Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macOSX-tastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2005
At the Airport. UK
.....like this?

a mate told me that it makes the wires wear faster or something because of induced magnetic fields produced by the coil.....something i learnt in physics.

he is an engineer in training, and i am unsure...manybe im being paranoid:D....should i take heed of his advice?

S

Attachments

• Picture(101).jpg
    Picture(101).jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 87

MacBookJoePro

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2006
You know, my physics 2 teacher told me that same thing. I remember vividly that he said " do not have your wires in loops or ... blah blah blah." i should've paid attention. I would also like to know this as well

-JoE

joecool85

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
Maine
If they were causing wear from that, it would take so long that your PB will be long gone/dead before then.

KingSleaze

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2004
So. Cal
The thin wire coming out of the power brick is carrying direct current. No relative motion of flux lines to a conductor is being produced by them, so no induced magnetic field from that coil. (Current flow adjacent and in opposite directions cancels out any electromagnetic field that might be created by that coil). The alternating current going into the brick 'might' be close enough to that coil to produce some effect.
For the truly paranoid, undo the coil and let the slack hang down.

macOSX-tastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2005
At the Airport. UK
they dont feel warm, and they dont hinder performance at all.....ther isnt anything in the manual about it, but if the worst comes to the worse, i will just have to invest in a new adapter wont i? :D

i like the cord as it is, its tidy......OCD with wires:D

your right, i dont reaal see how this can be a potential problem, but its always good to check. if i was met with: OMG! uncoil that IMMIDIATELY!!!!! i think my view would change:D

mcmillan

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2004
KingSleaze said:
The thin wire coming out of the power brick is carrying direct current. No relative motion of flux lines to a conductor is being produced by them, so no induced magnetic field from that coil. (Current flow adjacent and in opposite directions cancels out any electromagnetic field that might be created by that coil). The alternating current going into the brick 'might' be close enough to that coil to produce some effect.
I didn't understand a word, so I'm just gonna agree with you. :D

MacBookJoePro

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2006

oh yea... doc brown said something like that right? he needed the flux capacitor in order to generate the 1.21 jigawatts of power.

-JoE

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
Hehe.. Not likely. You'd need incredibly high amperage going through those wires for that to happen, but even then the insulation may have a ferrite core on it, stopping it from happening.. Basically, you have nothing to worry about..

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
I have mine coiled like that too, it looks nice! I love the style power adapters apple uses!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.