Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HawkBYU

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2010
I have been on the lookout for USB-C adapters and accessories, besides what Apple is offering. Mostly, I have been looking for some sort of dock that I can just leave on my desk. So far, this is what I have found:

HydraDock - This is actually exactly what I was looking for in a dock, but I have never heard of these guys and I would be a little nervous buying from an unknown company.

MonoPrice - I have purchased a lot of cables from them in the past, usually pretty good quality. Hopefully they'll start offering more in the future.

Google - These look like a pretty good option.

Anything else out there?

pasadena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
Seattle, WA
The Google adapter looks really nice.

Belkin also has a few cables coming "soon" (summer ?) but they're the same price as than Apple's.

Edit : they don't say if it's 2.0 or 3.1 (if that's relevant for this type of cable)

Last edited:

Theophil1971

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2015
USA
The HydraDock looks like a good concept, but in my opinion they could vastly improve the design. If they want to market to users of the new Macbook, then a hunk of shiny white plastic won't cut it. They should slim it down a bit and offer it in similar colors to the macbook lineup.

electorate

macrumors member
May 8, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
The Hydra Dock claims to have Thunderbolt.. Then mentions it as if it's only a display method. I need USB-C to Thunderbolt for my G-RAID 8TB Thunderbolt drive.. Don't care if it's not full thunderbolt speed, just the connectivity at USB 3.1 speed is fine..

crucius

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2010
Portugal
The HydraDock looks like a good concept, but in my opinion they could vastly improve the design. If they want to market to users of the new Macbook, then a hunk of shiny white plastic won't cut it. They should slim it down a bit and offer it in similar colors to the macbook lineup.

Yeah, it looks horrible. Besides, I don't like using a riser stand. But the concept is fine, and if they slimmed it down, replaced the plastic with aluminium and added a replaceable USB-C cable (so I could use a longer one) I would buy one.

crsh1976

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2011
I'm really concerned how the Hydra Dock will manage to have all those ports going through that single 5 Gbps pipe, something will have to give up or throttle down to unbearably slow throughput - the "Jr" model looks more realistic with its fewer ports, tho.

In any case, it's a concept, the Kickstarter project isn't live yet..

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I purchased this thru Amazon two days ago. Should get it tomorrow. I'm ready for next Friday!!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SHM4HS4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've got Amazon Prime and it's telling me it wouldn't arrive until April 19-May5. It also comes to $18 shipped, so there's no reason not to pick up the $20 Apple USB C to USB A dongle next week. Actually, I'm trying to figure out whether that's all I want, or whether to go for flexibility with the $80 dongle.

Edit - the Google adapter looks good at $13 shipped.

Last edited:

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
I am just ordering Apple $79 adapter for the time being. Between charging, HDMI display and USB3 data - it gives me everything I need, and I know it will work with MacBook.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
I am just ordering Apple $79 adapter for the time being. Between charging, HDMI display and USB3 data - it gives me everything I need, and I know it will work with MacBook.

Yeah, you raise a good point... $15 here, $20 there, $20 elsewhere... once you get the features of the Google or Monoprice cables, you're going to be up to almost $50 for the same thing you get for $79 from Apple, plus with Apple you get one huge benefit... you can charge and have a USB plugged in at the same time. That's critical to me.

The one thing I'm wondering is extra chargers. I keep one charger for my laptop in my bag, and one at home. Wonder if third party chargers (i.e. google) will work... probably best to just stick to Apple, ehh?

----------

There is some USB-C stuff on Alibaba.com and Aliexpress.com

May as well buy them off eBay if you want cheap Chinese junk that takes 21-30 days for delivery from China.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Yeah, you raise a good point... $15 here, $20 there, $20 elsewhere... once you get the features of the Google or Monoprice cables, you're going to be up to almost $50 for the same thing you get for $79 from Apple, plus with Apple you get one huge benefit... you can charge and have a USB plugged in at the same time. That's critical to me.

The one thing I'm wondering is extra chargers. I keep one charger for my laptop in my bag, and one at home. Wonder if third party chargers (i.e. google) will work... probably best to just stick to Apple, ehh?

----------

May as well buy them off eBay if you want cheap Chinese junk that takes 21-30 days for delivery from China.

Chargers, yeah...I have three: one at home, one at work (so I don't have to carry one to work every day), and one at our second home (on an island off the coast of Maine, purchased because I forgot to pack the home charger a couple of times :( ). The one thing in favor of the rMB charger is that at least it's a whole lot smaller and more portable than the regular Macbook chargers. I haven't decided whether I am going to be buying extra chargers.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Chargers, yeah...I have three: one at home, one at work (so I don't have to carry one to work every day), and one at our second home (on an island off the coast of Maine, purchased because I forgot to pack the home charger a couple of times :( ). The one thing in favor of the rMB charger is that at least it's a whole lot smaller and more portable than the regular Macbook chargers. I haven't decided whether I am going to be buying extra chargers.

I think I'll spring for it. The only annoying part is if I want the extension, that's sold separate. To get the same thing that comes with the Air\Pro today, you have to spend $99 and buy 3 different items (the brick, the extender to the wall, and the cable to the computer). I don't think I've used my extender in 10 years as a mac user, so not a deal breaker to just not buy it I suppose.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I think I'll spring for it. The only annoying part is if I want the extension, that's sold separate. To get the same thing that comes with the Air\Pro today, you have to spend $99 and buy 3 different items (the brick, the extender to the wall, and the cable to the computer). I don't think I've used my extender in 10 years as a mac user, so not a deal breaker to just not buy it I suppose.

