Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple CEO Tim Cook today sent out a series of Tweets condemning Indiana Governor Mike Pence's decision to sign a controversial "religious freedom" bill into law, saying Apple is "deeply disappointed" in the move and "open for everyone."

Apple is open for everyone. We are deeply disappointed in Indiana s new law and calling on Arkansas Gov. to veto the similar #HB1228. - Tim Cook (@tim_cook) March 27, 2015
The religious freedom legislation that was approved by Pence on Thursday could let businesses turn away gay and lesbian customers by citing "religious freedom." The approval of the bill has earned Indiana national attention, and much of it has been negative, with organizations and companies throughout the United States vowing to stop supporting the state.

mikepence.jpg
Senate Bill 101 prohibits state or local governments from substantially burdening a person's ability to exercise their religion -- unless the government can show that it has a compelling interest and that the action is the least-restrictive means of achieving it. It takes effect July 1.
Along with Apple's condemnation, the NCAA has questioned the impact the legislation will have on future sporting events, Salesforce has vowed to halt expansion plans in the state, several conventions typically held in Indiana have said they will find other venues, and San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee spoke out against the decision and barred all non-essential publicly funded City employee travel to the state.

In his tweets, Cook also called for Arkansas Governor Asa Hutchinson to veto H.B.1228, a similar bill that was recently passed by the Arkansas state senate, and he reiterated Apple's own commitment to equality and its efforts to treat every customer the same, regardless of "how they worship or who they love."

Around the world, we strive to treat every customer the same -- regardless of where they come from, how they worship or who they love. - Tim Cook (@tim_cook) March 27, 2015
Cook came out as gay last October, but even before then, he's had a long history of supporting equality and speaking out against discrimination. In 2013, he lectured on equality at his alma mater Auburn University, and during that same year, both he and Apple publicly supported the Employment Nondiscrimination Act.

Under his direction, Apple released a statement in support of Supreme Court gay marriage rulings, and Cook also led Apple to march in support of the LGBT community during the 44th annual Pride parade in San Francisco.

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Apple CEO Tim Cook Speaks Out Against Indiana's 'Religious Freedom' Law

usarioclave

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
You might be free to believe whatever, but that doesn't mean your beliefs don't have consequences.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Bracing for the onslaught of bigots that we see every time they put a front page article in PRSI.

Many religious types should heed my signature.

xero9

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2006
This seems like a slippery slope. Not for Apple, but Indiana. Crazy that in 2015, this is passed.

hexor

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2002
Minnesota
How will a business tell if someone is gay or lesbian? Wouldn't this make it easy to discriminate against anyone?

aarond12

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2002
Dallas, TX USA
This is bowing to the Christian majority in the state. As usual, this politician wants to get re-elected, but his entire state is going to get screwed when businesses start taking away money.

Many of these religious-based laws are short-sighted. There was one in Alabama allowing state funds to be used for private schools. When a Musilm school wanted funds, they balked. Why are politicians so short-sighted?

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
What a terrible law, hopefully it isn't in place for long!

Good on Apple for coming out against it.

ayale99

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2007
As a resident of Indiana, let me make it absolutely clear that the vast majority of hoosiers (including our Republican mayor of Indianapolis, christians, conservatives and all sorts of businesses) told Pence that we do not want this.

He's padding his resume for a future presidential run at our expense.

larrylaffer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2009
Los Angeles
I don't think i recall corporate America ever responding so quickly and so harshly to an (in my opinion) unjust law.

I can't imagine this law is going to hang around long with this heavy of a response.

Scott549

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2010
Good for Cook. It's sad that en entire state can support a pro-discrimination law. It's OK to discriminate as long as you think it is authorized by a supernatural power. :(

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
Bracing for the onslaught of bigots that we see every time they put a front page article in PRSI.

Many religious types should heed my signature.

Yep, someone commented pondering how a law like this could get passed in 2015, but the comments in this post will inevitably show we aren't as progressive as we think.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Is he calling the Arkansas governor to veto an Indiana bill?

No. Arkansas has a similar bill that has been (or soon will be) passed, but not yet signed into law. Cook is asking Hutchinson (governor of Arkansas) to veto that bill.

EDIT: What Moyank said. :)

BL.

tgwaste

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
putting everything aside for a moment...

.. are there a lot of businesses out there wanting to turn away customers for this reason? I'm my 38 years on earth I've never seen one. At least not that I knew of.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
Interesting debate to be a part of.

My initial reaction is "they can turn away gay customers? That's terrible!" but that's only because turning someone away is against what I believe.

In the UK there is a fear that Christianity isn't covered by the same protection as other religions. For example, Muslims can refuse to serve certain types of meat at work, and their employers can't do anything. However, if I decided I refused to work Sundays - or Good Friday - because I'm a Christian, I doubt I would be protected.

Christians who believe, quietly, privately and without spreading hate, that homosexuality is wrong, are still forced to perform gay marriage ceremonies.

Anyway, that's a slight deviation.

Jesus is quite clear in the bible: Everyone sins.

If you want to debate whether homosexuality is right or wrong, fine. But if your business is going to turn away all potential customers who have sinned, you won't be able to sell to anyone.

larrylaffer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2009
Los Angeles
How will a business tell if someone is gay or lesbian? Wouldn't this make it easy to discriminate against anyone?

The heart of this issue is the idea that a same-sex engaged couple can go into a wedding cake baker, and the wedding cake baker can now, thanks to this law, refuse to provide them service.

Frankly, this reminds me of the "voter fraud" issue pushed by the conservative agenda a few years ago. Voter fraud is very much *not* a problem in the US, but by manufacturing an issue, they can dominate the nightly news.

I think this is a similar situation. The vast majority of wedding cake bakers would not want to discriminate against a gay couple, because turning away business for such a reason is financial suicide. Yes, there are some businesses out there that would want to turn away a gay customer. In general though, most people are smart enough to hide their personal opinion for their business' sake. Laws like this really are only created as political fodder for governors with future presidential or senatorial aspirations.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
The First Church of Baby Sacrificers also has a "Religious Freedom" bill in the works. They MUST kidnap and murder babies or go to hell! All beliefs about supernatural matters are valid, and all actions driven by supernatural beliefs MUST be legal! :p

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Props to the governor for not following the herd only doing what is politically correct. If I have objections to making a wedding cake for a gay couple government should have the right to force me to do it. Go someplace else where I'm sure another baker would be more than happy to satisfy the request. The marketplace should decide these things not government.

tgwaste

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Interesting debate to be a part of.

My initial reaction is "they can turn away gay customers? That's terrible!" but that's only because turning someone away is against what I believe.

In the UK there is a fear that Christianity isn't covered by the same protection as other religions. For example, Muslims can refuse to serve certain types of meat at work, and their employers can't do anything. However, if I decided I refused to work Sundays - or Good Friday - because I'm a Christian, I doubt I would be protected.

Those who believe, quietly, privately and without spreading hate, that homosexuality is wrong, are still forced to perform gay marriage ceremonies.

Back to the US...

If US law is based on Christianity, then this recent news story is appalling. After all Jesus said love and accept everyone. Not "don't sell to sinners" - even if you believe being gay is a sin.

Thats because the UK abhors Christianity.

At my place of business we have whats called a Floating Holiday that we can use for whatever purpose we like. Myself being a Catholic I use it for Good Friday.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.