Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
I got my IpT5 around July 2013. The wifi has been on nearly 90% of the time, and never really turned off. I recall playing games for hours and the battery would go down by large chunks (minus 30 to 60%).
On some occasions, I played around 2 hours of games.
Now, it does this with just an hour's of play.

I used to be able to go days without charging, but now, I need to charge it every 2 days given roughly the same, lighter use.

Man does the time fly. I may consider getting a replacement IpT5, but we'll see what's on the horizon this year as far as iOS devices go.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I got my IpT5 around July 2013. The wifi has been on nearly 90% of the time, and never really turned off. I recall playing games for hours and the battery would go down by large chunks (minus 30 to 60%).

I used to be able to go days without charging, but now, I need to charge it every 2 days given roughly the same, lighter use.

Man does the time fly. I may consider getting a replacement IpT5, but we'll see what's on the horizon this year as far as iOS devices go.

You can see battery health in the latest version of coconutBattery on the Mac!

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA

I'm waiting till September before I decide to replace my Touch 5.

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
Eeeek. I must have cursed myself with that post :D. My 64GB Touch 5 just died and I'll have to decide what to do about a replacement this weekend.

$299 for a new Touch 5
or
$749 for an iPhone 6 (to use as a Touch).

Have you considered a iPad Mini?

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
Have you considered a iPad Mini?
This would be the my reason, and I'm guessing for many others who are considering replacing an IpT with another IpT or an Iph as opposed to an Ipad Mini is the Ipad Mini is too big to fit in one's pocket. Ironically enough, I knew a few folks who refused to get an Ipad because it was too big. It was when the Ipad Mini 1 came out that they jumped on the tablet band wagon. Similar concerns apply here between that and a handheld

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
This would be the my reason, and I'm guessing for many others who are considering replacing an IpT with another IpT or an Iph as opposed to an Ipad Mini is the Ipad Mini is too big to fit in one's pocket. Ironically enough, I knew a few folks who refused to get an Ipad because it was too big. It was when the Ipad Mini 1 came out that they jumped on the tablet band wagon. Similar concerns apply here between that and a handheld

I have an iPad Mini 2 but it will not fit in any of my pockets. It's a nice device but I need something more portable. I'm also not interested in a phone / data plan.

Sounds like the sweet spot for you two lies in a 5-7 inch tablet. I have a Nexus 7 and it is a nice size but I wouldn't put it in my pocket. Perhaps a good high end "phablet" would be a good match. With the iPod Touch being limited by the A5, some of the newer Androids will run circles around it in terms of performance. The Samsung Galaxy Note series comes to mind with its 5.7 inch screen.

Is there a reason why you wouldn't want a bigger phone? If you two do not currently own a cell phone, I am working on a guide that would allow free unlimited text, unlimited VoIP calls, 250 cell minutes, and 250 MB of data for just $10 a month on the Verizon network. I can speed up that guide and post it and the Android selection is quite decent. Let me know if you want more details on that too!

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
Sounds like the sweet spot for you two lies in a 5-7 inch tablet. I have a Nexus 7 and it is a nice size but I wouldn't put it in my pocket. Perhaps a good high end "phablet" would be a good match. With the iPod Touch being limited by the A5, some of the newer Androids will run circles around it in terms of performance. The Samsung Galaxy Note series comes to mind with its 5.7 inch screen.

Is there a reason why you wouldn't want a bigger phone? If you two do not currently own a cell phone, I am working on a guide that would allow free unlimited text, unlimited VoIP calls, 250 cell minutes, and 250 MB of data for just $10 a month on the Verizon network. I can speed up that guide and post it and the Android selection is quite decent. Let me know if you want more details on that too!

I already have a bigger smartphone. A Samsung Galaxy s4. In the whole scheme of things, the gs4 is more important since that's what I use to 'get around'... GPS, internet, email, digicam, cell phone. I do prefer to also hold on to the IpT5 b/c I still have a bunch of games on there. It has become my gaming device. Despite having to carry around 2 devices, I like I can play games without worry on the IpT5, as it won't affect my ability to again, get around.

Am aware this isn't a fair comparison, as an Iph would have data connection to do many of the things my gs4 does. However, back in 2013, I made the fateful to try out an Android (Galaxy s2). By then, I've already been using an IpT4 for about 8 months (coming from an IpT3 previously), and I gotta say, I'm glad I did. So at the very least, Android's got my loyalty as far as smartphones go.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I already have a bigger smartphone. A Samsung Galaxy s4. In the whole scheme of things, the gs4 is more important since that's what I use to 'get around'... GPS, internet, email, digicam, cell phone. I do prefer to also hold on to the IpT5 b/c I still have a bunch of games on there. It has become my gaming device. Despite having to carry around 2 devices, I like I can play games without worry on the IpT5, as it won't affect my ability to again, get around.

