Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ByteTheBooty

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2015
I don't need it.....but just by curiosity, does this company got their hands on the new MacBook?? Because they seem to have one one they're picture..??

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Thanks for the link. It's elegant, though the adapter alone is the same price as the Apple USB C to USB A dongle. The adapter is a whole lot more attractive, though!

I think this is early evidence that USB C is likely to see wide adoption, unlike some earlier Apple interface ventures. :eek:

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 8, 2009
Thanks for the link. It's elegant, though the adapter alone is the same price as the Apple USB C to USB A dongle. The adapter is a whole lot more attractive, though!

I don't see it getting funded, though. But it's a neat idea.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
it's the start of something good, adapters for apple products that don't require licensing proprietary connections.

am sure we'll see more good stuff, especially as usb-c starts showing up on more products.

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
$49 is way too steep for this thing. And it doesn't let you connect DisplayPort monitor and a wall charger.

At this point - Apple $79 digital A/V adapter is a better buy. Still good to see USB-C accessories starting to pop up.

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
I don't need it.....but just by curiosity, does this company got their hands on the new MacBook?? Because they seem to have one one they're picture..??

Looks Photoshopped to me.

Regular retail price they claim will be $98? Wow...

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
It's dumb. It doesn't solve any problem with just one port. Also, there is no reason a project like this should be on KickStarter. It is a very simple item that requires virtually zero development. You could basically call up a Chinese manufacturer with a spcification and order them yourself. Order a small amount first if you don't have the capital, and they will almost guarantee to sell out, but larger volume with the proceeds. Make a tidy profit.

Develop an elegant and efficient dock/hub with 2 USB-A and 2 USB-C out the front, and 1 Ethernet, 1 mDP, and 1 USB-C for charging out the back - now that would be a solution that satisfies a need. Get it down to about the size of a Snicker bar, offer it in the Macbook's colors, and match Apple's $79 price, and you've got yourself a real winner.

Maybe have a couple of versions, for HDMI instead of mDP or something.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
It's dumb. It doesn't solve any problem with just one port. Also, there is no reason a project like this should be on KickStarter. It is a very simple item that requires virtually zero development. You could basically call up a Chinese manufacturer with a spcification and order them yourself. Order a small amount first if you don't have the capital, and they will almost guarantee to sell out, but larger volume with the proceeds. Make a tidy profit.

Develop an elegant and efficient dock/hub with 2 USB-A and 2 USB-C out the front, and 1 Ethernet, 1 mDP, and 1 USB-C for charging out the back - now that would be a solution that satisfies a need. Get it down to about the size of a Snicker bar, offer it in the Macbook's colors, and match Apple's $79 price, and you've got yourself a real winner.

I'd buy your device for sure!

oGu

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2007

I really don't get it why it's not out yet. Also how long till we get a display that does all of this. I would buy any of these items in a heartbeat.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm not sure you can use the 29W power adapter to charge up the MB. It doesn't seem strong enough - Tbh, I'm just guessing, since the MB isn't even out yet.

Interesting kickstarted but once apple releases a lightening/usb-c cable,wouldn't that more or less mitigate the advantages. I'm sure flash driver makers will be rolling out usb-c drives as well (albeit expensively at first).

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
I'm not sure you can use the 29W power adapter to charge up the MB. It doesn't seem strong enough - Tbh, I'm just guessing, since the MB isn't even out yet.

Interesting kickstarted but once apple releases a lightening/usb-c cable,wouldn't that more or less mitigate the advantages. I'm sure flash driver makers will be rolling out usb-c drives as well (albeit expensively at first).

I would hope 29W is enough...that's what's included in the box with the Macbook... ;)

Last edited:

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010

And one already exists now.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
I really don't get it why it's not out yet. Also how long till we get a display that does all of this. I would buy any of these items in a heartbeat.

That's a good point. I'm sure for a lot of folks an external monitor with this array of ports would be a great solution. For me, I'd want the dongle hub I described, because I would want it both at my home office and out at my clients' offices (which covers three continents :))

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
It looks rather cumbersome to me. I'd like a docking station instead that combined an Ethernet and DisplayPort connection with a bunch of USB connectors.

Henge Docks. Go to the blog, scroll down to the Macbook post and enter your comments - they're listening.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.