Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fireblade

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Italy
Hmmm I hope this isn't true, mainly because it's GPU which is only 30% faster than the GPU from the G3.

At the other side the 808 could be faster than the 810 because of producing less heat, which means less throttling.

iphonedude2008

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2009
Irvine, CA
I doubt thats true. LG wants to be the #3 smartphone vendor, so they are not going to release a phone with inferior specs to their rivals.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
Hmmm I hope this isn't true, mainly because it's GPU which is only 30% faster than the GPU from the G3.

At the other side the 808 could be faster than the 810 because of producing less heat, which means less throttling.
Thats what I was thinking when I read the article. It might seem like a minus but in the end it might end up with better performance if there is throttling due to heat on the 810.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
LG teases April 28 reveal for leather-covered G4 flagship

LG Electronics is expected to introduce its next high-end smartphone on April 28, and has hinted that the back of the device will be covered in leather.

In the light of the growing focus on looks at the recent Mobile World Congress, it wouldn’t be surprising if LG uses better materials for the successor to the G3, which is expected to be called the G4. The invite for April 28 that the company sent out on Tuesday just said “save the date” and “see the Great”, but the text is written over a leather back with stitching on one side.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2904...-smartphone-at-april-28-event.html#tk.rss_all

Fireblade

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Italy
Leather covered is just a rumor because of the invite, anyways I really hope it wont feature such an awful backcover...

7a70d0476e5e1396858ad18073dfa6b7.jpg

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
Leather covered is just a rumor because of the invite, anyways I really hope it wont feature such an awful backcover...

That leather cover would be really awful. I can't see them doing that! The G4 has kinda slid under the radar after the M9 and S6 releases. Hope LG has a winner.

Fireblade

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Italy
That leather cover would be really awful. I can't see them doing that! The G4 has kinda slid under the radar after the M9 and S6 releases. Hope LG has a winner.
Agreed, the G4 is the device I am waiting for, hopefully they do it right.
Right, their release-date is a bit unlucky I think, they should show us what they got before the M9 and S6 starts shipping, otherwise everyone and their mother will have a M9 or S6, and the rest will wait till autumn for the new iPhones.

Fireblade

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Italy
jamezr I am really concerned , because lately conspicuous often I have to agree with you

Fireblade

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Italy
Seems the G4 will get a new 5,5" display, which is great, as this is the sweet spot for me.
And with LG's small bezels the device won't get too big - can't wait for the announcement...

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
Seems the G4 will get a new 5,5" display, which is great, as this is the sweet spot for me.
And with LG's small bezels the device won't get too big - can't wait for the announcement...
It should be a very nice phone!

The new 5.5-inch LCD display packs a 1440 x 2560 resolution with 538 PPI, and LG claims it displays more accurate colors thanks to a 120% color gamut. Additionally, LG says it has employed AIT (advanced in-cell touch) technology to bring increased touch sensitivity to the panel, as well as some other improvements such as a higher contrast ratio and brightness when compared to "conventional" QHD LCD panels.

While LG doesn't call out the G4 by name, it does mention that the display is set to make an appearance in an upcoming flagship device, which is hard to misconstrue as anything other than the G4. In any event, we're sure to know more after LG's upcoming April 28 event.

http://www.androidcentral.com/lg-announces-new-55-inch-qhd-display-likely-appear-upcoming-g4

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
This will be my next phone. Absolutely love my g3 so I may as well stick with lg.

I am slowly coming to this conclusion too.

Basically, it's get an iPhone 6, stick to my G3 or get the G4 if it is reasonably priced.

I actually really like my G3.

bean dip

macrumors member
May 2, 2013
I am slowly coming to this conclusion too.

Basically, it's get an iPhone 6, stick to my G3 or get the G4 if it is reasonably priced.

I actually really like my G3.

I traded the 6+ in for a 6 because I have a g3 as well. I know it's not feasible because of the home button, but if apple could of got close to the size of the g3 I would still have that 6+. Perfect size for me.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
I traded the 6+ in for a 6 because I have a g3 as well. I know it's not feasible because of the home button, but if apple could of got close to the size of the g3 I would still have that 6+. Perfect size for me.

Yeah I thought about the 6+ but every single person I know in real life who has one just says it's too big and they regret getting it.

Then I show them my G3 and they are like "Oooooh that's the perfect size".

So that tells me enough, really. I just hope the price for the G4 is decent, like the G3 was last year.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I like that LG is stepping up to compete. It can't just be Apple and Samsung pushing each other. I'm looking forward to G4 details.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
I like that LG is stepping up to compete. It can't just be Apple and Samsung pushing each other. I'm looking forward to G4 details.

It would be nice if there were more horses in the race to keep things competitive. Since HTC didn't bring their A game this time around....pulling for LG to hit a home run.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
It would be nice if there were more horses in the race to keep things competitive. Since HTC didn't bring their A game this time around....pulling for LG to hit a home run.

Exactly. From my point of view, it breaks down more or less like this...

Top spots: Apple, Samsung.

Second tier is a fight between: LG, HTC, Motorola, Sony. Of this group, LG has the best chance and resources to join Apple/Samsung.

Third tier: OnePlus, Xiaomi, Huwai, Blu, etc. Aka the rest of them. ;)

Are there other players?

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
Exactly. From my point of view, it breaks down more or less like this...

Top spots: Apple, Samsung.

Second tier is a fight between: LG, HTC, Motorola, Sony. Of this group, LG has the best chance and resources to join Apple/Samsung.

Third tier: OnePlus, Xiaomi, Huwai, Blu, etc. Aka the rest of them. ;)

Are there other players?

nope think you summed it up rather well! :)

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Right now, I think perhaps:

G4 + G Watch Urbane = Winning Formula

I really like how LG are teasing it, and I'm getting more and more interested week by week.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.