Broke ibook 12 G4 Screen/How to Replace? - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Mar 11, 2006, 08:09 PM   #1
Patrick Bateman
macrumors member

Broke ibook 12 G4 Screen/How to Replace?

Dropped my cell phone on the screen of my 12 inch G4 ibook. Got a pretty good crack under the surface which has totally screwed up my viewing experience so now I'm considering my options. Is this easy enough to replace with an lcd off of ebay or do I need to send it in anywhere? Or just sell it and get a new ibook? Hoping for some ideas. My day has sucked so far. Thanks for any help.
Patrick Bateman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2006, 08:44 PM   #2
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

Look through this guide to see whether you're game. It's not for the faint hearted. I'd take it to an Apple certified technician.
Old Mar 11, 2006, 11:04 PM   #3
Shamus
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to Shamus
as mad jew pointed out, replacing the screen will be a hefty undertaking. Also, it come cheap, wether you do it yourself or get apple to do it. Of course, getting apple to do it will be more expensive, but its up to you to decide wether the cost of replacing it is really worth it. Otherwise, you could just hope that the intel iBooks rumored to be introduced shortly have a price cut aswell.
Shamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2006, 11:13 PM   #4
asherman13
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to asherman13
CompUSA will do it for around $200 if you provide them with a screen; at least that's what it was when I asked a year ago or so.
asherman13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2006, 11:22 PM   #5
Shamus
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by asherman13
CompUSA will do it for around $200 if you provide them with a screen; at least that's what it was when I asked a year ago or so.
Yeah, then you need to find the screen. You might get one off eBay for cheap, otherwise, I was looking on a site the other day with prices for a screen. From memory, I think it was about $200-300. Ill try and find the link.
Old Mar 11, 2006, 11:27 PM   #6
Shamus
macrumors 6502a

http://www.ifixit.com/cart/catalog/c...12_page_1.html

Replacement display: $400 dollars. Ouch.

If you really want to replace it, i'd look on eBay. Otherwise, it would probably only cost new a couple of hundred dollars more to get a new machine.
Old Mar 12, 2006, 12:04 AM   #7
Patrick Bateman
macrumors member

First, thanks for all the replies. Second, I'm hoping to just get the actual LCD screen and not the bezel and the cover so from what I've seen on ebay, it looks like about $100 to $160 for that and then either do it myself or for $50 I can get someone else to do it for me. Keep the ideas coming. Currently seeing if insurance will cover any of this.
Old Mar 13, 2006, 05:46 PM   #8
Patrick Bateman
macrumors member

Anyone have any specific break down of the display since I think I'm going in. I'm intending to replace just the LCD within the display and have been looking everywhere for an ibook or powerbook break down on how to do it. Thanks!
Old Mar 13, 2006, 10:46 PM   #9
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

I haven't seen a better place than the iFixit Guides for this sort of thing. In case you missed it, there's a link in my first post.
Old Mar 14, 2006, 07:57 AM   #10
Patrick Bateman
macrumors member

Hey, yeah I saw it and its probably the best out there for it but it doesn't get into taking apart the display to replace the LCD, at least I didn't see that part if it's there.
Old Mar 14, 2006, 09:15 AM   #11
Experiment13
macrumors newbie

Great place for screen replacement

I busted a new aluminum 15" screen. Apple wanted $1,300 to fix it, but a friend found out about Weneger Media who specializes in laptop repairs. They wanted $550.00 for a new screen installed, to bend the case back in shape, and to install my own 7200 RPM drive. They were fast, the screen was very close if not equal to Mac quality, and very courteous/efficient. After a year, everything is fine.

Weneger Media at http://www.wegenermedia.com/ is highly recommended.

Good luck-
Experiment13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 01:10 AM   #12
gman71882
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to gman71882
Ibook screen replacement

I work at a University, and had a student place her Ibook on top of her Car in the parking lot, drive off and the computer slid off and destroyed the screen.
She Purchased a Ibook for parts off Ebay for $100 and i frakensteined the computers together to make one working one.
It ended up working fine, so just be aware of what your doing, Use the take apart manuals for your correct version of the ibook. and it should work out.
Its about a 3-4 hour job, but it is alot of fun!.

If you need the take apart manuals let me know i have 9 of the digital PDF versions for the various ibook revisions - up untill about early 2004 models.
other wise Ifixit has some good online take apart manuals

27" 2.7GHZ i5 Imac | 12GB RAM | |1TB HD
gman71882 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs