as these marks can appear from anywhere. Mine just happened to start top right corner of the bezel. The giveaway here is that the reflection is the giveaway. It's obviously a manufacturing defect.

TekGuy

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2014
You don't use any cleaning chemicals, solvents, alcohol rubs, etc as these can scratch (etch) the glass display itself. The issue is the coating coming off which should never happen. All you need is a lint-free cloth and tap water. This issue usually starts on the black bezel of the system itself. Starts with a couple of spots and when you use a lint-free cloth and tap water it gets worse and spreads. It's the actual coating itself. You wont' need AppleCare as this would be covered under your original 12 month warranty, and there are plenty of people who have had their displays replaced completely free even outside the original warranty.

Yeah I understand what you mean. Funny enough I've just booked a genius appointment for a week today at Apple.

I think my screen maybe screwed or GPU or some technical glitch somewhere, I've posted a thread about it. Hope it's not a problem with the screen or hardware related :/

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008

You should see a shrink. You may have OCD.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
That can be cured, sense of humor you just have or not.
That sentence makes no sense. I'm guessing you're saying I have no sense of humour?

I do, actually. Except that written text does not carry tone. Seeing as you're in Milan, English probably isn't your first language (it isn't mine either), so your tone may have gotten lost in translation.

Thunderboltedge

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2014
Milan
That sentence makes no sense. I'm guessing you're saying I have no sense of humour?

I do, actually. Except that written text does not carry tone. Seeing as you're in Milan, English probably isn't your first language (it isn't mine either), so your tone may have gotten lost in translation.
I am not in Milan anymore but yes probably it was lost.
Anyway you don't need any kind of tone to perceive it. If you really took that message seriously I agree:
we do have a problem.
I wouldn't look in Milan to find it by the wayo_O

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
I am not in Milan anymore but yes probably it was lost.
Anyway you don't need any kind of tone to perceive it. If you really took that message seriously I agree:
we do have a problem.
I wouldn't look in Milan to find it by the wayo_O
You'd be surprised at how much obsessive behaviour around a Mac gets posted around here. Most of it is serious. I took you seriously out of habit, because well, there are people who actually think that way on here.

Thunderboltedge

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2014
Milan
You'd be surprised at how much obsessive behaviour around a Mac gets posted around here. Most of it is serious. I took you seriously out of habit, because well, there are people who actually think that way on here.
you're so right:D
I definitely agree

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis
Ah, your source is a Mr Bob Ullcrap. Got it.

Listen here my system has the same display / coating issue and Apple know about it hence they are replacing my display for free. These are mass manufactured and it appears the coating is being applied incorrectly. Apple have not officially announced repair programme but will be soon. There is even a Facebook group regarding this issue and everyone has had their display replaced for free no matter if in out outside warranty.

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
There's a Facebook group? You should have led with that. It would have saved everyone a ton of time.

Dead0k

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2015
Poland
i think that mbps from 2013 only are affected by this issue..
And it is a progress since the beginning of the issue, because before the mass appearance, apple stores(bars) didnt accept this defect.

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis
i think that mbps from 2013 only are affected by this issue..
And it is a progress since the beginning of the issue, because before the mass appearance, apple stores(bars) didnt accept this defect.

My system has the issue and its a Mid 2014 model. New screen will be done by Thursday.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.