Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pnewelljr

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2013
I am having trouble finding any cases for the new Macbook. Does anyone know of any that have been announced yet?

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
I am having trouble finding any cases for the new Macbook. Does anyone know of any that have been announced yet?

These are the ones I've seen.

http://www.sfbags.com/collections/macbook-cases

http://www.cocones.com/products/macbook-12-air-11-13-pro-13-15-retina-sleeve-case-grey-black

http://www.tombihn.com/laptop-bags/TB0350.html

Out of those, I like the Tom Bihn one and might pick it up. I'm sure there are more companies who already have 12" rMB cases up for pre-order.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I have been using one of the SFBags / Waterfield Designs sleeves (with flap) for my rMBP for about a year. I absolutely love it. My wife has one for her Sony Vaio Pro and feels the same. I have one of these in the mail to me for the rMB - will probably be here before the computer is available. :)

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
huh, had not seen these.

the cocones looks nice; the sfbags...aren't those for previous macbooks? (and airs, and pros?).

anyway, we'll see a lot more choices over the next few weeks...

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
huh, had not seen these.

the cocones looks nice; the sfbags...aren't those for previous macbooks? (and airs, and pros?).

No, they have cases specific to the size of the new MacBook up for pre-order.

rajivhifi

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2014
sfbags

I second the sfbags. I have one for my work rMBP and will be getting one for the rMB as well. They are absolutely gorgeous and sturdy solid leather/canvas designs.

They have already added the new rMB options to the size options.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
huh, had not seen these.

SFBags has (and is shipping starting today) a version for the new rMB.

I have pretty much confined my computer gear purchases to Tom Bihn and Waterfield Design (SFBags). Bihn has a broader product line and some superior bags, but for dedicated carry options I like Waterfield better (unless you're planning to drop your computer out of a plane at 12k feet, in which case the Braincell has no equal).

----------

By the way, for the record, the OP and I are no relation whatsoever (as far as I know). :D

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
SFBags has (and is shipping starting today) a version for the new rMB.

I have pretty much confined my computer gear purchases to Tom Bihn and Waterfield Design (SFBags). Bihn has a broader product line and some superior bags, but for dedicated carry options I like Waterfield better (unless you're planning to drop your computer out of a plane at 12k feet, in which case the Braincell has no equal).

----------

By the way, for the record, the OP and I are no relation whatsoever (as far as I know). :D

Do you know of any other places that make bags for Macs? I haven't had anything Tom Bihn before, but I like the looks of their Cache sleeve more. But I agree that SFBags has always had more carrying options.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
I have been using one of the SFBags / Waterfield Designs sleeves (with flap) for my rMBP for about a year. I absolutely love it. My wife has one for her Sony Vaio Pro and feels the same. I have one of these in the mail to me for the rMB - will probably be here before the computer is available. :)

So you ordered already? Nice. I want to order a case and stuff soon.

squirrrl

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2013
San Diego, CA
Do you know of any other places that make bags for Macs? I haven't had anything Tom Bihn before, but I like the looks of their Cache sleeve more. But I agree that SFBags has always had more carrying options.

I still use an old brenthaven bag I bought for my mac almost 7 years ago. They still make pretty nice cases and are a bit cheaper than SFBags. I looked on their website, and they don't yet have one for the rMB, but I'm sure they'll have a few soon.

ruhollah glare

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2015
Tom Bihn won't be available till late Apr. Sure wish they put more into it, by tapering the case to conform with the MB. Oh well.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
Tom Bihn won't be available till late Apr. Sure wish they put more into it, by tapering the case to conform with the MB. Oh well.

Late April isn't a big deal. Also, are there any other cases that taper it? I've never seen that even with the Air.

ruhollah glare

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2015
Late April isn't a big deal. Also, are there any other cases that taper it? I've never seen that even with the Air.

Haven't seen tapered cases for the Air either, but I think the MB is worth it.

If the MB doesn't come off too flimsy-like, I can see carrying it naked in my Chrome Bravo backpack, that has one of the better notebook pouches I've seen. I'd be surprised if the Apple Store wouldn't have something by Incase at release time. The Apple Store nearby pretty much only carries Incase these days.

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
Id be looking for something like the plastic shell protectors they make for the air...

TP031-8.jpg

bibyfok

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2012
France
The rMB as superthin might be super bendable, especially in my cabin luguage. So i'm looking for a hardshell sleeve. Found the Hard Candy for MBA11 but I would prefere a side open so I can get it easiely.

-----

Same here, have a smooth one for my MacBook Air and will go for a smooth one again, just emailed them if they can make the limited for the rMB.

Could you please show us some picture on how they are aging? As I had a similar case (from a noname) and it became super loose and would not fit securely the computer anymore...

Last edited:

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
So you ordered already? Nice. I want to order a case and stuff soon.

Yup!

Those are the only two places I've purchased from in the last ten years or so.

Id be looking for something like the plastic shell protectors they make for the air...

TP031-8.jpg

I think I recall people posting that they had dust/grit/etc. getting trapped between the plastic and the aluminum, which resulted in a lot of small scratches.

Last edited:

OzyOly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2009
I'd like a booq viper case for the 12" macbook. It's magnetic so no zippers to scratch the case plus it's great for leaving in a bag and extracting the macbook.

bibyfok

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2012
France
I'd like a booq viper case for the 12" macbook. It's magnetic so no zippers to scratch the case plus it's great for leaving in a bag and extracting the macbook.

This is EXACTLY what i'm looking for:
Semi rigid, snugg fit, top open, not expensive!
Let's hope they are making one for it as the 11' version is too narrow for the 12' rMB.

No-Me

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
Rotterdam
Could you please show us some picture on how they are aging? As I had a similar case (from a noname) and it became super loose and would not fit securely the computer anymore...
No worries there at all! After a couple of years of use it's still a good fit. I remember that it was quite tight in the beginning, but it stretched so that my MBA doesn't fall out when I hold it upside down. I'll try to make a picture tonight.

hulkki

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
This is EXACTLY what i'm looking for:
Semi rigid, snugg fit, top open, not expensive!
Let's hope they are making one for it as the 11' version is too narrow for the 12' rMB.

Really interested about this Viper case too. Hope they make version for 12" Macbook soon. Size difference to 11" Air isn't big, but I guess enough with this kind of case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.