Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ventuss

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 9, 2011
I have a 2013 iMac with an SSD. I can't go back using an HDD, but that's just me, some people just don't complain about things they never heard of, so...

I need to buy an iMac for the living room. My niece wants to be able to play games like The Sims 4, Hearthstone, and other basic stuff. But she is picky about native resolution graphics.

My family is not used to an SSD. We always had an iMac in the living room and a Macbook Pro wondering around the house. Problem is, I have a budget and I want to go for the 21.5" Iris Pro + 256 SSD. Kids want the 750m over SSD.

1. Anyone here has the standard iMac with a normal HDD? Is it really bad for non heavy usage like web browsing and basic Apple apps like iPhotos and iMovies?

2. What about the Iris Pro? Is it okay for running basic games like The Sims 4 at medium to high settings at 1080p?

3. What would you go for? (keeping in mind the extra 2-3 weeks if go for SSD).

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
An SSD will give you a nice speed boost for just about any task, not to mention that Yosemite is a bit sluggish on HDDs. I would definitely recommend it.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
I have a 2013 iMac with an SSD. I can't go back using an HDD, but that's just me, some people just don't complain about things they never heard of, so...

I need to buy an iMac for the living room. My niece wants to be able to play games like The Sims 4, Hearthstone, and other basic stuff. But she is picky about native resolution graphics.

My family is not used to an SSD. We always had an iMac in the living room and a Macbook Pro wondering around the house. Problem is, I have a budget and I want to go for the 21.5" Iris Pro + 256 SSD. Kids want the 750m over SSD.

1. Anyone here has the standard iMac with a normal HDD? Is it really bad for non heavy usage like web browsing and basic Apple apps like iPhotos and iMovies?

2. What about the Iris Pro? Is it okay for running basic games like The Sims 4 at medium to high settings at 1080p?

3. What would you go for? (keeping in mind the extra 2-3 weeks if go for SSD).
I don't normally recommend the Fusion Drive, but in this case, since you're not doing professional tasks on it, a 1TB FD should be alright.

As for the Iris Pro, it should be alright if you run the games over Boot Camp in Windows. Note that with a FD, Boot Camp can only run off the HDD.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
I don't normally recommend the Fusion Drive, but in this case, since you're not doing professional tasks on it, a 1TB FD should be alright.

I agree, but only if 1 TB of storage is actually needed. If 256 GB will suffice then pure SSD is the best choice.

ventuss

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 9, 2011
The average storage space used in the family iMac has been around 100-120GB, that's why I was considering the 256GB SSD over Fusion Drive (same price and less risk of failing, right?). Since everyone has a laptop for their personal stuff, the living room iMac is pretty much for internet browsing, The Sims 4, Hearthstones (basic stuff) and photos.

Would the 750m be worth breaking the budget? :p Like SSD and 750m

Last edited:

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
The average storage space used in the family iMac has been around 100-120GB, that's why I was considering the 256GB SSD over Fusion Drive (same price and less risk of failing, right?). Since everyone has a laptop for their personal stuff, the living room iMac is pretty much for internet browsing, The Sims 4, Hearthstones (basic stuff) and photos.

Would the 750m be worth breaking the budget? :p Like SSD and 750m

The 750M is definitely worth breaking the budget.

Although old, it's still capable for games like that. In fact, I play BF4 on it, 1680x1050, 16xAF, FXAA and everything at a mix of high and ultra and regularly get 47-50 fps, with the lowest being 34 and easily going past 60 in quite a number of situations.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.