Am aware this isn't a fair comparison, as an Iph would have data connection to do many of the things my gs4 does. However, back in 2013, I made the fateful to try out an Android (Galaxy s2). By then, I've already been using an IpT4 for about 8 months (coming from an IpT3 previously), and I gotta say, I'm glad I did. So at the very least, Android's got my loyalty as far as smartphones go.

In that case a good tablet sounds like a good idea. I would go for the 2013 version of the Nexus 7. Groupon is running a deal on brand new overstock models for $149.99 right now and free shipping. You could also get an unlocked one and use it on T-Mobile for a free data plan.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
In that case a good tablet sounds like a good idea. I would go for the 2013 version of the Nexus 7. Groupon is running a deal on brand new overstock models for $149.99 right now and free shipping. You could also get an unlocked one and use it on T-Mobile for a free data plan.

The nexus 7 is a mess now, it's faired even worse than the mini 1 and touch 5 from what I've read.

Tablets are not want some want as well - an iPod touch is an excelent size and concept. Honesty I think it will get an update - even if the iPod is only counting for 3 percent of their revenue that's several billion dollars... I can't imagine recycling an iPad mini 2 logic board or modifying a iPhone 5S/6 logic board would cost much, and they will sell so it's not like they're loosing money on the touch. It also keeps android users in the system, pulls people into the apple ecosystem etc.

We'll just have to wait till WWDC or Septmeber.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
This morning my Touch 5 started working again :D. Hopefully it remains working till this fall.

Wooohoo!!!

Is it by any chance under warranty? Here in Australia all products are covered under two years of Australian Consumer Law warranty, regardless of Apple's standard one year policy.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Wooohoo!!!

Is it by any chance under warranty? Here in Australia all products are covered under two years of Australian Consumer Law warranty, regardless of Apple's standard one year policy.

I bought it when it first came out so even in Australia it wouldn't be covered. It wouldn't have been covered in any case since I caused all my Touch problems.

A few months ago, the tip of a speaker jack broke off in my Touch (it's actually not a rare problem). I attempted to use tweezers and other tools to pull the tip out before checking out solutions on the internet. The solution was a small drop of instant glue on the broken speaker jack to bond with the tip and then pull out the tip. The tip came right out but I had already damaged the Touch headphone jack. The only way I can use headphones with my Touch is to put multiple coatings of water on my headphone jack. Needless to say, putting water in your Touch is not a good thing :D. I thought this last application of water did it in, but it looks like it dried out.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
The nexus 7 is a mess now, it's faired even worse than the mini 1 and touch 5 from what I've read.

Tablets are not want some want as well - an iPod touch is an excelent size and concept. Honesty I think it will get an update - even if the iPod is only counting for 3 percent of their revenue that's several billion dollars... I can't imagine recycling an iPad mini 2 logic board or modifying a iPhone 5S/6 logic board would cost much, and they will sell so it's not like they're loosing money on the touch. It also keeps android users in the system, pulls people into the apple ecosystem etc.

We'll just have to wait till WWDC or Septmeber.

I agree that I think Apple will keep the iPod touch in the market. The question is when will they update and you are right we will just need to wait and see. I do feel that the iPod touch was born in a time when a smartphone was still a highly prestigious product that wasn't within reach to everyone. It was the perfect device as it had apps, music, etc. Now the market has greatly diminished because nearly everyone and their mother owns a smartphone in some variety now and I am sure that is why Apple does not view to update it as often now, especially since they were still selling the 5c and iPad Mini with the same A5 internals. I figure, once the 5c and Mini are discontinued, then the iPod touch will receive its update.

