Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I've been tossing this over for a week, as I'd like to get at least some comparison of performance between various processors in this range, as well as being able to compare them to later processors from the G3/G4 series.

I'd decided that Mathematica 3.0 would be a good choice. It's a math intensive program(since that's essentially all it does). I chose 3.0 for two reasons-1. It should run on all the processors I want t compare, and 2. More importantly, I have a retail boxed copy of it. Wolfram-the company that makes Mathematica-and Apple actually have a bit of a long relationship, as Steve Jobs actually suggested the name Mathematica to Steve Wolfram.

In any case, although I though this would be a decent benchmarking program, I struggled with coming up with something to throw at it that would take long enough to calculate that I could actually reliably measure it, without taking an excessive amount of time.

I think I've hit on a good combination with the below. Basically, it's calculating Leibniz's series to n=10,000. Leibniz's series is an aproximation of Pi. The below took about 10-12 minutes(I didn't time it for the first try) on my 9600/200MP.

I'm sure whether or not this version of Mathematica is multiprocessor aware. If it is, it should take roughly twice as long 200mhz 8600-I intend to test that.

As I said, I also want to look at G3 and G4 series processors. I suspect that sheer clock speed will help them out, although I don't think a G4 will give much(if any) benefit over a similarly clocked G3 since this version of Mathematica most certainly can not use Altivec(it was released in 1996).

In any case, below is a screenshot of the series I used. I'm going to try it out a couple of times-with the timer running-on several different computers and will report here.

Attachments

• mathematica benchmark.png
    mathematica benchmark.png
    95.7 KB · Views: 166

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
I need to try this on my Raspberry Pi. That comes with a licensed copy of Mathematica if you download the Raspbian distro.

I would also like to compare my PB3400 with my Kanga. The Kanga's G3 is clocked higher at 250MHz than the 240MHz of the 3400's 603e but the latter is supposed to be faster in real world use. Time to root around the archives for the 1996 release.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I just did my first "timed" test with a 533mhz Digital Audio G4. It took just about 7.5 minutes on that computer.

I suppose I was grossly underestimating it on the 9600 last night, as I was doing other things while I was running the calculation.

I'm going to try again on the 9600 and hopefully a few other systems, and will report back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.