Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier this month, Apple began inviting a select number of developers to an Apple Watch development lab in Sunnyvale, California, located near the company's main Cupertino campus. Developers were invited to reserve a testing appointment to test their Apple Watch apps on actual Apple Watch devices to get ready for the device's April 24 launch.

One of the developers who had a chance to visit Apple's WatchKit lab and get hands-on time with the Apple Watch shared his testing experience with MacRumors and gave us some of his thoughts on the device after spending all day using it.

Apple maintained strict control over the Apple Watches that developers were allowed to use for testing. Security guards were on hand, and developers were not allowed into the room until receiving a badge, which had to be worn at all times. Entering into the lab was done through two doorways, each of which was locked and could only be opened via an electronic keycard.

applewatchcollection.jpg
Developers had to cover their cameras and leave their bags on shelves, and they were not allowed to pair the Apple Watch with their own iPhones. No one was allowed to go to the bathroom or run out for coffee until they let Apple's security see their wrists to prove they weren't leaving with a watch.

Apple has used similar tight security when bringing the Apple Watch on location to be featured in magazines as well, and it's clear they're making sure none of these devices leak out ahead of April 24.

In the lab, there were 5 rows of long tables, and approximately 10 developers could fit at each table. Apple had five engineers on hand to help developers put the finishing touches on their apps, and all of the engineers in the room were described as helpful and insightful. It's still not clear what criteria Apple used to decide which developers to invite to Sunnyvale, but a lot of major app developers were there, as were teams from various startups and bigger companies.

Developers were given 42mm Apple Watch Sport models to test their apps with, and 38mm models were only supplied upon request. The developer we spoke to thought the Sport models were "extremely light" and did not look tacky or cheesy. He also thought that the 42mm Apple Watch was the ideal size, neither too big nor too small. The extra 4mm of screen size made a big difference when it came to reading text on the device, and he thought that people who used the Apple Watch for long periods of time might better appreciate the larger screen.

apple_watch_green.jpg
The design and the feel of the watch were described as "absolutely amazing" and software was described as "fluid" and not like other smart watches available on the market. "Animations on the Apple Watch are really what separate it from its competitors," he said. Handoff works very well, letting users transfer tasks from the Apple Watch to the iPhone with ease, and Siri's functionality was described as "absolutely phenomenal."

He also shared a bit of information about battery life. Wearing the watch all day, he used it regularly to send messages and test his app, and he said the watch battery lasted all day with some to spare. He was really impressed and said, "When Apple says all day battery life, they mean it."

Overall, the developer that we spoke with thought his time at the Apple WatchKit lab was an "inspirational experience" and in his opinion, Apple is on the right track with the Apple Watch.

Apple has heavily guarded the Apple Watch thus far, but two weeks from today, the general public will be able to see the device in person and test it out after Apple begins its in-store try-on period. The company will let people schedule 15 minute appointments beginning on April 10, which is also the day that Apple Watch pre-orders will begin.

The Apple Watch will officially launch on April 24, but pre-orders are recommended because supplies may be constrained.

Article Link: Hands-On With the Apple Watch: A Developer's Experience at Apple's WatchKit Labs

philfry

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
That is an interesting tidbit about the size of the Apple Watch. I wasn't sure if I needed the 42mm version but now i'm starting to lean in that direction.

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
must say all the superlatives took a hit when siri was described as "absolutely phenomenal."

Lepton

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2002
Cold Spring Harbor, NY
That is an interesting tidbit about the size of the Apple Watch. I wasn't sure if I needed the 42mm version but now i'm starting to lean in that direction.
I'm getting the 42 mostly because I assume it will have a bigger battery, although its bigger screen may eat up some of the extra capacity.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
I've read tons of stuff saying that the apple watch won't succeed or it won't be useful or the battery life is too short. I'm still waiting for the report from someone who had the the actual watch in their hands and says they didn't like it.

Chatter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Uphill from Downtown
Meh. Just some guy who used the watch. Whoopty doo. Don't trust him at all.
I would rather trust the experts on this site who have never used the watch but know exactly why it sucks.

:D

Bug-Creator

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2011
Germany
Still haven seen the slightes reason why I would want that watch.

Even if they come up with some good ones, it surely won't be with rev 01 ;)

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
Does apple have another huge hit on their hands?

Nah. Too expensive, too big, too small, too light, too heavy, too Appley, Not Appley enough, can't get x band with y model, supplies constrained, manufacturing success rates are low, waited too long since first announcement, waiting too long between last announcement and shipping, etc.

I think that covers the gamut of what the doomsayers have posted so far.

TechRemarker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
The size comment is rather odd, since unlike an iPhone the size will be based on your wrist size that you can't control. People with big wrists would get the large and people with small would get the small.

Since your going to be wearing this all day every day potentially, the size should be based on comfort and fit and not whether you want to see more on your screen.

He mentions large for extended use, but the whole point of the AppleWatch is it's not meant for extended use, that's what the much larger iPhone is for and why the screen on the AppleWatch goes over very quickly and while Apps are very limited on the amount of time they can run at a time.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Nah. Too expensive, too big, too small, too light, too heavy, too Appley, Not Appley enough, can't get x band with y model, supplies constrained, manufacturing success rates are low, waited too long since first announcement, waiting too long between last announcement and shipping, etc.

I think that covers the gamut of what the doomsayers have posted so far.

you have forgotten the more philosophical Steve wouldn't want it, apple is not the same as it used to be, who would wear a watch in 2015 etc.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I've read tons of stuff saying that the apple watch won't succeed or it won't be useful or the battery life is too short. I'm still waiting for the report from someone who had the the actual watch in their hands and says they didn't like it.

People will just say this is all Apple PR from hand picked fanbois.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011

You won't see any of those until it's actually for sale. Anyone that has an Apple Watch now would never say anything bad about it for fear of being denied early access to pre-release Apple products in the future.

usarioclave

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Before handsfree, talking to yourself was something only the crazy did.

Now we'll have people talking into their wrists. Soon we're going to be all Dick Tracy and have Watch Facetime at 10 fps.

MRrainer

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
As usual

Pundits say it's a #fail.
Apple releases it.
People try it in-store and buy one instantly.

Ka-Ching!

There are probably a lot of negative and buggy things about it. But Apple usually knows how to hide them so you don't trip over them every single time you try to use it. Or at least 90% of the users don't.
That's how you get 90%+ customer satisfaction: just make sure your product works 100% for 90% of the people.

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
"Handoff works very well, letting users transfer tasks from the Apple Watch to the iPhone with ease,"

Do we know yet if we can do handoff from the Apple Watch to a Mac? Say for example, reading an email on the watch, and deciding to handoff directly to a Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.