Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zeebedy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2011
Scotland, UK
Hey guys,

can someone please explain and list what exactly I need to setup BT 4.0 on my MP to use the features found in Yosemite. I have had a look on the bay but don't really know what I'm looking for!

RTJ

Zeebedy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2011
Scotland, UK
thank you!

RTJ

----------

keeping thing simple, would this not work "plug and play"?

(ebay no. - 221684056140 )

RTJ

Zeebedy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2011
Scotland, UK
I tried the other path, removed my factory WiFi and BT cards and installed those two:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191029765954

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390968179409

I am not sure if this item will work, and also, wonder why you should sacrifice a PCI port for something that fits elsewhere?

I hope this helps.

cheers for the swift reply, did this work for you then yeah? so i buy the card, slot it into the adapter and then the adapter goes where my current BT / WIFI card is (at the bottom of the board) am i correct?

RTJ

VAGDesign

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2014
Greece
Yes, you remove both of the cards you have, and you install the adapter with the new card attached to the WiFi slot. Old BT card slot will be empty. Then you connect the wires with the order discribed on the other post I posted earlier and you are done. If you are on a Mac Pro 4,1/5,1 with this adapter you will be able to connect also an extra cable (included on the adapter item package I linked) to a USB port internally cause it's required.

I am on a Mac Pro 2,1 and don't know where exactly to connect this. Someone else will show you I am sure :)

When all these are done, you're good to go!

Zeebedy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2011
Scotland, UK
hey people,

regurgitating a few points for clarification - this process is beyond me, and wondering if this WILL or WILL NOT work.

(ebay item no. - 291379758694) and buying the BT / WIFI card to slot into this, if i disconnect my current BT and WIFI cards, then install this will it give me full WIFI and BT capabilities for yosemite features? Cheers guys!

RTJ

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Yeah, but what did you have to do to get connected all together, remove all the mac pro innards?

RTJ

No, just slide out the main tray. No screws or fasteners. Take the side panel off and slide it right out. There are instructions w/pictures on the website. Takes about 15min to install for a first timer.

Zeebedy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2011
Scotland, UK
No, just slide out the main tray. No screws or fasteners. Take the side panel off and slide it right out. There are instructions w/pictures on the website. Takes about 15min to install for a first timer.

Just read through, looks good, is there any other way of obtaining this kit in the UK as its out of stock on the website :mad:

RTJ

DougTheImpaler

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2006
Central Illinois
I bought this along with the Bluetooth antenna extension cable. The USB part is plugged into the internal header on my USB 3.0 card (had to get an adapter to turn it into 2x USB 3.0 ports, then the cable plugged into one of the ports).

http://www.osxwifi.com/apple-broadc...-with-adapter-for-macpro-2009-and-macpro-2010

Which is basically the same thing that VAGDesign linked, except for the 4-pin to USB cable, and my bluetooth extension.

It works really well, doesn't even need a Handoff/Continuity enabler app so no patched kexts.

VAGDesign

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2014
Greece
This item is the same with the one I linked earlier.
eBay has the same products in logical prices, sometimes I don't get
the 100% overprice from suppliers who buy the products from an eBay source as the rest of us...

It's not rocket science, it's plug and play. It's not a patent to ask for extra charge for the hard work... It is called rip-off in my book.

DougTheImpaler

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2006
Central Illinois
hey guys,

would this not be the equivalent? (eBay code - 251754210499)

RTJ

Actually, that one looks less like the other eBay options, and more like the one MVC does. They claim that in a 4,1 you don't have to run cables outside the system, so the only option is that it plugs into the BT header on the backplane - and the only source for that until now had been (as far as I know) MVC. Sometimes. Because making those cables is time-and-labor intensive.

AIkatraz

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2015
Houston, TX
Actually, that one looks less like the other eBay options, and more like the one MVC does. They claim that in a 4,1 you don't have to run cables outside the system, so the only option is that it plugs into the BT header on the backplane - and the only source for that until now had been (as far as I know) MVC. Sometimes. Because making those cables is time-and-labor intensive.

From what I can gather from the pictures, the only difference is the USB wire that goes from the adapter to the USB slot. MVC solders the wire into the adapter which connects to the original BT USB slot, eBay has a custom USB built into the adapter but the wire doesn't connect to the original BT slot but either internally/externally depending on availability of ports, and osxwifi seems to have built on the adapter some sort of way to avoid the soldering but instead use the top wire shown on the site to connect to the original BT slot.

Perhaps someone can shed some more light on this and correct me if I am wrong?

Zeebedy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2011
Scotland, UK
Hey guys,

bit the bullet and purchased this, hopefully won't take too long to arrive from China! Cheers again for the help everyone!

RTJ

Zeebedy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2011
Scotland, UK
Just checked the progress of my order, and apparently its in the UK already :eek:

When installing my new processor, I'm sure I had a quick peek at my wi-fi card and could only see TWO gold connectors as apposed to THREE as I'm sure is meant to be???

RTJ

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Just checked the progress of my order, and apparently its in the UK already :eek:

When installing my new processor, I'm sure I had a quick peek at my wi-fi card and could only see TWO gold connectors as apposed to THREE as I'm sure is meant to be???

RTJ

The other wire is under your current Airport card. When you remove it you will find the 3rd wire.

Zeebedy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2011
Scotland, UK
hi guys,

big problem, today i received my BT 4.0 kit, but on installing i have pulled off the connector that comes from the right hand side on the end of the bluetooth cable. so now the cable from the BT card has no pin to connect too.

what I'm wondering is if i bought some electrical tape, could i not join the two wires and then put electrical tape around as this would still give them a connection together?

cheers, RTJ

Zeebedy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2011
Scotland, UK
hey guys,

sent the mac back to where i bought from, have been offered a great repair price including p+p so pleased with that.

will get my msata raid 0 setup when its back and thin that will be me for a while :D

RTJ

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.