Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pcuserx

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2003
Now that the 12" PB has been released. Any hope for a G4 ibook is basically gone. So I ask you this, what do you think will happen to the iBook processor in the next little while:

A) Speedbumps, other than that nothing

B) A dual-G3 Processor

C) A processor between G3 and G4. Something like a PowerPC Mobile.

D) A really watered down low mhz G4

E) IBM Processor

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
Hmm. You think there will be no G4 iBook? Anyone else think this? I'm in the market for an Apple and think that the iBook is outdated (G3 800) and was waiting on an update...or is there not an update??

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
With the exception of the lack of AltiVec, the processor the iBook currently has is very nice, with very low power usage / heat output and a short pipeline. A dual G3 is about as likely as the resurrection of John Lennon, as the G3 (AFAIK) doesn't support SMP. A "processor between the G3 and G4" is highly unlikely as well, as it wouldn't be worth it to engineer. I see the iBook switching to the G4 sometime in 2004 once either a) the PowerBook picks up the PPC 970, or b) the PowerBook gets faster G4s, allowing the iBook to move to the 667/733/800/866/933MHz G4. I do think it will stick with the G3 for a while, though, and will probably see a 1GHz G3 once the PowerBooks improve past 1GHz. The G3 is not outdated - it's a great processor for a general-purpose consumer laptop.

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
you'll never see a dual G3. If I remember correctly, the G3 just doesn't do MP very well. not to mention it would drain the battery faster and create issues with heat probably (the G3 may run pretty cool, but throw two processors in a small enclosure and it at least bears apple thinking about it).

I don't think you'll see any processor in between the G3 and G4.

The G3 already is an IBM processor.

speed bumps most likely, but I think you might see a G4 in there soon enough. Maybe not right away, but it wouldn't really surprised me to see them in there. After all, apple can do enough with the 12 inch powerbook to differentiate it by a few hundred dollars and still make it attractive. They can do things like built in bluetooth, airport extreme, better optical drives, bigger hard drives, more ram, etc, etc that would cost extra or be unavailable on the iBooks to make up the difference. I mean, really you could just think of the 12 inch powerbook as the new incarnation of the iBook special edition. I don't see it encessarily as a barrier to a G4 iBook, but it will probably take a little while longer.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Didn't i read somewhere here that IBM/Apple have a 1GHZ G43, but they didn't want to kill their Powerbook sales...

The shorter pipeline and the less power usage is really the key with sticking with the G3 right now, no real chance of them moving it to the G4.

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
i've heard the g3 has gotten past 1 ghz...more around 1.2 1.3 at least...and i heard that 1/2 a year ago almost...but that they arn't releasing them cause it would hurt pb sales...maybe if they get the pb mhz up then they'll just use that faster g3 processor

Adurbe

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2003
Wales
out of interest what is the percentile speed difference between a G3 @1 gig and a G4 @ a gig?

(i use a gig for easy maths ;) i do appiciate not 1gig g3s are out)

brandon6684

Dec 30, 2002
From what I've heard IBM's G3 is a bettter chip than Motorolla's G4, except it doesn't have Altivec. Maybe the iBook will keep the G3 but IBM will add their own version of altivec.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
Here's how i see it.

The 12"PB could be setting the limit on the ibooks. If they have a newer processor that is faster than the 12"PB then it would hurt its sales and people might not buy it. Unless they limit the processor somehow, maybe not give it any sort of cache!
Also chances are firewire 800 isn't going to be on the new ibooks either because the 12"PB hasn't got it either, again if it did then its gonna hurt 12"PB sales.

SO...

If they do update the iBooks i cannot see them being any better then the 12"PB not unless they make it more expensive and then the consumer line of laptops (iBooks) become more of a lust object than the professional PowerBooks.

But they might put in a G3 900mhz processor and update the batteries for lasting longer and update the FSB and adding DDR RAM but i don't think we shall see FW800 unless through an expansion card. Maybe have BT and AE though.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Originally posted by Adurbe
out of interest what is the percentile speed difference between a G3 @1 gig and a G4 @ a gig?

(i use a gig for easy maths ;) i do appiciate not 1gig g3s are out)

Not sure of the percentage difference but all things being equal and the code being executed not containing Altivec the G3 is likely to be faster than the G4. This ism due to the shorter pipeline imposing a lesser penalty for branches. Unfortunatly Apple do no let all things be equaly. First up is Bus Speed. The G3 (750fx version) supports a 200Mhz bus. The current G4's seem to support up to about 167Mhz. Yet Apple keep the iBook stuck at 100Mhz. So the G4 (in a 12"PB on a 133Mhz Bus) gets a bit of it's advantage back. The G4 also supports L3 cache (not sure about the G3, but Apple never give it any if it does). A G4 with L3 cache gains back even more of an advantage. Unfortunatly I don't think the 12"PB has any L3 cache. The main difference comes from those few apps that really use Altivec. Then the G4 flies away from the G3.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.