Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iModFrenzy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2015
Kamino
So I managed to pick up an iMac 2006, Core 2 Duo 1.83Ghz. This is my first iMac, so I have some questions.

As far as I know this iMac has a upgradable CPU, so I was wondering if I can upgrade to a Core 2 Duo Extreme 3.06ghz.

And next question is the GPU, I have owned a GMA 950 laptop in the past. I haven't got the iMac delivered yet but I would like to know if I could upgrade the GPU.

Thats mostly it.:)

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
So I managed to pick up an iMac 2006, Core 2 Duo 1.83Ghz. This is my first iMac, so I have some questions.

As far as I know this iMac has a upgradable CPU, so I was wondering if I can upgrade to a Core 2 Duo Extreme 3.06ghz.

And next question is the GPU, I have owned a GMA 950 laptop in the past. I haven't got the iMac delivered yet but I would like to know if I could upgrade the GPU.

To be perfectly honest and frank, putting $10 into a near 10 year old computer is $10 too much.

matreya

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
I have to agree, that a 9 year old iMac is not worth spending money on in terms of CPU/GPU upgrades. A Mac that old is limited to something like 6GB of RAM, which is not enough these days.

MindsEye

macrumors regular
May 3, 2010

Its going to be difficult to get a definitive answer in regards to the CPU as we're talking about a near 10 year old machine. My gut feeling is no due to when your iMac was released and the CPU in question, i can't imagine it being compatible with your Logic board.

The GPU will be soldered onto the Logic board so that will not be upgradable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.