Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rye9

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)
You mean you want to make a plain piece of white paper and print ink on the whole sheet? If that's the case, you can't. You can only color in paragraphs, shapes, text boxes, tables, etc.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
rye9 said:
You mean you want to make a plain piece of white paper and print ink on the whole sheet?

Im not actually going to be printing anything. Its going to become a PDF. It'll be about 30 pages and full of images, no one will be printing it ;)

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
You could put a rectangle on the page, stretch it out to the edges, color to suit, and send it to the back. . .

rye9

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)
yg17 said:
Im not actually going to be printing anything. Its going to become a PDF. It'll be about 30 pages and full of images, no one will be printing it ;)

Im new to Macs so if Im wrong, dont get on my case. :D But, could you use keynote to make a PDF? I think in Keynote you can color a whole background. But like I said, I could be wrong and Ive never used Keynote before, but that would be my guess from using a Mac for 4 months.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Actually, the color-filled box solution will work. Just drag it out the corners of the page. Use Preview to verify. Then define a master page with the colored background page and add that page as many times as you need. Should work fine. The Keynote solution works too, but you'll have to create a custom page size, which could be awkward, depending on what you need.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
IJ Reilly said:
Actually, the color-filled box solution will work. Just drag it out the corners of the page. Use Preview to verify. Then define a master page with the colored background page and add that page as many times as you need. Should work fine. The Keynote solution works too, but you'll have to create a custom page size, which could be awkward, depending on what you need.

Yep, after playing with it, I got it to work out. I'm a complete n00b to Pages

AndrewSolesbury

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2011
The easiest way to do it is to select the object which you put in the background and click format>advanced>move object to section master. This will then put it on every page in that section automatically.

In addition, if you have already choose to make the first page different in the inspector then this will stay blank, allowing you to put another image there for a front cover.

This also gives you the option of putting different backgrounds on different sections within your document.

sanyp

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2012
Trying to follow these directions

Trying to put a background color in my Pages document, but when following these directions the background blocks my page number in the header. I think Arrange > Send Object to Background might help but it is disabled.

randomnames

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2013
i have tried putting an object in the backround but this isn't a good solution because then i cannot write in the document

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Wow, I'm trying to remember WTF I would've been doing 7 years ago that required a colored background and coming up empty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.