Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wetcanvas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 7, 2014
I havent been to the apple store in ages and im thinking of upgrading my air to a 13 inch retina. I was wondering when you click the force touchpad do you still get a click or a snap feeling when you press or is it like pressing your finger on a table with no feedback.

DavidBlack

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2013
Somewhere In Apple's HQ ;)
The force touch trackpad feels like the old mechanical trackpad. (IMO). It just feels a slight bit different. Here is a YouTube video that demos this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6R3epRgxpg

However, at the end of the day you won't be able to experience it unless you try it out. Finally, no the trackpad does not actually 'click' the magnetic inside does give you the feeling like its being clicked.

Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
No, the force touchpad doesn't actually click (there's no movement, as such, but it gives you physical feedback that feels like a click.

If you want the true action, then tap the pad when the Macbook is off.
There's no movement of any kind (like you said, a table!)
Power on, makes all the difference.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
I havent been to the apple store in ages and im thinking of upgrading my air to a 13 inch retina. I was wondering when you click the force touchpad do you still get a click or a snap feeling when you press or is it like pressing your finger on a table with no feedback.

The name says it all. Ever heard of force feedback for game controllers? Pretty much the same principle, except the feeling being replicated is a click instead of gaming action.

wetcanvas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 7, 2014
I guess I will have to try it out. Not really sure why they changed the touchpad though it was already considered the best in the industry by many.

DavidBlack

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2013
Somewhere In Apple's HQ ;)
I guess I will have to try it out. Not really sure why they changed the touchpad though it was already considered the best in the industry by many.

It's a good trackpad yes. However, there is always room for improvement e.g. on the old trackpad clicking towards the top was very stiff, but, the new one you get a continuous clicking feel on the entire surface.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
I was at the Apple store today.

In and of itself you'll get use to it. It does feel like a click - sort of.

But it's different than the previous models that actually click. I prefer a real click. This new one does not click, it just feels like a click because of some magnets and vibrations it makes.

It's not bad, but IMO, "close, but no cigar"

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
One advantage is that the pressure needed for a click is now adjustable. After playing around with it in the store for a while I really like it.

BriOS

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2014
As said it does not actually click, but id does make the click sound. Pair that with the click feeling, and it fools your brain. But YES it does make the click sound too along with the feeling. I love it.

Android300zx

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2012
Turn off the laptop and try clicking the track pad. It won't click. This will answer your question.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.