Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmrowley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
Dortches, NC
Hi All,

I recently purchased Carbon Copy Cloner 4, and discovered that it had the option to unmount the target drive after finishing a backup. I enabled it, but the drive does not unmount. I cannot even unmount the drive in Finder without getting a warning that the drive is in use. I have looked through the console logs, and I am not able to figure out what program is preventing the unmounting of the drive. I have the volume excluded from Spotlight, am not running any antivirus, so I am at a loss. I even re-partitioned the drive and started fresh with the clone, and it did not help.

How can I find what program is preventing me from unmounting? Thanks.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I use CCC4 like this and it unmounts my external fine with no special settings. But then mine will also eject in Finder, so sounds like you have something else going on.

Run the command below in Terminal with the real drive name and that will list apps accessing the drive to help you pin down the problem.

Code:
sudo lsof | grep "Drive_Name"

dmrowley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
Dortches, NC
You are the Man, err... the weasel.

I had switched to running "KeepingYouAwake" since Caffeine has no dark mode support, and that was preventing the unmounting.

Looks like I am going back to Caffeine for now...

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.