Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Over the past couple of weeks, rumors have leaked pointing towards an Apple-branded streaming television service that could include 25 channels for $30 to $40 per month with partners like CBS, ABC, and Fox. NBC and parent company Comcast are not part of the negotiations, and according to a new report from Re/code, that's because Apple has not approached Comcast about a partnership.

Earlier rumors about the streaming television service suggested NBC's absence from the upcoming package was due to a falling out between Apple and Comcast, but on Thursday, Comcast said that wasn't true in a letter that it sent to the Federal Communications Commission. Comcast's letter was a response to a filing from Stop Mega Comcast, a group that's opposed to a Comcast-Time Warner merging, and in it, Comcast said Apple had not even approached NBC for a content deal.

appletv.png
Stop Mega Comcast's note, filed on Wednesday, said, "Comcast may be withholding affiliated NBCUniversal ("NBCU") content in an effort to thwart the entry of potential new video competitors." The note cited a recent Wall Street Journal report that said Apple wasn't talking to NBCUniversal because of a "falling-out between Apple and NBCUniversal parent company Comcast."

That's a bit right but mostly wrong, Comcast attorney Francis Buono wrote to the FCC: "Not only has NBCUniversal not 'withheld' programming from Apple's new venture, Apple has not even approached NBCUniversal with such a request." I've asked Apple for comment.
It is not clear why Apple has not approached NBC about a possible content deal for its most recent streaming television efforts, but Apple and Comcast have attempted to negotiate a deal in the past, which didn't pan out. The Wall Street Journal has suggested that earlier talks failed to establish a deal due to Comcast's focus on its own X1 web streaming platform.

As noted by Re/code, Apple could initiate talks with NBC in the future or potentially take advantage of a clause in the contract that was established when Comcast and NBC merged several years back, which would force NBC to license its content to Apple if Apple were able to establish deals with the company's competitors.

Apple may be planning to debut its streaming television service at this year's Worldwide Developers Conference in June. Many of the details about the service remain unknown, including the channel lineup Apple is aiming for, but the company is said to be in talks with ABC, CBS, Fox, Disney, ESPN, Discovery, and Viacom, which would give Apple access to channels like Animal Planet, TLC, MTV, Comedy Central, and Nickelodeon.

The streaming television service may be accompanied by a revamped set-top box, rumored to include an A8 processor, expanded storage, an App Store, and Siri support.

Article Link: Apple Hasn't Approached NBC Over Content Deal for Upcoming Streaming TV Service

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
Just want a new ATV box that can work independently from itunes running on a Mac at all times. I would love to see a solution where I can plug/stream from a external drive where all my media is locate.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
This is an absurd claim on the face of it.

Comcast wouldn't be lying, now would they? Could Comcast ever do something like that?

TheRealTVGuy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
Orlando, FL
I hope Apple doesn't approach them. Launch the service without them, build up a strong user base, and use it as leverage when you finally do negotiate.

Although I'm stuck giving Comcast money every month for non-consistent internet access and the pleasure of speaking to their folks in Bogota, Columbia twice a month, so even with an AppleTV service, Comcast still gets my money...

malexandria

Suspended
Mar 25, 2009
Simple Really

Being the weasels that they are, they know NBC/Comcast is under Govt scrutiny right now, so they want the Govt to do their dirty work.

----------

Comcast wouldn't be lying, now would they? Could Comcast ever do something like that?

Apple wouldn't be lying, now would they? Could Apple ever do something like that?

ttss6

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2014
California
I would love an Apple TV app for iPhone, iPad, and Mac where no matter where you are you can access whatever is on currently or access recordings and watch them right then and there while connected to WiFi. Ex. If I'm on a plane ride I'd love to catch up on some of my favorite shows that are stored on my device, similar to the way the Podcast app works.

neoian

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2014
Hopefully Apple can seal the deal because all these streaming TV services are going to be very fragmented which defeats the whole purpose of a service like this.

Apple should develop a streaming platform like "AppleTV Live" and allow content creators to create channels and Apple would collect payment and manage all channel subscriptions in one place. Imagine ala carte channels rather than a bundle of channels that most people don't care about.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

I wouldn't really trust anything Comcast has to say.
So aside from just speculation/rumors, did someone actually say something otherwise to put what was mentioned in the article in question?

