Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Apple Watch will be available for in store previews and Try-On appointments starting on April 10th. The Apple Watch comes in a variety of sizes, colors, and band-types which can make the decision of how to pick a band and Apple Watch combination complicated.

applewatchtable.jpg
Apple has a number of recommended combinations highlighted on their online store, but also sells bands separately, allowing customers to potentially mix and match between the various Apple Watches and bands. Some combinations could yield a mix of materials that readers feared may not look natural together, such as an aluminum Apple Watch Sport and a stainless steel accented band. The stainless steel Apple Watch is the most cosmetically versatile but carries a $200 premium over the aluminum Apple Watch Sport.

Apple, however, will not allow customers to try arbitrary mix and match options during their Apple Watch Try-On appointments, presumably in the interest of time and simplicity. According to retail training materials MacRumors received, Apple specifically states that they "will not size links or swap bands" at the Try-on table or Try-on cases. Try-on appointments for non-Edition Apple Watches are meant to last only 5-15 minutes. Apple will have 18 specific Apple Watch combinations on display at their Try-On tables and 10 specific combinations at their Try-On cases.

Apple Watch pre-sales and try-on appointments start on April 10th, and the official launch of the Apple Watch is April 24th.

Article Link: Apple Won't Allow Swapping of Bands at Apple Watch 'Try-On' Appointments

JFazYankees

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2012
This might make sense time-wise, but it's huge step in the wrong direction in terms of customer experience.

Velin

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
Just cancel this stupid product. Divert the future billions you will waste to improving OSX, Macs, and iPhone.

levitynyc

macrumors 65816
Aug 19, 2006
This seems like a royal cluster**** waiting to happen.

Oh well. People will still buy them anyway.

YegorH

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2010
Apple never marketed anything such as this gadget. So much buzz about this watch, they are afraid it won't sell well - that's why.

hauntvictim

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2009
Orange County, CA
I like Apple I really do, but all of these "rumors" I'm hearing is just pulling me closer and closer to wanting an Android Wear. It's as if they keep restricting what people may want and aside from normal Apple price gouging.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
This might make sense time-wise, but it's huge step in the wrong direction in terms of customer experience.

How many people will actually want a mismatched watch and band? Who's going to spend $450 on a stainless steel bracelet and pair it with an aluminum watch? I think there's going to be A LOT fewer customers wanting a model that Apple isn't offering. And I think these mismatched combinations are going to look a lot worse than people think. There's a reason Apple chose the models they did.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States

Big deal. Apple CAN afford to annoy a few anal customers. Not sticking up for them (cuz Lord knows this forum expects everybody to side against Apple for everything), just stating the truth. Besides this is only during the launch period. It's not a big deal if the customer can't swap bands.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I like Apple I really do, but all of these "rumors" I'm hearing is just pulling me closer and closer to wanting an Android Wear. It's as if they keep restricting what people may want and aside from normal Apple price gouging.

What do you want that Apple is not offering? It seems to me most of these comments are just a knee-jerk reaction to the rumor that Apple won't allow something. And if you're so concerned about price gouging get the cheapest Sport or SS watch and wait for third party bands.

Cape Dave

Contributor
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast
Just cancel this stupid product. Divert the future billions you will waste to improving OSX, Macs, and iPhone.

A Freaking Men! I mean really. How does this item increase productivity at all? It is so darn big and ugly and will keep chiropractor is business forever due to lean from the weight.

USELESS. And we all know it.

JFazYankees

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2012
Big deal. Apple CAN afford to annoy a few anal customers. Not sticking up for them (cuz Lord knows this forum expects everybody to side against Apple for everything), just stating the truth. Besides this is only during the launch period. It's not a big deal if the customer can't swap bands.

It is a big deal when Apple has continuously emphasized the ease of swapping bands.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States

Just get the Android wear and be done with it. Apple sure won't take a loss from your non-sale. :)

FlatCable

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2015

I'm convinced you are switching platforms to get a different watch just because of this.

Also... How many minutes can you try Android Wear watches?

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

If you look at the try-on tabel it's laid out based on the models Apple is selling in each collection. It only makes sense those are the combinations you'll get to try on. To me this is much ado about nothing. The only combination Apple isn't offering that seems a bit odd is the silver Sport watch with black Sport band. But I doubt someone would need to try it on to know whether they want it or not.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
It is a big deal when Apple has continuously emphasized the ease of swapping bands.

You're missing the point. Apple set these appointments up simply as a courtesy because they know it will be a big crowd of customers swarming the stores to buy one. They appointments are only 15 minutes. Have you ever worked in retail? Customers take much longer than necessary. Allowing them to switch bands will slow everything down and other customers will get pissed. Some control has to take place.

FlatCable

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2015

Right, because you are the sales expert number one.

Because Apple Store employees not having enough time for all costumers that marked an appointment wouldn't be a problem.

Now people more than 15 minutes deciding between two watches that look identical... that will kill Apple!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.