Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BonitianHeathen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2015
I recently purchased a Macbook Pro to produce music. I installed Logic Pro X. However quickly after I realized I would need to uninstall it and reinstall it for performance reasons. I deleted/trashed the program and all the files I could find related to Logic. I have cleared the trash as well. But I know it is not as simple as that. Essentially Logic has been installed and uninstalled twice so far. How do I make sure that I still don't have unneccesary files/previous downloads. I want to make my Macbook as fast and clean as possible and I have a feeling I messed it up. Help? Am I better off returning it and just getting a new one and starting from scratch?

BonitianHeathen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2015
Okay however lets say this: The program takes up however much space. Lets go with 40 GB. I uninstalled and deleted it. How am I making sure I got my 40GB back? Because something tells me I'm not. Essentially if that's the case then did I use up 120GB since I reinstalled twice?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Okay however lets say this: The program takes up however much space. Lets go with 40 GB. I uninstalled and deleted it. How am I making sure I got my 40GB back? Because something tells me I'm not. Essentially if that's the case then did I use up 120GB since I reinstalled twice?
Use the instructions I posted on deleting apps. It should find any traces left behind from your uninstall efforts.

BonitianHeathen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2015
Use the instructions I posted on deleting apps. It should find any traces left behind from your uninstall efforts.

The video is helpful however what If now I'm not trying to uninstall the program? Just old remnants of past installations? How do I decipher current files I want to keep from old ones I don't need?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
The video is helpful however what If now I'm not trying to uninstall the program? Just old remnants of past installations? How do I decipher current files I want to keep from old ones I don't need?
Uninstalling remnants of past installations works the same as uninstalling the app initially. Follow the instructions exactly. Once you've identified files for deletion, you can post a screen shot of your Finder search results showing the files, if you're unsure about deleting any.

Quijano187

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2015
This might be overkill but why not reinstall the OSX ? Start fresh all over again. That is what i would do if i was you .. Hope this helps.:cool:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
This might be overkill but why not reinstall the OSX ? Start fresh all over again. That is what i would do if i was you .. Hope this helps.:cool:
That is extreme overkill and completely unnecessary. You don't need to reinstall OS X every time you delete an app. It's wasted time and effort.

Quijano187

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2015
That is extreme overkill and completely unnecessary. You don't need to reinstall OS X every time you delete an app. It's wasted time and effort.

The user mentioned he wants to make sure it clean and fast as possible. A reinstall of OSX is the only way to accomplish this ..

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
The user mentioned he wants to make sure it clean and fast as possible. A reinstall of OSX is the only way to accomplish this ..
An app has zero impact on speed or performance, whether it's installed or not. Having data, including apps, stored on your drive will have no impact on performance, unless you're almost out of drive space. Only apps that are running can impact performance.

SavMBP15

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2010
OS X does not work like Windows. There is no registry to get all gummed up with old entries. Just delete the app and be done with it. If you want to be 100% sure, use one the many deletion apps on the app store.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
If you want to be 100% sure, use one the many deletion apps on the app store.
If you elect to use such apps, be aware that in most cases, app removal software doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this and this. If you just want to delete the app, drag the .app file to the trash. No other software needed. If you want to completely remove all associated files/folders, no removal apps will do the job.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.