Trik

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2011
Washington, DC
Because Comcast owns NBC Universal, I wouldn't have shown my hand to them either if I was Apple. Work with the other major players and launch, otherwise Comcast would have some competing box or start undermining Apple before the new :apple:TV even launches. This way is much better, let the public / govt demand NBC be available on the box.

Pearl-g

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2014
what will NEVER happen, Comcast Sportsnet

Never ever happen, never be able:mad: to see live hawks games on the ATV :(

Dmunjal

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
I think Comcast will be forced to offer NBC to Apple.

http://truthonthemarket.com/2011/01/20/fcc-approves-comcast-nbc-merger-with-conditions/

"The Commission requires that Comcast and/or Comcast-NBCU:
Provides to all MVPDs, at fair market value and non-discriminatory prices, terms, and conditions, any affiliated content that Comcast makes available online to its own subscribers or to other MVPD subscribers.
Offers its video programming to legitimate OVDs on the same terms and conditions that would be available to an MVPD.
Makes comparable programming available on economically comparable prices, terms, and conditions to an OVD that has entered into an arrangement to distribute programming from one or more of Comcast-NBCU’s peers."

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
Being the weasels that they are, they know NBC/Comcast is under Govt scrutiny right now, so they want the Govt to do their dirty work.

----------

Apple wouldn't be lying, now would they? Could Apple ever do something like that?

Apple never said anything specifically about negotiating with NBC or Comcast. Re-direct your sarcasm back to the rumor sites such as this one.

----------

This is all just lawyers playing word games to avoid a formal investigation. Of course Apple has negotiated with them and will continue to negotiate with them. They're just pretending like NBC doesn't know what Comcast is doing or that the negotiations stopped when Comcast bought NBC or whatever else they can live with that's enough to get them through the night.

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
Oh, Yeah!

I'd definitely believe every word the mouthpiece for Comcast would say. Definitely. 20 minutes to Woper, can't miss Wopner...

Mykbibby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2007
Palm Springs, CA
"Apple could... potentially take advantage of a clause in the contract that was established when Comcast and NBC merged several years back, which would force NBC to license its content to Apple if Apple were able to establish deals with the company's competitors."

This is what they're doing, and it's absolutely brilliant.

Belmont31R

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2012
So glad Comcast was able to buy NBC so they control the delivery and the content itself. Thus they have huge leverage to squash competitors and deny new entrants.

Dmunjal

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
So glad Comcast was able to buy NBC so they control the delivery and the content itself. Thus they have huge leverage to squash competitors and deny new entrants.

Not per the agreement they made with the FCC. Of course, the FCC can refuse to enforce the agreement.

Gizmotoy

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
The whole "We didn't anger Apple, they haven't even talked to us!" statement doesn't really dispute the assertion that there was a falling out between the two companies.

Dorje Sylas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2011
Which would be a good reason Apple isn't bothering to talk to Comcast. Comcast is going to be forced to play whether they like it or not. Why bother going into a negotiation where they (Comcast) could possibly squeeze out a better deal. Especially if Comcast has spurned Apple before in a prior project/negotiation. We know as a cooperate entity Apple can be very vindictive.

It would be an almost Jobs style move.

betabeta

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2013
Clearly Comcast was an issue with Apple and it's original plans.

Now, Maybe Apple said screw it, we will go and get all the providers on our own one by one, and not even reach out to Comcast, let them come to us.

Brilliant! And I for one will live without NBC and all of it's other content for at least a few years, screw it.

Why should Apple go back to these idiots? Clearly Comcast is going to bleed money until it changes it's course.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Apple's goal here is to take over the TV business. Comcast would like to retain control.

If Apple approaches Comcast, Comcast will have crazy demands in an effort to derail Apple's TV efforts. Apple knows that, so Apple is just ignoring them for now. Once the roles are reversed and Apple is the giant in the TV business and Comcast is a has-been, then Apple can approach them and offer to let NBC be on Apple's service. It'll be a favor for Comcast, and Comcast will be willing to take a crappy deal because otherwise they have nothing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.