Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GeneR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 2, 2003
The land of delusions, CA.
I was wondering if the fact that there was a slow-down on the internet earlier this week, whether that in itself may be the signal that M$ may be in jeopardy of losing its market share.

Perhaps virus' don't happen so much. I dunno. I'm really not aware of that stuff. However, I am wondering that should it continue in the future whether that in itself will drive people to different operating systems such as Apple or Linux. Anyway, just thoughts. Thanks! If you have any thoughts on this please let me know.

Thanks again! :D

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Slows downs like what happend a few days ago have happend before and they will happen again.

In MS's defense the flaw was discovered and a patch was issued months(?) ago. They can't force people to patch their software (not even their own IT guys ;)).

Lethal

jaykk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
CA
But its a big blow to thier ego

They keep preaching about "trust computing" etc, and this event is really tarnished their image. I bet more and more Enterprise users will try alternate OS, linux is the fav. and thats good for Unix community, esp Mac OS X

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
Re: But its a big blow to thier ego

Originally posted by jaykk
They keep preaching about "trust computing" etc, and this event is really tarnished their image. I bet more and more Enterprise users will try alternate OS, linux is the fav. and thats good for Unix community, esp Mac OS X
You know, if people give OS X a try for a week they'd switch. Maybe not gamers, but I think home users and professionals. I didn't realize how great OS X was until I installed it this week. I have Windows XP and it sucks compared to this OS. It's stable and easy to use. Comes with great apps. I think apple should put some computers in internet cafe's and let people experience how great it is. I can't believe what an improvement over OS 9, X is.

firewire2001

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2002
Hong Kong
i think its actually really hard to tell..

i think that when more people started becoming educated about unix and linux there'll more viruses that will affect select users.

the whole opensource thing is really, also, a double edged sword. white hats may help towards the bettering of projects while black hat hackers may only destroy them with time..

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
this still does not make people realize that apple is a viable, multiplatform alternative.

i doubt most of these IT people even know the Xserve exists, let alone that it's an alternative to what they're using.

no, this won't impact MS's marketshare.

and yeah, these things have happened before. tho i think this was the biggest and worst, things like code red last year... global DOS attacks are a concern when viruses get out of hand...

pnw

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
[QUOTE In MS's defense the flaw was discovered and a patch was issued months(?) ago.

Lethal [/B][/QUOTE]

Let's not jump to defend Microsoft too quickly:

1. There have been dozens and dozens of patches this year alone.
2. This should not of happened in the first place. This vulnerability is not the result of a sophisticated and complex hack, but from a sloppy technical design in my opinion.
3. They didn't even patch their own servers, resulting in serious customer services issues over at MS.

You are correct that they can't force people to patch, but we should expect a certain level of quality in our products. For big companies, even the smallest patch is considerable time and money to ensure it won't cause other problems (which has happened in some of their service packs.) They should look at their own behavior, seeing it is hard on companies to install even the smallest of upgrades, and start building quality applications in the first place.

--BWhaler

DeadlyBreakfast

macrumors regular
Originally posted by LethalWolfe
Slows downs like what happend a few days ago have happend before and they will happen again.

In MS's defense the flaw was discovered and a patch was issued months(?) ago. They can't force people to patch their software (not even their own IT guys ;)).

Lethal

Not is M$'s defense......they had quite a few servers that they didn't even bother to apply thier own patch to and were effected!!!

Hahahahahahaha

Look, point and laugh...

http://www.wired.com/news/infostructure/0,1377,57439,00.html

Attachments

• pointing eyeballs.jpg
    pointing eyeballs.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 175

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
I would love to see Apple with 20% marketshare... but if they had any higher than that they would start to have all the same problems that MS has (with hackers and legal problems etc)

MacQuest

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2003
You See Dead People...
Originally posted by paulwhannel
this still does not make people realize that apple is a viable, multiplatform alternative.

i doubt most of these IT people even know the Xserve exists, let alone that it's an alternative to what they're using.

We'll just let Linux attack MS on this front, while Apple continues to focus on the consumers and maybe pick-up sales for Xserve over time.

I think Apples pretty safe [even with the G4 situation] when it comes to their existing niche markets.

It's not just Apple vs. MS, it's MS vs. everyone they've either screwed, tried to screw, or are attempting to screw.

I would put my money on the pack of angry, circling Jaguars against the 800 lb gorilla anyday.;)

MacQuest

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2003
You See Dead People...
Originally posted by Chaszmyr
I would love to see Apple with 20% marketshare... but if they had any higher than that they would start to have all the same problems that MS has (with hackers and legal problems etc)

What is it with people and not wanting Apple to have more than 20% marketshare?!

I'm sorry, not trying to single you out Chaszmyr, but I think this is total BS!!

Same problems that MS has? They brought, have brought, and continue to bring their problems onto themselves through their own bad and immoral business practices.

I don't believe that Apple will assimilate MS's poor moral standards simply because it becomes a bigger player.

The Mac community would never allow it!!

I agree that becoming higher profile would make Apple an easier target, but as long as it maintains it's code of honor it'll be OK.

If the Mac community became 50% of the market, we would be fine because we would still have 50% of the market to enlighten.

If one day we replaced Microsoft marketshare entirely, I think it all comes down to the fact that Apple is a user driven company, and us being the users would keep them inline.

Don't you think that they would keep themselves in check also, knowing how righteous we are?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.