Hadn't focused on the extension but as you say I generally don't us them. But in another step forward from the current MBA/MBP chargers, the cable from the power adapter to the computer comes out - so it's easy to take (as long as you don't forget it). And hopefully we will have an end to fraying charger cables. :mad:

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Hadn't focused on the extension but as you say I generally don't us them. But in another step forward from the current MBA/MBP chargers, the cable from the power adapter to the computer comes out - so it's easy to take (as long as you don't forget it). And hopefully we will have an end to fraying charger cables. :mad:

I've never had an issue with fraying charge cables, LOL. But then again I don't spin in circles with my mac, LOL

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I've never had an issue with fraying charge cables, LOL. But then again I don't spin in circles with my mac, LOL

Nor have I...and I do not have wifi problems with Yosemite...and my rMBP display has not disintegrated..and miraculously enough my iPads and iPhones work perfectly...and...and...and...I should be buying lottery tickets, I'm obviously the luckiest guy on the planet, or at least the luckiest guy at MR? ;)

pasadena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
Seattle, WA

No, to get the same thing that comes with the Air/Pro today, you only need the extension cable. The brick and USB cable do come with the MB.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Nor have I...and I do not have wifi problems with Yosemite...and my rMBP display has not disintegrated..and miraculously enough my iPads and iPhones work perfectly...and...and...and...I should be buying lottery tickets, I'm obviously the luckiest guy on the planet, or at least the luckiest guy at MR? ;)

Or the guy who doesn't post because you're in the 92% of Apple consumers who are satisfied with the "awful, terrible, rip off, garbage products Apple makes". HEHEHEHEHE

----------

No, to get the same thing that comes with the Air/Pro today, you only need the extension cable. The brick and USB cable do come with the MB.

Try reading, you'll go further in life. Had you bothered to read the context, you'd see that we were talking about a replacement cable, to which I made the comparison that you need buy 3 items to get the same thing that comes with an Air\Pro right now.

1 - usb brick (that can plug directly into the wall)
1 - usb C cable (to connect the brick to the laptop)
1 - 3-pring AC plug that plugs into the brick should you want the same setup.

pasadena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
Seattle, WA
Try reading, you'll go further in life. Had you bothered to read the context, you'd see that we were talking about a replacement cable, to which I made the comparison that you need buy 3 items to get the same thing that comes with an Air\Pro right now.

1 - usb brick (that can plug directly into the wall)
1 - usb C cable (to connect the brick to the laptop)
1 - 3-pring AC plug that plugs into the brick should you want the same setup.

I did read. Try not to be such a jerk in most of your replies, you'll get further in life.

If you want to buy another charger for use at work for example, you also need to buy a new brick and extension cord for the Air. The difference is that the power cord is attached to the brick, so that's only 2 things, ok, but it also costs $30 more.

But if you want to get the same thing for your MB that comes in the box for the MBA, you only need an extension cord - which I fully agree is a douche move on Apple's part.

Reactions: jk4lebron23

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012

3rd-party USB-C chargers will work, as long as they support USB Power Delivery profile capable of providing enough power to rMB. Specially engineered USB-C cables are required to support 40W or 60W profiles. So I wouldn't necessarily assume the cheap-o Chinese USB-C cables will work out of the box.

But something like this should work just fine with rMB:

https://store.google.com/product/universal_type_c_60w_charger

Of course, with Google charging $60 - it's a whopping $18 savings over Apple's $78 option ($49 for AC adapter + 29 for cable). I'd rather stick with Apple here, especially since you get detachable USB-C cable.

But I don't think it will be too long before a lot cheaper alternatives will be available.

[edit: Google's charger does come with an additional 2m AC extension cable, so if such thing is important to you - there is that]

Last edited:

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
3rd-party USB-C chargers will work, as long as they support USB Power Delivery profile capable of providing enough power to rMB. Specially engineered USB-C cables are required to support 40W or 60W profiles. So I wouldn't necessarily assume the cheap-o Chinese USB-C cables will work out of the box.

But something like this should work just fine with rMB:

https://store.google.com/product/universal_type_c_60w_charger

Of course, with Google charging $60 - it's a whopping $12 savings over Apple's $78 option ($49 for AC adapter + 29 for cable). I'd rather stick with Apple here, especially since you get detachable USB-C cable.

But I don't think it will be too long before a lot cheaper alternatives will be available.

[edit: Google's charger does come with an additional 2m AC extension cable, so of such thing is important to you - there is that]

Wow, 60w? Isn't the rMB adapter 29w? I wonder what the physical dimensions of the Google adapter are (rhetorical question, I will look it up some time later).

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
I would like to see some third-party USB-C chargers. I love the Dart but I guess the 29W power adapter will be pretty small anyways. But I've just never really liked how the white Apple power adapters and cables.

That Kickstarter dock looks cool. I personally don't need anything like that. Once USB-C gets more and more devices, I'd be happy with a super small dock that just has a couple USB-C ports.

I really want a USB-C external Blu-ray drive, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.