Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hed1117

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
Miami
So I'm a very happy owner of a mid-2012 15" MBPr
(16GB ram, 2.6 GHz i7, HD Graphics 4000, 256 GB SSD)

BUT

I recently had some issues that prompted me to take the computer to Apple to have it checked out.

I have previously had the battery/topcase replaced twice(!) due to issues with the trackpad becoming unresponsive and I thought I might be having the beginnings of a similar issue for a third time.
Another concern was a single case of the computer dramatically overheating one day several months ago for no apparent reason.

Long story short, the in-store testing didn't reveal any problems but they sent the machine out for further testing.

Got it back a few days ago with multiple replaced parts including logic board, topcase/battery/trackpad, fans and heat sink.

So here's my dilemma:

• Be grateful for the multiple repairs and hope/pray that I don't have another problem after my applecare warranty expires in 8 months (in spite of having 3 trackpad/battery replacements in the last 2 1/4 years)

OR

• Appeal to Apple to offer me a replacement MBPr (with full warranty).

Problem here is that I recently purchased a 1TB JetDrive SSD to replace the 256GB (to address the only "shortcoming" of my MBPr i.e. limited storage). I was/am ready to install it but a replacement MBPr will most likely be newer and therefor I will lose the ability to upgrade the SSD - at least for now as there are no 3rd party replacements for the newer MBPrs.

Ideally, I wish they would just extend my applecare warranty but I've been told that all the replacement parts installed under warranty are only guaranteed for 3 months.

What to do, what to do...

Last edited:

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
So you've effectively got a new Mac out of it (logic board, top case, battery and track pad). Once Apple's warranty has expired, put your SSD in and enjoy it.

matreya

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Replace the SSD, keep the old one to put back in place if you need to return the Mac for servicing...

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
Considering that today's rMBP 15 isn't much faster in day to day use, I'd just keep your machine and put the 1TB drive in it. BTW how much did you pay for it?

hed1117

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
Miami
Quandary

Considering that today's rMBP 15 isn't much faster in day to day use, I'd just keep your machine and put the 1TB drive in it. BTW how much did you pay for it?

I paid $515 for the SSD.

Like I said, I'm very happy with the speed and capabilities of my 'puter BUT
I have had issues and I hate to think what it will cost me if the same issues recur yet again after the warranty expires in 8 months.

Apple hasn't offered me a replacement but I figure it wouldn't be unreasonable to request one.

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
I paid $515 for the SSD.

Like I said, I'm very happy with the speed and capabilities of my 'puter BUT
I have had issues and I hate to think what it will cost me if the same issues recur yet again after the warranty expires in 8 months.

Apple hasn't offered me a replacement but I figure it wouldn't be unreasonable to request one.

Here's the thing. Considering that the current rMBP has the same problematic Nvidia GPU as our 2012 has, (The GT750M is a re-branded GT650M) I'd either get an Iris Pro rMBP 15 - which has no Nvidia chip, or wait for the next rMBP 15 which should have the Maxwell chip which should be more reliable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.