I own an original iPad Mini and the Nexus. iOS 8.0 on the Mini essentially made me want to get a pair of pliers and pull my teeth out with its frustrating performance and reliability. You are typing notes on it in class one minute and it decides that it did not like that and closes the app for you. Fantastic! The progression to iOS 8.2 was a bit long, but Apple made the iPad Mini very usable and still a great device to own. That being said, unless you can find a Mini under $125 used or you own one already then I don't really recommend buying one at this stage in the game for anyone who is wondering. The Nexus was once regarded as the cream of the crop Android tablet. It came out after iPad Mini, but since both are a couple of years old now I figured I would buy one too as I wanted more experience with Android and I love new toys to play with. I had a Dell Venue 3830 from school and it ran KitKat without a hitch or any lag whatsoever, but the hardware was rather lackluster with a 1280x800 screen, low end camera, and poor button quality. The Nexus should run better due to its hardware, but I do sense a bit of lag from here and there under KitKat. Lollipop actually ran much better on the Nexus in my experience. It was fast and fluid with no lag in my use. There were minor app closes, but it was a brand new OS and iOS 8 was no better when it was released. Keep in mind that when a new iOS or Android .x update is released I download the firmware manually on my Mac and DFU mode restore (iOS) or Fastboot Restore (Android) the image. For example, I would restore my device when iOS 8.1 came out, but not for a minor update like 8.1.1. That may explain why I don't have a lot of the issues people complain about with either OS when released as I am starting fresh.

Nismo73

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2013
I've had mine since Day 1 and can tell now it eats through a charge noticeably faster.

SarahCat

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2014
iPod touch 5 gen

My iPod touch 5 th gn is roughly two years old . Everything is ok but I notice that when I am not using it my battery drains more than when I do. If I charge it and leave up it on standby for a week the battery is completely depleted even if I don't turn it on. Is this normal? I know some background stuff is on as a result of being ready to use but I feel like I am wasting charge cycles for no reason. Thanks

colodane

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2012
Colorado
Yes, I believe it is a somewhat normal sign of age on this particular battery. Mine is doing similar things. The past few months I try to put it into Airplane Mode when I'm not using it - that seems to help. And of course keep the screen intensity at a reasonable level.

spicynujac

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2012
Eeeek. I must have cursed myself with that post :D. My 64GB Touch 5 just died and I'll have to decide what to do about a replacement this weekend.

$299 for a new Touch 5
or
$749 for an iPhone 6 (to use as a Touch).

Until they update the touch, I'm using an Amazon Kindle Fire HDX. I have to say Android for me is a serious step backwards, although I don't care for IOS 7/8 either. There is not a good user friendly mobile OS out there today.

But the price is right for the Kindle. It's small enough to fit into a back pocket, though definitely not as portable as the ipod touch. I'm still holding on to my version 4 (ios 6) :)

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2008
UK

Based on what?

I use an iPad 2, iPod Touch 5th Gen, Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 (2013) The iPad 2 was super smooth when it come out, same for the iPod, the Nexus 4 and 7 are super smooth, everything loads mega fast and everything works. The experience is far superior to my other Apple devices.

I am no Android fan but the Nexus 7 (2013) is superb, screen is 1080P and very very good. Speed, performance, GPS, battery life, superb. Can't fault it (cost me £70 as well) :)

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Based on what?

I use an iPad 2, iPod Touch 5th Gen, Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 (2013) The iPad 2 was super smooth when it come out, same for the iPod, the Nexus 4 and 7 are super smooth, everything loads mega fast and everything works. The experience is far superior to my other Apple devices.

I am no Android fan but the Nexus 7 (2013) is superb, screen is 1080P and very very good. Speed, performance, GPS, battery life, superb. Can't fault it (cost me £70 as well) :)

I read a heap of reviews, and know people with them that say that they are disaster....

Is your Nexus updated to the latest version of Android?

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
Based on what?

Android L slowed mine down to the point where I don't really want to use it, not when I have more modern devices with better specs.

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2008
UK
I read a heap of reviews, and know people with them that say that they are disaster....

Is your Nexus updated to the latest version of Android?

I actually use them.

iPad 2, iPod Touch 5th Gen and iOS8
Nexus 4, 7 - 5.1

iPad 2, iPod Touch 5th Gen - with latest iOS8 both work better but take forever to load apps (compared to the near instant speed of the Nexus) and that's with nothing loaded compared to the Nexus with 30-40 apps in the background.

The nexus (4 and 7) is super smooth and works great doing anything. Battery life is bonkers as well. Try one and you will see what I mean.

I know people with iOS say android is rubbish, people with Android say iOS is rubbish but don't actually use both. I do on a daily basis and the Nexus is far superior to both.

----------

Android L slowed mine down to the point where I don't really want to use it, not when I have more modern devices with better specs.

I use Android L (5.0 and now 5.1 after last nights update).
- Not even remotely slow to use, nice and fast, smooth, apps open nearly instantly
- iPod Touch was great (iOS6) but now slow, takes maybe 20-30 secs to open Facebook. I tend to use Instagram more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.