Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

catalyst07

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2013
With the new Retina Macbook being lighter than the MBA, I hear a lot of people talking about how the Air no longer has a place in the product lineup. Here's the deal:

I think people confuse the "Air" designation as meaning weight.

I think "Air" is meant as a stripped-down version– no dedicated graphics, fewer ports, etc. Similar to the impression you get from the word "Lite" instead of the full version.

In this sense, "Air" serves the lineup as their low-cost ultra-portable machine.

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
With the new Retina Macbook being lighter than the MBA, I hear a lot of people talking about how the Air no longer has a place in the product lineup. Here's the deal:

I think "Air" is meant as a stripped-down version– no dedicated graphics, fewer ports, etc. Similar to the impression you get from the word "Lite" instead of the full version.

In this sense, "Air" serves the lineup as their low-cost ultra-portable machine.

Disagree. The Air was introduced by pulling it out of a manila envelope. The focus was clearly size.

There's also the iPad Air which isn't a stripped down version of anything, it's the flagship model of iPad, and it's much thinner and lighter than its predecessor.

The Air designation clearly refers to size and weight, and since the new MacBook is now smaller and lighter, I think the writing is on the wall for the Air.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012

I saw Jobs 2008 keynote, like 10x. I don't think I'm dense, but he clearly meant light!

But OK, they are running a business like everybody else and are now pushing a different message?

All I know is, since they used "Air" for the iPad, AIR has lost it cache for me. My Air is nothing special. :(

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
I love my Air, I really do. But I realize that the Air's days in Apple's line are numbered. The 13" may stick around for longer if they can get the price down to $699/799, much like the 13" non-retina "Pro". But I think as soon as the new MacBook can be priced sub-$1000 (that is, $999) the Air will be dropped. Not saying this will happen next year. I think maybe 2 years may be a little soon, but I think in 3 years it's likely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.