Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the official launch of the new ultra-slim 12-inch MacBook with Retina display still over a week away on April 10, Vietnamese site Tinhte.vn has managed to get its hands on the brand-new silver MacBook and has shared an unboxing video and photos.

3010106_DSC_0125-800x532.jpg
The entirety of the video is in Vietnamese, of course, but is still worth a watch to check out the design of the new MacBook, the USB-C adapter, and the edge-to-edge keyboard in someone's hands outside the confines of Apple's media event last month.

Additional photos from the unboxing can be found on the Tinhte.vn official website, with the full video located on the site's YouTube channel. The new MacBook launches on April 10, and Apple has yet to announce whether it will be offering pre-orders ahead of that date.

Tinhte.vn has a long history of getting its hands on Apple products ahead of their launches, with early looks at such products as the iPhone 4, third-generation iPad, and EarPods.

Article Link: New Retina MacBook Appears in Early Unboxing Video

reedmo

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2011
"USB type C"

Watching the video all I can understand is "USB type C." I get it, it has USB type C!

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Yeah. Hopefully this isn't legit because that keyboard is hot garbage.

It is legit though, that's what it looks like.

I personally agree with you all on the form of the MacBook. Thinness aside, I really think it looks horrible. Though in saying that, I also thought the 12" PowerBook looked horrible, while most people disagreed with me.

Nonetheless I think we can all agree on one thing - ditching MagSafe for one 'does all' port, just to get it as thin as possible, is a dreadful idea - and a classic example of Apple's form over function.

There are some really great things about this computer. But to me it feels more like an engineering exercise, in that 'hey, we can do this', rather than the 'this is the future of notebooks' feeling that I got when the MacBook Air was first revealed.

I'm sure time will prove me wrong. Though I hope they'll keep MagSafe.

Scott6666

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2008
It seems to have no OS on it. Did not look like it was booting.

So it wasn't stolen out of the distribution channel

[Also like the way he says "MacBook"]

TheKDub

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2008
Yeah. Hopefully this isn't legit because that keyboard is hot garbage.

I don't see why this video won't be legit. The product has already been unveiled and I know the U.S. stores are going to get it within the next 2 weeks so these products are definitely in the distribution channels by now. Not surprised that a box or two would "slip out" of the system and land in these guys hands.

ChinaRye

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2007
Washington, DC
This would be great for someone looking to step up from an iPad for productivity, but with only one port, it definitely is not for typical users. Maybe just for people who surf the internet but want a full OS. But, then again, maybe that is typical!

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
With the utmost respect I watched that with the volume down ;)

I like the mirrored Apple logo. Can't wait to see in gold.

minhvn

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2013
To those saying that this is fake: if you look closely on the video at around 1:08 mark, you can see the serial number on the box. And yes, that is a valid serial number with a valid purchase date, although no product is associated with it just yet.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Still not seeing how a single port is sensible.

Since these things have such limited drivespace and aren't upgradable, that pretty much guarantees the need for an external drive. ...and having to choose between having your drive plugged in or your charger sucks.

I liked getting to hear Vietnamese spoken. And I liked the keyboard. :p

caipirina

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2002
what are those holes?

First time i notice them in this video, on the non USB type C side is something that looks very much like a headphone port ... and then 2 smaller holes that remind me of the sim card tray thingies on the phones ... that side is rarely on official photos, the only i could find was a darker than usual space grey model, where it is very hard to see them ... what are they? Headphone jack dropped last minute? airholes?

Attachments

• holes.jpg
    holes.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 241

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
It is legit though, that's what it looks like.

I personally agree with you all on the form of the MacBook. Thinness aside, I really think it looks horrible. Though in saying that, I also thought the 12" PowerBook looked horrible, while most people disagreed with me.

Nonetheless I think we can all agree on one thing - ditching MagSafe for one 'does all' port, just to get it as thin as possible, is a dreadful idea - and a classic example of Apple's form over function.

There are some really great things about this computer. But to me it feels more like an engineering exercise, in that 'hey, we can do this', rather than the 'this is the future of notebooks' feeling that I got when the MacBook Air was first revealed.

I'm sure time will prove me wrong. Though I hope they'll keep MagSafe.

Luckily Apple still makes laptops for you. They're called the 13" and 15" rMBP. :)

Jynto

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2012
Nottingham, UK
First time i notice them in this video, on the non USB type C side is something that looks very much like a headphone port ... and then 2 smaller holes that remind me of the sim card tray thingies on the phones ... that side is rarely on official photos, the only i could find was a darker than usual space grey model, where it is very hard to see them ... what are they? Headphone jack dropped last minute? airholes?

Microphones.

slagathor001

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2011
1000% sure there's no magsafe system?

1000% sure there's no magsafe system? Doesn't make sense for them to get rid of it!

I like the design of the computer. The second gen more expensive version of the macbook (which will probably come out next year) will be a great computer.

Apple made the first one with just one USB-C port so that when the second one comes out an has 2 it'll sell a whole lot more

treichert

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2007
Aachen, Germany

Microphones as on every iPad and MacBook of the last 3-4 years.

extricated

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Arkansas
Honestly, the only thing that came to my mind was, "I hope my Apple Watch arrives early!".
You can clearly see what I'm obsessing about these days.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010

No idea what the little holes are, but the bigger one is a headphone jack, and they aren't dropping that.

Edit: Ah, yes, the little ones are microphones.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area

I was pretty sure those were the noise-cancelling mic holes.

...but that's a terrible place for mic holes.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Still not seeing how a single port is sensible.

Since these things have such limited drivespace and aren't upgradable, that pretty much guarantees the need for an external drive. ...and having to choose between having your drive plugged in or your charger sucks.

I liked getting to hear Vietnamese spoken. And I liked the keyboard. :p

One, why does it guarantee the need for an external drive? Do iPads require an external drive? Also does the laptop need to be charging when you're using an external drive? Does the external drive quickly drain the battery?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.