Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nickwell24

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2008
First things first - Thank you to all who contribute/read this post.

Question: With Lightroom 5, is there an easy way to merge catalogs (including edits/tags) from Computer A (Laptop) to Computer B (Primary editing Machine) where the computer will do it automatically on a schedule?

I am considering adding a rMPB to my photo bag for on the go editing, but I still want my desktop to act as the central hub for all photos and backups. If it requires a complex way of constantly moving photos between computers manually I'll likely sell the desktop and spend a bit more on the rMPB.

Any input/insight the community can give would be greatly appreciated.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Here's Adobe's take:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/help/import-photos-various-sources.html

IIRC one little gotcha was that when I do this it would move everything a directory higher on import, so I had to do some adjusting to make sure that all the data folders were at the same level.

I used to export a catalog and use it on the laptop, then import. I don't do that now; I have set up a unique catalog in the laptop and now I copy the RAW and XMP, which holds basically all the info I need to transfer from the laptop. YMMV; there are various ways of doing this. Some just use a big thumbdrive since many newer laptops have limited storage onboard anyway. I think I'll switch to that for my next trip.

I'm not aware of a schedule for doing this, although since they're just files some other file management application like Data Backup from Prosoft could maybe do it. I used that to clone over images for archiving purposes on schedule. Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper might work too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.