Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pianoman88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
I installed a Samsung 840 Pro on my 2012 Mac Mini server and was so impressed with the speed that I replaced the two smaller SSDs (Raid 0) in my LaCie Little Big Disk (connected using Thunderbolt) with 840 Pros as well.

I installed Black magic design's Disk Speed Test and expected to see high from the array. What I saw was just the opposite.

I use Trim Enabler on all of the drives.

There is 281.13 Gb of space remaining out of 1 TB.

Any suggestions as to the cause?
(I'm including a test of the Mac Mini's drive as a reference.)

Attachments

• Mac Mini test.png
    Mac Mini test.png
    941.8 KB · Views: 1,218
  • Raid 0 test.png
    Raid 0 test.png
    902.9 KB · Views: 878

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
If you used a older hard disk LaCie Little Big Disk TB enclosure for your SSD RAID-0, you may actually have SATA II inside, and the firmware is optimized for hard disk usage which slows it down.

However, your speeds do seem abnormally slow even with this consideration. Here is a DiskSpeedTest of one of my "old" LittleBigDisk TB enclosures with a pair of SSDs (I think Crucial M4) in RAID-0:

(Using 840 Pro SSDs should produce about the same read speeds, but with higher write speeds close to the read speed.)

Attachments

• LaCieSSD_RAID0.png
    LaCieSSD_RAID0.png
    738.3 KB · Views: 373

pianoman88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
If you used a older hard disk LaCie Little Big Disk TB enclosure for your SSD RAID-0, you may actually have SATA II inside, and the firmware is optimized for hard disk usage which slows it down.

It shipped with two SSDs.

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
Agree with above - it's more than likely a SATA II interface, so at theoretical best you could get 300MB/s, so those results look about right.

pianoman88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
Was that an LaCie oem SSD product, or somebody modified one?

If it is the newer black LaCie LBD TB2 with 1TB in RAID-0 SSDs, it should be blazingly fast ... something is wrong!

It was their first version. It was on sale - cheap - at Best Buy. Now I know why.

I guess that it's time to invest in one of OWCs Thunderbay cases.

Celerondon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2013
Southern Cal
2010 Mac mini = USB 2.0

this it what im getting with a crucial sad in a inatec ex caddy rubish isnt it what could be wrong? 51 write 54 read

In this thread from February westentertainer had a similar problem.
can’t get air drop to work
hi can’t seem to get air drop to work beetween my mini 2010 with yosemite to join my iPhone 6 plus ...

Both the caddy and the Mac itself must have USB 3.

Only Macs from mid-2012 and later (Ivy Bridge and later) have USB 3.

The caddy itself must also be USB 3.

Is this slow performance with that same 2010 Mac mini?

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
In this thread from February westentertainer had a similar problem.

Is this slow performance with that same 2010 Mac mini?

The Mac Mini 2010 does not have USB 3, so yes, the performance is slow and normal.

----------

So I would be better off inserting into the mac making it internal

Exactly, because your Mac Mini does not have USB 3.0 ports.

Even internally, expect around 300 MB/s or so, because your internal bus is a SATA2 bus. Only 2011 models and later have SATA3.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.