Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

evangw

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
Is there any way on the new Health app to track a specific run? Say, for the next hour, keep track of my results? All I get instead is my activity for the day broken up into how far I've run in each 3 minute interval, which means I have to go with a calculator and sum up 20 numbers to see how far I've run for the past hour.

I used a Nike+ iPod years ago and I remember it being a lot more intuitive than this health app... although it's a pretty cool feature to have just built into the new iPhone.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
If you run outdoors, get an app like Endomondo, runtastic, or Nike.

I believe the Nike app will use the accelerometer to track indoor runs.

evangw

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
Thanks, hadn't even thought of looking for other apps. Weird Apple's app doesn't seem to do this, but the Nike one looks like it should work well.

Otherwise my plan was to run first thing in the morning so that the "daily total" was just for my run...

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Key point. The iPhone 6 and 6+ do not support the Nike+ foot pod. It can use the accelerometer, but the say thatnthr phone should be in your hand for maximum accuracy.

Otherwise run outdoors and use the gps. I know that other companies make foot pods that work with Bluetooth, but I've never tried them.

evangw

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
Use Runkeeper. It will track your run and then import the data into the Health app if you want it to.

Awesome, that's a great app. Thanks. It's amazing how much better this is than my Nike+ and 2007 iPod mini.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.