Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

os_x_yosemite_round_icon.jpg
Apple today seeded a new beta of OS X Yosemite to developers and public beta testers, a week after seeding the fifth OS X Yosemite beta and almost two months after releasing the first OS X 10.10.3 beta.

The new beta, build 14D127a, is available for registered developers through the Software Update mechanism in the Mac App Store and through the Mac Developer Center. OS X Yosemite Recovery Update 1.0 is also available, improving the reliability of Yosemite Recovery when restoring from a Time Machine backup.

OS X 10.10.3 includes several new features, like the Photos for OS X app. Designed to integrate with iCloud Photo Library and the Photos app on iOS, the Photos for OS X app is a replacement for both iPhoto and Aperture. Reviews have suggested that while Photos is a suitable replacement for iPhoto, with more advanced tools and performance optimizations, it may leave professional users disappointed in its initial incarnation.

Along with the new Photos for OS X app, earlier OS X 10.10.3 betas have introduced a redesigned emoji picker that consolidates emoji into a single scrollable page with clear labels, new diversified emoji and emoji skin tone modifiers, new flag emoji and updated emoji for the iPhone, iMac, and Apple Watch, and support for Google 2-step verification when setting up accounts in System Preferences.

With the fifth OS X 10.10.3 beta, there were just two minor bug fixes to the OS X Photos app, and today's update likely includes similar small changes. Given that we're on the sixth beta, OS X 10.10.3 is undoubtedly getting close to completion and we may see a public release of the software in the near future.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Sixth OS X 10.10.3 Yosemite Beta to Developers, Public Beta Testers

ttss6

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2014
California
So is it likely then that OS X 10.10.3 will be released with the new MacBooks and iOS 8.3 with the Apple Watch?

AllergyDoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2013
Utah, USA
Hope it fixes my not being able to make or receive phone calls on my rMBP. Otherwise I'm pretty happy with the last beta. Look Up is sharp and being able to see a preview of a web page in an email is back.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Glad to see that Public Beta is getting the same builds at the same time as developers. If only this would fix my slow WiFi problem.

PJWilkin

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
Hope it fixes my not being able to make or receive phone calls on my rMBP. Otherwise I'm pretty happy with the last beta. Look Up is sharp and being able to see a preview of a web page in an email is back.

I had this issue with the normal release, I had to logout of FaceTime and back in, and it worked

I once had the issue with iMessage not performing forwarding to Mac, the easy fix was to logout of iCloud via System Settings, and log back in

DougTheImpaler

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2006
Central Illinois

Yeah, same problem I think - is it telling you that you have to be logged into the same iCloud or Apple ID on both FaceTime and iCloud? Even tho I am, I can't turn on iPhone cellular calls. Haven't been able to since 10.10.2, issue starting in the first public beta.

AllergyDoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2013
Utah, USA
I had this issue with the normal release, I had to logout of FaceTime and back in, and it worked

I once had the issue with iMessage not performing forwarding to Mac, the easy fix was to logout of iCloud via System Settings, and log back in

Done all that, reset stuff on my iPhone, to no avail. It worked through 3 betas ago, then was broke. Not a biggie, but annoying.

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
There were so many Finder bugs in the last beta. The most annoying one was that the sidebar would get hidden if you ejected a disk image. Hopefully they fixed that this time around.

TP18

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2015
[Serious] Can somebody explain to me following: OS X Yosemite Recovery Update 3.0 was released a week ago.. Now comes Yosemite Recovery Update 1.0 How does this make sense.

Or what is the difference between Yosemite Recovery Update 3.0 and OS X Yosemite Recovery Update 1.0.

SvP

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2009
There were so many Finder bugs in the last beta. The most annoying one was that the sidebar would get hidden if you ejected a disk image. Hopefully they fixed that this time around.

Yes, me too! And coincidentally my harddisk crashed (hardware failure) so i had to reinstall on an ssd, did a clean install, and had the bug. Then i reverted to a backup, and the bug was till there.

Not very annoying, just a little :p

On the upside: wifi works like a charm!

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
I have the following issue with 10.10.2 : Once I turn on bluetooth my internet connection over wifi breaks or gets unusable slow.

Kind of is really an issue because I use an external keyboard and mouse with my 13" MBP and a Cinema Display. So at the moment the big screen is unused.

This bug is very reproducible.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Or one for Mail.app? So tired of it expanding in memory footprint, or pinwheeling for 20 minutes when I log in after auto-lock.

Never had it pinwheel... But Safari. On all my three Macs, 2014 RiMac included, Safari constantly pinwheels for a minute or two when I use another app for a while and gets back to Safari. Especially annoying when watching videos, since the audio will be out of sync with the video. I forget which stays at the pinwheel stop and which skips as if it hadn't pinwheeled afterwards, but that's the behaviour.

Explorz

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008

Glad it is not just me. This means that others have submitted feedback about this significant problem.

----------

I've logged in and out of FaceTime and iCloud so many times and it has yet to fix the issue. Just keeps telling me that both FaceTime and iCloud need to be logged in to the same account. Which of course, they are. I wish just logging in and out would fix it.

Suspended
Jul 18, 2011
Never had a single wifi issue until the last week. I was wondering what everyone else was going on about. But the last beta screwed up my wifi on my MBP Mid-2010. Let's hope this one puts it back to how it was before or fixes it!

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
My issue is where when my phone gets an upgrade, Photos shows an album that says Events from my Mac. I did import from iPhoto, but iPhoto doesn't exist on my machine anymore nor does the photo database. It puts recently deleted at the bottom of my albums. I have to un-sync my photos and then re-sync it and it's arranged right.

Not sure if that's an iOS issue or Photos issue together.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008

Same here.

Still not really satisfied with Photos either, there are still too many unresolved issues to make it a near-spotless release. Photo Stream sometimes disappears, fullscreen mode is not retained upon relaunch, face detection is not working correctly anymore (since last beta), still too many design shortcomings: very limited drag and drop (e.g. when you want to drag pictures to another app, you need to use the share or export options instead), lacking batch tools for renaming or changing data other than dates (e.g. titles, tags or descriptions). Also the edit mode is a bit tedious if you want to edit multiple pictures, you have to do it one by one. Overall, it just misses that spark of a good Mac app that surprises you with it (subtle) feature-richness.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.