Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Chinese parts supplier Future Supplier (via Nowhereelse.fr) has posted leaked images of what it believes could be the rear shell for the so-called "iPhone 6c." The rear housing looks similar to the plastic iPhone 5c, with two notable differences being a pill-shaped LED flash cutout and two rows of speaker grilles on the bottom of the smartphone. The size of the rear shell indicates that the device's screen size could fall within the 4-inch range.

iPhone-6c-Rear.jpg
The pill-shaped LED flash design and two rows of speaker grilles are also found on the iPhone 5s, indicating that the iPhone 6c could have the same internals as the two-generation-old smartphone with a plastic shell. The smartphone would likely be positioned at the low end of the iPhone lineup as Apple's free smartphone, alongside the iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus and next-generation iPhones released later this year.

iPhone-6c-Rear-Bottom-800x600.jpg
Apple did not refresh the iPhone 5c when it launched the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus last year, leading to speculation that the plastic smartphone might be discontinued from the smartphone lineup. Last week, however, it was reported that Apple is planning to release three new iPhones later this year, including the iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus and 4-inch iPhone 6c.

Article Link: Leaked Images Provide First Look at Purported Rear Shell of 'iPhone 6c'

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Ugly color, but its a nice move, glad to see apple adding a 6c to the line up. I do miss my iPhone 5c.

soco

macrumors 68030
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
I'll say it again for this as I did with the 5: I wish these casings were available for the same internals we have with the real 6 and 6+.

Candy-like or not, they look nice. :)

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
Interesting about the camera being flush with the housing. Either they've solved a problem to reduce thickness or are backing-off the camera in this model.

I won't be surprised to see the camera on the 6S/6S Plus return to being flush again.

Edit: I just realized that the 6C will use the internals from the 5S, meaning no real change in camera specs. The bump won't be an issue for the C line until next year at the current schedule. My thought still stands on 6S camera bump, though.

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
Well, this should make all the 4" phone lovers happy- except they wanted more updated specs. I seriously doubt that will happen. This makes sense to use 5S internals - I hope it starts at 32Gb.

I wonder if there will be any color changes.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
As much as I like the feel of the "C" models, there is no space in the current product line for this.

I disagree - small iPhone, "normal" size iPhone and huge iPhone. I know people with 4s's that haven't upgraded because of the size of the iPhone 6.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
I don't doubt that some people will want a smaller phone if the watch takes off. That said I really wish they would cut down on the bezel rather than going with basically the same size body as the 5C, or if they keep the same bezel then shrink the internals and increase the battery size

Sean4123

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2009
Well, this should make all the 4" phone lovers happy- except they wanted more updated specs. I seriously doubt that will happen. This makes sense to use 5S internals - I hope it starts at 32Gb.

If they're using the 5S internals, why not just buy a 5S now if you're waiting on this? They're both 4 inch phones but one uses quality materials like aluminum. So silly.

William Gates

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
Paging Four oF NINE

I know it's just a leaked image, but this leads credence to my theory. The '6C' will have 5S internals and be $0 on contract.

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014

I hope it comes with some decent storage options too.

Unless they pull a MacMini on us, the upgrades should go beyond just putting 5S internals into a 6C model. Because, besides the processor and touch ID, the internal specs of the 5S and 5C models are already fairly similar.

I like my 5C. If the 6C doesn't have a camera upgrade, I'm not buying.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
If the 6c is basically a 6 with a plastic shell, I don't see it selling very well...

But if it's actually better, in some incredible way, I might be tempted to upgrade. I wonder if there will be a 6c+ or 6+c in plastic...

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
Hooray! Rumors with PICTURES! This is what makes the internet fun.
^^
not sarcasm

Now what about iPhone 6? What are they going to do about that? Frankenstein the 6 and the 5s together to create what's in the picture? (flash from 5s and chips from 6 for apple pay for example?)

But of course, what would be free?....... eh.

Last edited:

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
If the 6c is basically a 6 with a plastic shell, I don't see it selling very well...

But if it's actually better, in some incredible way, I might be tempted to upgrade. I wonder if there will be a 6c+ or 6+c in plastic...

I think the 6c will more be like the iPhone 5 and be 4in with upgraded internals.

Going forward taht would make sense

6s+ = 5.5in
6s = 4.7in
6c = 4.0in

gjveltink

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2013
I disagree - small iPhone, "normal" size iPhone and huge iPhone. I know people with 4s's that haven't upgraded because of the size of the iPhone 6.

Exactly!

I still hold on to my 4s as the iPhone 6 is too large for my taste!
Nevertheless, I would like to have updated hardware and a metal casing and I am willing to pay for it.
Still hoping that Apple will realize that a 4" phone is a viable product!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.