Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

domdevine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2015
received message that announce my account has been blocked because my card is expired. See the correspondence below. The apple support link is authentic, but when one clicks on the renew now button, you are brought to site which asks for CC, Name, Birthdate, and SS#. That of course was a red flag, but hadn't noticed the URL was not secured until i'd already started to fill it out. So, just a heads up for us all.

Dear Customer,

During our security check your bank information result to be missing,incomplete or expired. Your account and all services linked will be blocked because of the policy we have for the safety and integrity of Apple Comunity.

You can renew your bank information in next 72 hours following the link below:

Renew Now

Failure to renew your information will result in your account being permanently deleted.

This is an automatic email, please do not reply.

For more information, see our frequently asked questions
Thanks,
Apple Customer Support

Attachments

• fake.pdf
    40.7 KB · Views: 156

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Who the **** would click a link given the langauge, typos and grammatical errors?

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
My policy is to NEVER click on links via email when it comes to anything that can compromise my personal information. Go directly to Apple, Paypal, your banks. etc. I get these kind of emails every once in a while as I'm sure many of you have.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
My policy is to NEVER click on links via email when it comes to anything that can compromise my personal information. Go directly to Apple, Paypal, your banks. etc. I get these kind of emails every once in a while as I'm sure many of you have.

Yes, I do.

In my Windows days, I used to get the mad stuff from Nigeria.

However, even now, on my lovely Apple, I get - at least every two or three weeks, - a similar email that purports to come from a bank in the US, asking me to confirm my account details in order to verify my account, or - alternatively - asking me to log in and confirm the sum of money resting therein, which is mentioned. Sometimes, the tone employed is quite preemptory,….

Now, while they do manage to get the version of my name (initials only) that appears on an email address I have had for over a decade correct, what is a source of great mystery to me is the fact that I seem have a US bank account at all……….this is because I have never visited the US, and never worked there…….and so never had a need for a US bank account…..

And I receive the phone calls from 'Microsoft support', in a lovely lilting accent from the Indian sub-continent, and very, very pushy they are too…..

The only difficulty is that I haven't had a Microsoft computer for the best part of a decade….

Most important of all is the fact that I am a fully fledged and paid up member of the grammar police…..

Last edited:

Learylvr.

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2011
iTunes Account Blocked SCAM alert

And no proper salutation, just dear customer, all red flags.

Lol, that's exactly what I was wondering! [emoji16

I was referring to all the spelling errors... Major read flag.

senseless

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA

Some legit emails (including Ebay) have clickable links in them. It might be a safer policy to tell customers to type in the link themselves, rather than get used to this kind of thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.